14 years ago today

Jimmy McD

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

What happy memories driving back down the road from Peterhead.....If only we had the spirit of that team a few months back...Happy days...

If I remember correctly that team were even worse than this year's shower. Finished fourth in Div 2, nearly threw away a 3-1 lead at home in the semi and fluked a last minute deflection in the final after Peterhead blew a stack of chances.

Was driving down to Campbeltown that day  with mrs peaty driving her car behind me. Both of us tuned to radio,  tooting horns and fists out the windows going through lochgilphead. The rozzers would have had a field day if they were about!

Sometimes you don't  need to be at a game to be part of it. 

One of those "rather emotional" matches that crop up every now and then.......:D

Is this line-up accurate? Are the descriptions accurate?

Arthur (legend)

Murray (terrible)

Marc Smyth (average)

J. Gibson (average)

B. Gibson (average)

Strachan (failed potential)

Roberts (legend)

Subs

Colin Steward (nope)

Snowdon (too good for us)

Kilgannon (average)

Hodge (legend!)

Nicholas (average)

Paul Ritchie (finished when he came to us, but forever remembered for the winning penalty)

Edited by Jaggernaut

I had tickets to the radio 1 big weekend in Dundee that day and decided to go to Peterhead instead!  Sure it was Pink headlining so wasn't all that fussed? Great decision anyway and what a nervy game, amazing celebrations at the end.

14 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

One of those "rather emotional" matches that crop up every now and then.......:D

Is this line-up accurate? Are the descriptions accurate?

Arthur (legend)

Murray (terrible)

Marc Smyth (average)

J. Gibson (average)

B. Gibson (average)

Strachan (failed potential)

Roberts (legend)

Subs

Colin Steward (nope)

Snowdon (too good for us)

Kilgannon (average)

Hodge (legend!)

Nicholas (average)

Paul Ritchie (finished when he came to us, but forever remembered for the winning penalty)

I'm sure we kicked off with eleven players, so not very accurate...

973228813_download(4).thumb.jpeg.08d88fed4f0707a42166617faeb8ca6d.jpeg

Arthur was good at that level. Certainly miles ahead of Colin 'Clown Shoes' Stewart.

Murray was solid if unspectacular and ended up in the SPL the following season.

Boab McCulloch was a cult hero and a pretty good left back at that level.

Snowdon and Smyth again steady if unspectacular.

Scott Boyd was a player I liked and he went on to play lot of games at the SPL/ Premiership level with KFC and County.

Billy Gibson was okay and will always be remembered for his free kick, even though I don't think even he knew where it was headed for.

Jimmy Gibson was alright too but not much good for us further up the leagues.

Stephen McConalogue...moving swiftly on...

Mark Roberts - we'd have been pretty screwed without his goals and effort tbqh.

Adam Strachan - provided some flair and creativity out wide. Soon went off the rails sadly.

Subs.

Colin Stewart - Clown Shoes

Sandy Hodge - not very talented and never really hacked it at Firfill.

Sean Kilgallon - had a catchy song but that was down to his name rather than any on pitch endeavours from what I recall...scored a penalty in the shootout.

Paul Ritchie - end of career journeyman. Scored winning penalty that's about it...

Overall a pretty meh team. It was a pretty meh season overall tbf.

We played Peterhead 6 times that season and won one game, drew one and lost four to them. 

They must have been absolutely raging to lose out.

Credit to Dick Campbell for getting that mob promoted but he'd soon be back down the leagues.

I found the game seemed to take forever and ever and Peterhead was a strange place. I felt relief more than any joy with the result on the day.

However I'll be happy to make the journey next year if we get the chance to play up there...

ETA: Forgot about Steven Nicholas...nuff said!

Edited by jagfox

Arthur, Murray, Smith, Boyd, McCulloch, Snowdon, Gibson (J), GIBSON (B), Strachan, McConalogue, ROBERTS.    Nicholas, Ritchie, Kilgannon.

Never quite understood the opinions expressed about Murray.  Not the most gifted player ever to pull on a Thistle jersey certainly but surely not the worst by a long chalk. Season 05/06 saw him play every minute of 52 competitive fixtures, 4 friendlies and 4 bouts of extra time - the equivalent of 57.3 matches.

The phrase, "the term legend gets thrown about a lot these days" has never been more applicable. Sandy Hodge a legend? That description is very generous at best never mind wholly inaccurate. 

Also Will Snowdon - too good for us? That in itself almost warrants the admin to get involved here and close this thread down :)

Edited by MonehJags
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the correct line-up, Jagfox and afk. So, my revised evaluations:

Arthur: Decent

Murray: One of our worst ever captains. A disciple of the back-off-and-don't-tackle-school-of-defending.

Boab McCulloch: Cult hero indeed! 

Snowdon and Smyth: Snowdon: clearly too good for us, went on to do well in the English top flight. Couldn't get the others perfect the goose-step free-kick routine. Smyth: average.

Scott Boyd: Better than many people thought, and carved out a long career at a higher level than us. 

Billy Gibson: Jagfox gets it right: okay and will always be remembered for his free kick, even though I don't think even he knew where it was headed for.

Jimmy Gibson: hard worker, but bang average.

Stephen McConalogue: I thought he was decent enough, given the other dross we had at the time.

Mark Roberts: legend

Adam Strachan: could have been a successful player..... shame it went the way it did.

Subs.

Colin Stewart: Nope.

Sandy Hodge: Legend! (Tongue in cheek)

Sean Kilgannon - decent and/or average.

Paul Ritchie - end of career journeyman. Scored winning penalty that's about it...

Steven Nicholas: average... even at this level.

51 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Thanks for the correct line-up, Jagfox and afk. So, my revised evaluations:

Arthur: Decent

Murray: One of our worst ever captains. A disciple of the back-off-and-don't-tackle-school-of-defending.

Boab McCulloch: Cult hero indeed! 

Snowdon and Smyth: Snowdon: clearly too good for us, went on to do well in the English top flight. Couldn't get the others perfect the goose-step free-kick routine. Smyth: average.

Scott Boyd: Better than many people thought, and carved out a long career at a higher level than us. 

Billy Gibson: Jagfox gets it right: okay and will always be remembered for his free kick, even though I don't think even he knew where it was headed for.

Jimmy Gibson: hard worker, but bang average.

Stephen McConalogue: I thought he was decent enough, given the other dross we had at the time.

Mark Roberts: legend

Adam Strachan: could have been a successful player..... shame it went the way it did.

Subs.

Colin Stewart: Nope.

Sandy Hodge: Legend! (Tongue in cheek)

Sean Kilgannon - decent and/or average.

Steven Nicholas: average... even at this level.

I think you are mixing up Snowdon with someone else! Are you thinking of the boy from Stoke, Wilkinson?

1 hour ago, jags on tour said:

I think you are mixing up Snowdon with someone else! Are you thinking of the boy from Stoke, Wilkinson?

No its definitely Snowdon, sure he went onto play for the mighty Bo-ness not long after, what heady days when we could watch guys like that in the famous Red an Yella :)

Guess that was the greatest get out of jail free day I've witnessed following Thistle. I've heard it from a few and I've no reason to doubt it but we were heading for real financial hardship had we not escaped that division. Whatever we paid Mark Roberts that season was arguably the best money spent ever at Firhill. Paying most of his teammates was a crime, tho'.

I can mind the Bunnet telling us that he told us he'd get us out that division first time asking. What he conveniently forgot to mention was when he made his prediction the play offs hadn't been created, and it was still two up - two down when he opened his mouth. 

Grant Murray was one of the weirdest footballers in so much as the lower down the leagues he played the worse he got. Used to players say like Muirhead & Balatoni playing solid in one division but struggling big time when they step up a league. Murray was the other way around. The one thing with a player like that is you certainly don't make him captain. 

Most of us will remember that game for Billy Gibson's free kick. Close on that for me was Paul Ritchie's penalty. Not many players can claim their last kick of the ball for a club was that important. Especially as up to that kick he done near hee haw in his time with us.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MonehJags said:

The phrase, "the term legend gets thrown about a lot these days" has never been more applicable. Sandy Hodge a legend? That description is very generous at best never mind wholly inaccurate. 

Also Will Snowdon - too good for us? That in itself almost warrants the admin to get involved here and close this thread down :)

Maybe thinking of Bryan rather than Sandy Hodge. Bryan had so much skill that he inspired the legendary song "We all dream of a team of Bryan Hodge."

Scored a handful of great goals and at times could be effective as a "quarterback midfielder", dropping back and spraying passes. However, he could not tackle cleanly, his early promise soon fizzled out and I cannot remember what happened to him.

19 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Maybe thinking of Bryan rather than Sandy Hodge. Bryan had so much skill that he inspired the legendary song "We all dream of a team of Bryan Hodge."

Scored a handful of great goals and at times could be effective as a "quarterback midfielder", dropping back and spraying passes. However, he could not tackle cleanly, his early promise soon fizzled out and I cannot remember what happened to him.

He had a spell with Stenny. I got them mixed up as well by the way. Sandy Hodge? <<<shivers>>>

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

He had a spell with Stenny. I got them mixed up as well by the way. Sandy Hodge? <<<shivers>>>

Sandy Hodge was awful. A big defender, who could no doubt have put his body, head and feet to good use if he had ever thought about it. Instead his only tactic was to push people over, inevitably conceding free kicks in dangerous positions. I remember one time out by the JHS touchline near what would now be the JLS end. Morton player with his back to goal and going nowhere. Sandy runs towards him. You can hear everyone shouting "Don't push him!". And what does he do? He pushes him. Free kick conceded. Ball whipped over. Morton score. Not the only time that scenario was enacted.

My only positive memory of Sandy was away at Raith Rovers on a freezing winter midweek night. It was so cold that three of us in a row had all purchased hot Bovrils at half time. Sandy scored (I think his only goal for Thistle) an equaliser immediately after half time. The usual wild celebration would have been dangerous with hot liquid flying around, so we were reduced to a rather restrained slow pumping of the free hand up into the air.