Playing Staff

Juanito

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Interesting tweet

We have Fox and Bannigan at the moment. Erskine and Lawless have been freed by livingston, Paton by Dunfermline and Doolan by Morton.

Don't really see a spot for Paton now Docherty is signed. Lawless looks unaffordable. However I'd take Erskine back, particularly if Cardle is away and I'd take Doolan as a backup striker on a part-time basis.

I think the only others from 2012/13 that could be possibilities are Craigen, Welsh and Scully. I suppose the 5/6 in the tweet could be counting Archibald?

I loved that team and the guys in it, but these guys are all 8 years older, and slower to boot. Doolan - 33, Erskine -  33, Paton - 33.

We need to be looking forward and bring young guys in that are hungry and can improve over time to hopefully not see one season and a push for promotion, but the following seasons too

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I loved that team and the guys in it, but these guys are all 8 years older, and slower to boot. Doolan - 33, Erskine -  33, Paton - 33.

We need to be looking forward and bring young guys in that are hungry and can improve over time to hopefully not see one season and a push for promotion, but the following seasons too

I’d still think it would be crazy if we are in league one (it would be different if we were in the championship as we would have more money to spend)money on a far from performing Doolan when we McManus is a free agent or we should be doing everything we can to hold onto Graham and Rudden. 
regarding Paton and Lawless was there not something about them having possible  fall outs with Archie - which may impact them coming back if they were.  Then again if they are all adults then they can make up and the pandemic has u guess made a lot of people reassess their lives. 

2 minutes ago, sandy said:

Lawless is still playing well. I agree with m’lady about taking Craigen back. 

Erskine still in good shape, could be a useful sub. I don’t know enough about Dools performances to comment on him. 

Lets also remember the way in which both Erskine and Doolan's departure was communicated, and allowed to happen. Them at the helm who allowed it to happen in the atrocious manner are back there now

• Like 1

Lawless was outstanding did Livvy. 

I assume it was strictly finances that caused his release. I’d love to see him back(not at left back!) to play as a 10 or out wide. His assists for Livvy were huge. 

Nobody assisted Anybody in our team this/last season!

4 hours ago, laukat said:

Interesting tweet

We have Fox and Bannigan at the moment. Erskine and Lawless have been freed by livingston, Paton by Dunfermline and Doolan by Morton.

Don't really see a spot for Paton now Docherty is signed. Lawless looks unaffordable. However I'd take Erskine back, particularly if Cardle is away and I'd take Doolan as a backup striker on a part-time basis.

I think the only others from 2012/13 that could be possibilities are Craigen, Welsh and Scully. I suppose the 5/6 in the tweet could be counting Archibald?

Are you sure Morton have released Doolan or indeed any player? I was having a look on their website and could not see an announcement about players leaving?

3 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Lawless was outstanding did Livvy. 

I assume it was strictly finances that caused his release. I’d love to see him back(not at left back!) to play as a 10 or out wide. His assists for Livvy were huge. 

Nobody assisted Anybody in our team this/last season!

Think Stevie Lawless turned down their contract offer , I’m sure he’s got something else lined up but not sure we could afford him .

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Think Stevie Lawless turned down their contract offer , I’m sure he’s got something else lined up but not sure we could afford him .

I don't think he'd drop 2 divisions even if we could. I think he did well at Livvy so I'm sure he'll stay in the Premiership

Surprised Lawless has been released as he seemed to be a 'big' player for Livingston.  Maybe he priced himself out of the club and as jaggy suggests has something lined up! 

Personally he is not one of the players I would want to see back at Firhill. I have trust and commitment issues with Lawless and thought during his last 2 years with us he didn't seem committed to the cause! 

Wouldn't mind Craigen and Doolan but that's about it for me. Was also thinking our new signing Docherty was a replacement for Bannigan (whom I think has had his day) but apparently not! 

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

Surprised Lawless has been released as he seemed to be a 'big' player for Livingston.  Maybe he priced himself out of the club and as jaggy suggests has something lined up! 

Personally he is not one of the players I would want to see back at Firhill. I have trust and commitment issues with Lawless and thought during his last 2 years with us he didn't seem committed to the cause! 

Wouldn't mind Craigen and Doolan but that's about it for me. Was also thinking our new signing Docherty was a replacement for Bannigan (whom I think has had his day) but apparently not! 

Banzo’s testimonial year , don’t think he’s going anywhere but you never can tell!!

I agree that he’s probably got something better lined up.

Stevie was constantly messed about by Archibald and rarely played in his most effective position. If he got pissed off it’s no surprise although personally I thought he was always willing.

I wasn’t too disappointed when he left but just look how difficult he has been to replace. I think we miss him more than anyone.

I think wee Stevie showed loads of commitment when he was forced to play left back  for several games and as weebaw1 said he was constantly messed about by Archie

5 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I think wee Stevie showed loads of commitment when he was forced to play left back  for several games and as weebaw1 said he was constantly messed about by Archie

Agree with this.

Wee Stevie did an admirable job out-of-position at LWB, however his absence in midfield in favour of Barton and Edwards was a prime factor that led to relegation.

Stevie Lawless was messed around by Archibald?

The same Stevie Lawless that was on record thanking Archibald for standing by him and saving his career after the ban for betting on matches?

So Archibald is now to blame for a Premier League player (who probably just had the best season of his career) for not wanting to return to League 1 Thistle?!

Lawless ended up playing LWB due to the injures we had at the time and the lack of cover (that is something you can blame Archie for).  He played well there and has ironically also started games there for Livi as well.

We need to forget the past and move on.

Doolan and Erskine were great players for us but neither were up to it in their last spell with us. Sure, we'll be playing at a level below but I think there will be plenty of players out of contract who will be better bets for us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, King Kenny said:

Stevie Lawless was messed around by Archibald?

The same Stevie Lawless that was on record thanking Archibald for standing by him and saving his career after the ban for betting on matches?

So Archibald is now to blame for a Premier League player (who probably just had the best season of his career) for not wanting to return to League 1 Thistle?!

Lawless ended up playing LWB due to the injures we had at the time and the lack of cover (that is something you can blame Archie for).  He played well there and has ironically also started games there for Livi as well.

We need to forget the past and move on.

Doolan and Erskine were great players for us but neither were up to it in their last spell with us. Sure, we'll be playing at a level below but I think there will be plenty of players out of contract who will be better bets for us.

Would disagree with that. There was cover but there were also three full backs who were injured before Lawless was put there - Mustapha Dumbuya, Callum Booth and Christie Elliott.

6 minutes ago, G SUS said:

Would disagree with that. There was cover but there were also three full backs who were injured before Lawless was put there - Mustapha Dumbuya, Callum Booth and Christie Elliott.

What was a mistake was Archie by the end of the second year of Muzzys contract not Accepting how injury prone this guy was and not making a move for the freed from Luton SOD thus allowing Killie to snap him up and instead Keeping Muzzy on who if I recall played a total of 2 games in his last year of contract 

15 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I agree that he’s probably got something better lined up.

Stevie was constantly messed about by Archibald and rarely played in his most effective position. If he got pissed off it’s no surprise although personally I thought he was always willing.

I wasn’t too disappointed when he left but just look how difficult he has been to replace. I think we miss him more than anyone.

Stevie's best positions were on the right of the attacking midfield trio or slightly more central tucked in behind the striker. His goals against Motherwell (late on at Firhill) and St Johnstone (at Perth in the game where Gary Miller also scored a cracker) were examples of Lawless playing to his strengths in the right position. On the debit side he was wasted played (out of necessity) at left back/left wingback and he rarely shined for any sustained period further forward on the same flank.

Lawless was probably more tolerant about being played out of position as I believe Archie handled his off field problems sympathetically. Otherwise I reckon he'd have been offski a season or so earlier. I too wasn't that disappointed when he left. I think tho' you have to compare Stevie's form of last season in the top league with that of his nearest replacement, Cardle, with us. And similarly Cardle was by and large played too often on the wrong side of the park. In his case down the right flank instead of out left and cutting in on his right like a sort of a mirror image of Stevie.  

23 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

What was a mistake was Archie by the end of the second year of Muzzys contract not Accepting how injury prone this guy was and not making a move for the freed from Luton SOD thus allowing Killie to snap him up and instead Keeping Muzzy on who if I recall played a total of 2 games in his last year of contract 

From what I was told, SOD's agent approached Thistle when he was freed from Luton, but we weren't interested in him

• Like 3
  • Sad 1