Playing Staff

Juanito

10 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I suspect it is more that we were not interested in his wage demands rather than him. 

We defo weren't interested..Sod was desperate to come back but it was made clear we werent interested..nothing to do with money...big mistake imo from archie...we signed McGinn and the Czech guy instead..

16 minutes ago, Whitelees jag said:

We defo weren't interested..Sod was desperate to come back but it was made clear we werent interested..nothing to do with money...big mistake imo from archie...we signed McGinn and the Czech guy instead..

Not true , we were in for SOD , he decided to go to Kilmarnock.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not true , we were in for SOD , he decided to go to Kilmarnock.

Think we are drifting into the territory of " i know something you dont know because a guy with a dog down the pub told me and he knows his brothers best mate"

1 hour ago, Dark Passenger said:

The biggest mistake we made in recent times in regard to right backs was ignoring Liam Smith when Hearts freed him.

Did we not have an option to sign Lyle Taylor for 35k from Sheff Utd back when he was on loan but never stumped up the cash?  Same amount we would splurge a few years later signing Miles Storey.  If my memory serves me well that was one of the biggest mistakes in recent times.

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

Did we not have an option to sign Lyle Taylor for 35k from Sheff Utd back when he was on loan but never stumped up the cash?  Same amount we would splurge a few years later signing Miles Storey.  If my memory serves me well that was one of the biggest mistakes in recent times.

I seem to mind we were close to signing Lyle Taylor in the summer of 2014, just missing out with our bid. Had we even drawn the last game of the 13-14 season (at home to County) we'd have ended up 3 league places better off. Tend to believe we didn't get him due to budgetary reasons rather than valuation reasons and downing tools after yon midweek Hearts game cost us big time.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I seem to mind we were close to signing Lyle Taylor in the summer of 2014, just missing out with our bid. Had we even drawn the last game of the 13-14 season (at home to County) we'd have ended up 3 league places better off. Tend to believe we didn't get him due to budgetary reasons rather than valuation reasons and downing tools after yon midweek Hearts game cost us big time.

He went to League 1 ( Scunthorpe ) who could no doubt offer him far better wages.

On 6/2/2020 at 8:36 PM, jaggy said:

I think wee Stevie showed loads of commitment when he was forced to play left back  for several games and as weebaw1 said he was constantly messed about by Archie

I see  your point about Lawless playing LWB  but don't see this as anything special. Bannigan was also played in this position.  Being asked to play out of position is part and parcel of the modern game and IMO doesn't attract a merit badge. It's what players are expected to do to help the mamager/team fill a problem position or execute a tactical plan! 

My doubt about his commitment was based on the number of games which I saw where he, like Cardle and Zanatta, just disappeared from the game eventually to be substituted.  So afraid my opinion about his commitment remains unchanged! 

Why I wonder did Archibald not offer him a new contract? 

6 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I see  your point about Lawless playing LWB  but don't see this as anything special. Bannigan was also played in this position.  Being asked to play out of position is part and parcel of the modern game and IMO doesn't attract a merit badge. It's what players are expected to do to help the mamager/team fill a problem position or execute a tactical plan! 

My doubt about his commitment was based on the number of games which I saw where he, like Cardle and Zanatta, just disappeared from the game eventually to be substituted.  So afraid my opinion about his commitment remains unchanged! 

Because this was one of his many mistakes, a combination of events that resulted in relegation.

There is an excellent article in today’s herald in which Stevie discusses the very point about playing left back in addition to questioning how we managed to get relegated with a relatively talented squad.

Hes hardly physically suited to playing there! Would Celtic have played Jinky there? Or Rangers Cooper or Henderson?

It was crass stupidity. Stevie did well not to throw a hissy fit.

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

So would it have been acceptable to play Dools in goal in your opinion? 

One clean sheet all season was pretty poor. He must have something else lined up or its a very strange decision to leave a club and get no income for an unlimited amount of time.

it was reported that none of McCalls signings had relegation clauses, Fox was a Caldwell signing so he may have had a relegation clause.  Just guessing but think he would have been a higher earner anyway 

• Like 1

When he was with us the first time at least he recycled the ball quickly. Many a promising move started from the back in yon days. When he returned his attitude to speedy distribution was almost Cernyesque. Actually thought that Fox's lethargic approach to recycling was the equal of his other more reported failings. 

I wasn't over critical about most of our players last season as I believe our problems were more complex than simple lack of ability. Fox tho', is one I'm happy enough to see leave.