Playing Staff

Juanito

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

I'd be amazed if any Premiership club was even remotely interested in signing one of our players. They are basically duds even at a level below the Premiership.

Actually, I disagree. Several of them have performed much better at higher levels - Fox played for last seasons champions and Banzo was proven in the SPL. O'Ware and Williamson were decent for Morton and Dunfermline, but for some reason nether Caldwell nor McCall could get the best out of them.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Actually, I disagree. Several of them have performed much better at higher levels - Fox played for last seasons champions and Banzo was proven in the SPL. O'Ware and Williamson were decent for Morton and Dunfermline, but for some reason nether Caldwell nor McCall could get the best out of them.  

Agree. And the leagues us are now abundant with players who had fallen out of favour at Thistle.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:04 AM, Third Lanark said:

You usually make a lot of good points. But in this I could not believe you to be more further wrong. Lawless never hid IMO and it is ridiculous and a bit insulting to even compare him to zanatta who has hid in about 60 per cent of games. In his last season Doolan disappeared in many games but he never hid, same as Lawless

Thanks for recognising that I usually make some good points. I appreciate this. 

In respect of Lawless and in fact all players  I form my views on what I see. I admit Lawless was a far better servant to the Jags than Zanatta (and Cardle) but nevertheless I felt for sometime he was looking to get away and I think this was clear in his performances. 

I know you will not agree with this opinion. 

Now that is definitely League 1, what are people's thoughts on the type of players needed to get out of it at the first attempt.? Is our present squad( as of today) good enough? Will our board ensure McCall has maximum support? And will McCall actually step up and prove he has what it takes to get us back up first time?

Edited by Garscube Road End

Think the initial problem would be how do we pay full time players with no income whilst part time teams will just hibernate and start up when pre-season for our league kicks in.

No start date for League 1 and it will be at least 4 months till any gate money comes in, also if our league starts behind the championship most players would take a solid offer of known football and pay vs a maybe we will start around the same time offer, so we will not have our pick of players to improve the squad.

18 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Now that is definitely League 1, what are people's thoughts on the type of players needed to get out of it at the first attempt.? Is our present squad( as of today) good enough? Will our board ensure McCall has maximum support? And will McCall actually step up and prove he has what it takes to get us back up first time?

I attempt to answer your points below:

Type of player: players who show energy, belef, enthusiasm and commitment; who are willing to fight and  run all day, have a positive and  winning attitude and who make things happen! We also need a reasonable level of footballing skill and especially pace throughout the squad.  All the above qualities we haven't seen in the past 3 years. As we progress through the Divisions to the SPL we   will need to increase the skill and football brain elements. 

Squad good enough for promotion: nearly but not yet! 

Board support for McCall: Yes

Can McCall get us promoted: Yes. Longer term I see him in a Director of Football type role. 

In general we really need the whole club but especially the playing side, to be more positive and filled with people, especially players, who look as if they really want to play for thr Jags!  As for us fans we need to be more positive and less critical of individual players, more enthusiastic and loud particularly when a game is going against us! We need to focus more  on supporting and lifting the team and less on off-field Board room matters. 

The best way to shaft the SPFL and its members is to win games. When clubs we know who are against us (votes or comments) come to Firhill we should give them  hell everytime their players touch the ball. We should also display big Anti-SPFL banners all around the ground.  Another tee shirt BB? 

While appreciating our friends (16 clubs who supported reconstruction), we should make sure for the other 26 clubs Firhill is 90 minutes of hell including their Directors and Officials who watch the game from the JHS!  Anti-Club (specific) banners would be good. 

No more Mr Nice Guy for certain clubs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I attempt to answer your points below:

Type of player: players who show energy, belef, enthusiasm and commitment; who are willing to fight and  run all day, have a positive and  winning attitude and who make things happen! We also need a reasonable level of footballing skill and especially pace throughout the squad.  All the above qualities we haven't seen in the past 3 years. As we progress through the Divisions to the SPL we   will need to increase the skill and football brain elements. 

Squad good enough for promotion: nearly but not yet! 

Board support for McCall: Yes

Can McCall get us promoted: Yes. Longer term I see him in a Director of Football type role. 

In general we really need the whole club but especially the playing side, to be more positive and filled with people, especially players, who look as if they really want to play for thr Jags!  As for us fans we need to be more positive and less critical of individual players, more enthusiastic and loud particularly when a game is going against us! We need to focus more  on supporting and lifting the team and less on off-field Board room matters. 

The best way to shaft the SPFL and its members is to win games. When clubs we know who are against us (votes or comments) come to Firhill we should give them  hell everytime their players touch the ball. We should also display big Anti-SPFL banners all around the ground.  Another tee shirt BB? 

While appreciating our friends (16 clubs who supported reconstruction), we should make sure for the other 26 clubs Firhill is 90 minutes of hell including their Directors and Officials who watch the game from the JHS!  Anti-Club (specific) banners would be good. 

No more Mr Nice Guy for certain clubs. 

Do not know if it is a breach of rules?

But, I would request that our board do not offer any access to the boardroom, no hospitality and no complimentary tickets to certain teams directors and officials. If they wish to attend Firhill then they can pay at the gate and sit with their own supporters, also giving Jags fans the opportunity to tell them what we think of them, as they approach and leave the stadium.

When Jim Oliver was a blazer at the SFL, he suggested that the complimentary ticket rule should be stopped, as invariably they were being issued to people (hangers on), who in the main could well afford  to pay to attend a football match. At face value it is a significant loss of  income for every club.

His proposal was shot down in flames!....................... Some things never change!

To be fair to Chris, he’s been a great player & ambassador for the Jags. If he chooses to play part-time then he should be allowed to without us bitching. 

Our Club misses the likes of Doolan & Erskine badly; two gents who played for the shirt.

Edited by sandy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sandy said:

To be fair to Chris, he’s been a great player & ambassador for the Jags. If he chooses to play part-time then he should be allowed to without us bitching. 

Our Club misses the likes of Doolan & Erskine badly; two gents who played for the shirt.

Agree. Eunice and myself will always be grateful for the time that Chris and Callum Booth visited young Robert when he was in the icu in hospital.2 Great guys and we will never forget the smile on Robert's face when they walked into his bed space. All the best to Chris wherever he ends up.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, sandy said:

Spot on Sandy.  Irrespective of the current climate and what will be, Chris was and remains a Thistle Legend and anyone doubting so ought to pop in the Championship winning team DVD.  (Same goes for Dools)

26 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Chris Erskine is easily too good for our level , would take him back in a heart beat even if it was part time.

The guy is a gentleman and a legend but based on his playing record of the last 2-3 seasons it is completely wrong to say he is too good for us. If anything I fear he would struggle to an extent. Of most concern should be that he was injured for a large part of last season for Livingston- unfortunately with massive cost cutting going to be going on at the club both playing and non playing we cannot afford any player who is now injury prone no matter how much of a great player and ambassador they were

12 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

The guy is a gentleman and a legend but based on his playing record of the last 2-3 seasons it is completely wrong to say he is too good for us. If anything I fear he would struggle to an extent. Of most concern should be that he was injured for a large part of last season for Livingston- unfortunately with massive cost cutting going to be going on at the club both playing and non playing we cannot afford any player who is now injury prone no matter how much of a great player and ambassador they were

Chris is doing his personal trainer business and is 100 % fit , I’m sure he would jump at even being part time with us . No brainer for me , wouldn’t cost a lot and would be a fantastic asset on and off the park .

The games I watched him last year , he did fine even though as he’ll admit Livi’s style of play didn’t suit him.

Just my opinion but he’s far too good for Lowland League football at this moment.

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Is Chris Erskine at the peak of his career? Clearly not.

Is Chris Erskine as good as he was in the First Division winning season? Also no.

Is he “not good enough” for the third tier? Behave.

Whip their arses, WJ. You speak truth.

31 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Probably wouldn't be too much a gamble bringing Erskine back. Prefer to see us signing younger players as there's always the chance of picking up a cracker. Then again if we've got a youngish squad we need a couple of old heads, guys you can trust.

You could say Brian Graham, o ware. Banzo and Docherty are pretty experienced old heads