Football but not as we know it.

jagfox

Good to see the Bundesliga 1 and 2 start up again this weekend. 

I've enjoyed a few Belarusian Premier League matches over the last couple of weeks.

A few Asian leagues have started up too. The K-league started up in South Korea last weekend.

Just a wee thread for anyone taking an interest in any specific teams or leagues over the coming weeks/ months as we await the return of our boys in red and yellow.

I've adopted Energetik BGU Minsk, Eintracht Frankfurt and Hannover96 in honour of @German Jag

Bundesliga 2 kicks off at noon and Belarus games are staggered from 1pm live on You Tube. Just search Belarus Premier League for free live stream.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Colognejag said:

As a Mainz 05 fan, somewhat ironic that the first match back is in Cologne!

My first year in Germany was in a town near Mainz and my neighbours took me along to matches. There was a certain Jürgen Klopp playing in defence for Mainz that year.

Jurgen Klopp? Whatever happened to him?

Edited by Garscube Road End

1 hour ago, Colognejag said:

As a Mainz 05 fan, somewhat ironic that the first match back is in Cologne!

My first year in Germany was in a town near Mainz and my neighbours took me along to matches. There was a certain Jürgen Klopp playing in defence for Mainz that year.

I've been to a game at Mainz ( and Cologne ), two good grounds.

9 minutes ago, thebiglemon said:

Can’t get excited at the thought of football in Belarus or Germany without fans.

Glad they are finishing their season though.

But that would have been impossible here, right?

Fans are at games in Belarus.

1 hour ago, thebiglemon said:

I know, but it’s Belarus!! 

I didn’t care before and it’s impossible to care now.

I am filling the void with doing more of the things I actually enjoyed before lockdown

Why are you even on the thread then? :lol:

1 hour ago, thebiglemon said:

I know, but it’s Belarus!! 

I didn’t care before and it’s impossible to care now.

I am filling the void with doing more of the things I actually enjoyed before lockdown

Sounds like you are a disgruntled Belshina Bobruisk fan.  Things will get better.  ;)

• Haha 1

from kheredine at bbc
Am being told to expect  the @spfl to ‘call’ the Premiership on Monday, with @CelticFC being declared Scottish champions for the 9th year in a row. And @JamTarts relegated, pending another attempt at league reconstruction, which could now be resurrected.  @BBCSportsound from 2pm

here we go again....

WaTching Leipzig / Freiburg 

Gotta say it fills a bit of the void more than classic reruns.

I love the fact that they still announce subs and such over the PA system and music after a goal.

Never been a fan of the Bundesliga but it is a good show.

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

from kheredine at bbc
Am being told to expect  the @spfl to ‘call’ the Premiership on Monday, with @CelticFC being declared Scottish champions for the 9th year in a row. And @JamTarts relegated, pending another attempt at league reconstruction, which could now be resurrected.  @BBCSportsound from 2pm

here we go again....

Wrong thread...

My brother told me that he started watching one of the German games yesterday, so did his neighbour. Independently they both gave up and said it was like watching paint dry, but with even less atmosphere. A German friend has told me that viewers (in Germany at least) have the option off adding canned crowd sounds from previous matches. 

Does anybody really think that a lot of people will pay tv companies a lot of money to watch this? For me the novelty would wear off pretty quickly, even if it was Thistle.

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

My brother told me that he started watching one of the German games yesterday, so did his neighbour. Independently they both gave up and said it was like watching paint dry, but with even less atmosphere. A German friend has told me that viewers (in Germany at least) have the option off adding canned crowd sounds from previous matches. 

Does anybody really think that a lot of people will pay tv companies a lot of money to watch this? For me the novelty would wear off pretty quickly, even if it was Thistle.

Agree. Being in a crowd with fellow fans is a big part of the match day experience. I heard Amir Khan in an interview a few weeks ago say a boxing match without a crowd would be just like a sparring  session.

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

These games are in order to finish a league season to avert repaying a load of money to media stations. If the concept of TV only football is to go on another season then it will need to change. Who knows what the outcome of that will be.

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Watched the mighty Mainz get a well-deserved draw against Köln today with the sound option on - made a massive difference to be honest. They have done it very well. Subtle, and even the faint sound of away fans songs.The Dortmund vs Schalke derby was so flat without the sound - I gave up on that after 15 minutes.

2 hours ago, Colognejag said:

Watched the mighty Mainz get a well-deserved draw against Köln today with the sound option on - made a massive difference to be honest. They have done it very well. Subtle, and even the faint sound of away fans songs.The Dortmund vs Schalke derby was so flat without the sound - I gave up on that after 15 minutes.

Hi cj, hope you and your family are well. How has the behind closed doors games been received in Germany. I am sure football returning has been welcomed, but if no fans were allowed into stadium's say for the rest of this year, would the enthusiasm soon disappear ?

I have not seen any of the German football. From what I have read, various infection prevention and social distancing protocols are being observed before and after the game, and also during  the game as regards substitutes, coaching teams, press pack etc. But as far as I understand it, the players  on the pitch are getting in and about each other just as normal. What is the point of all these precautions when sweaty players are engaged in touch tight marking and are coming into contact with each other all over the place? 

On a minor sub-point, are walls still being used to defend free kicks around the penalty box? If so, presumably the defending players are lining up contiguously  rather than resembling the Standing Stones of Callanish.

3 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I have not seen any of the German football. From what I have read, various infection prevention and social distancing protocols are being observed before and after the game, and also during  the game as regards substitutes, coaching teams, press pack etc. But as far as I understand it, the players  on the pitch are getting in and about each other just as normal. What is the point of all these precautions when sweaty players are engaged in touch tight marking and are coming into contact with each other all over the place? 

On a minor sub-point, are walls still being used to defend free kicks around the penalty box? If so, presumably the defending players are lining up contiguously  rather than resembling the Standing Stones of Callanish.

Haha, a wall with each of the players 2 metres apart..... I wanna see that!