The John Lambie Stand, or the North Terracing? And the City End?

Jaggernaut

In their previous attempt to destroy PTFC, the Scottish football authorities wrongly forced the club to ensure that they had at least 10,000 seats for spectators in Firhill or we would be denied promotion to the top tier. Of course everybody now knows that the "rule" was in fact fictitious, and that fiction was used to ensure that we got relegated to make way for a team that had nowhere near that amount of seating.

Anyway, although my memory of the precise timing of events between the construction of the student flats and the semi-erection (oooerr) of the north stand is a bit hazy, I wonder what people would prefer right now, and with a view to the (uncertain) future: the John Lambie Stand, or the north terracing?

And in an ideal world (which this ain't), what would people realistically like to see at the City End? A new terracing? A stand (probably necessarily smaller than the JL)? Simply a wall behind which some non-PTFC-related structure would stand?

Of course this is just a diversion as we and the club have much more pressing matters at hand, including which fishing resorts and industrial ghost towns  supporters are going to choose to go to or not if we find ourselves in the seaside league. 

a terracing  for standing fans capacity for about 1000. c/w male and female toilets

a medical centre for orthopaedics / foot injury and muscle injuries [deep tissue massage etc] - ideally this would be open to the public, and be part of NHS 'portfolio'

a match day lounge that has a viewing area [glassed area that can open]

a bike shed is not a bad idea …. not sure if cycling from Shawlands to Firhill in December is an option, but I would give it a go …. at least once

So many things, could be multi purpose - as someone said a place for their bikes, covered terracing of 1000, new changing rooms/training rooms, smoking area for the cancer brigade, internal club shop for purchases during games, food areas and probably more...

8 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

So many things, could be multi purpose - as someone said a place for their bikes, covered terracing of 1000, new changing rooms/training rooms, smoking area for the cancer brigade, internal club shop for purchases during games, food areas and probably more...

Ah Pinhead I went to give you a like there, probably for the first time ever. But I don't have any left.

Anyway totally agree. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JeanieD said:

A large bike shed to accommodate all the hundreds of bikes that spectators in the future will have travelled to the game on.

My dad once told me that when he and his brother were evacuated to just outside Perth during the war, they cycled to Falkirk to watch a game. He never told what they did with the bikes though.

17 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Few good ideas there. Any terracing no matter how small would require a bit of elevation. Non smoker myself but I like the nostalgia of having bike sheds and a smoking area. One and the same :).

As regards cycling to a match, a few years ago I decided to cycle to Cappielow and all was going well until a diversion through Houston resulted in a puncture. Soldiered on but had to stop every half mile to pump up tyre. Missed game which was infuriating as we won but just got train home instead. 

Went toCappielow by paddle steamer once though.

I'd replace with safe standing in case the time came when Scottish football adopted a modern approach that suited fans.

I'm sure however, the idea would be vetoed, as it contravened a completely made up bylaw of some kind. A bit like last time.

I'd have a café and other useful stuff round the back that could be opened to the public all week.

15 hours ago, JeanieD said:

As regards cycling to a match, a few years ago I decided to cycle to Cappielow and all was going well until a diversion through Houston resulted in a puncture. Soldiered on but had to stop every half mile to pump up tyre. Missed game which was infuriating as we won but just got train home instead. 

We could take a fleet of barges (long and narrow, so good for social distancing) from the Firhill Basin to Stockingfield Junction and then along the Forth & Clyde Canal for the Falkirk away game. As Falkirk were among the good guys, no boycott issues arise, so there could be a large away support.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

We could take a fleet of barges (long and narrow, so good for social distancing) from the Firhill Basin to Stockingfield Junction and then along the Forth & Clyde Canal for the Falkirk away game. As Falkirk were among the good guys, no boycott issues arise, so there could be a large away support.

Will there be a wee boy saying "watch yer barge, mister"?

On 5/11/2020 at 12:01 AM, JeanieD said:

I don't think anyone will ever be able to top going to a match by paddle steamer!!! :worship:

12 hours ago, JeanieD said:

September weekend 1980/1/2 ish [can't rightly remember tbh]  just across from Helensburgh to Greenock - got strange looks on the boat and verbal abuse as I walked along from the quay side to Cappielow!

Were you the paddlesteamers captian?

Did the passengers think they were getting a "Trip doon the water" only for you to leave their boat moored at Cappielow for 2 hours