Thistle v Man City - Ibrox

ctm

Anyone who was there shed any light on this game? was there much of a thistle support?

seen the odd pic but don't know if it was anything more than a run of the mill glorified friendly.

mind attending a few friendlies in the 80's at firhill against  English league opposition that didn't have particularly good crowds.

#lockdownsaturdayboredom

Partick Thistle v Manchester City Tennant Caledonian Cup 3rd Place ...

Pre season tournament at Ibrox sponsored by Tennents in  late July or early August. I was on holiday so I missed it. It was us, Man City, Rangers and Southampton (I think). As I wasn’t there I don’t remember any other details but I think we played on Saturday and Sunday. 

I was there. Apart from that I remember next to nothing about it. It was a glorified preseason friendly event. Think we were asked to take part as we'd just won promotion to the top flight in the first season after reorganisation. Don't especially remember Southampton, but they may have been the second English team. Have the feeling we only played Man City and Rangers. 

Edited by Muscat Jag

partick-thistle-tennant-caledonian-76-to-77-tueart-3rd-city-goal.jpg.b2b09e5def99722698d6279f40fb0fc1.jpg

partick-1976-to-77-action3-788x1024.thumb.jpg.49588ec2df6228446a667b3d63830bcf.jpg

partick-1976-to-77-action-1024x767.thumb.jpg.3dcf41354217d2298e5c161a701cc854.jpg

Got beat 4-1. Jim Melrose (ironically) with the consolation.

City Corrigan, Docherty, Donachie, Doyle, Watson, Hartford, Lernan, Power, Royle, Kidd, Tueart

Kidd 2, Hartford and Tueart scored for City.

2 hours ago, gus 57 said:

I was there. Sitting opposite the main stand on railway sleepers like Clydebank and Morton had/have. Mick Channon scored against us. That's all I remember.

I don’t think he did. Was he not a Southampton  player at the time? We didn't play Southampton. My memory is as per the link, narrow defeat to the hosts on the Saturday and a comprehensive defeat to Man City on the Sunday.

I remember being there there both days as young 7 year old. Having taken my own kids to games when they were young I imagine that I was an absolute pain to my father if I had to sit through 4 matches over 2 days.

Edited by ClydebankJag

The games were one after the other.  I was at the two games on the first day. City and Southampton played out a  "friendly type" draw and it went to penalties. After 11-11 on penalties it was going to be too much of a  delayed kick of for Jags and Rangers so they tossed a coin.  Jags then lost 2-0. It was a long night of football and we were late home. I didn't go to the third place play off and final the next day.