Season 20/21 restarting

sb1876

We can already see how this is being reported north and south of the border.  Headlines shouting out football returning etc (but read the small print to see that it doesn't apply to the diddy leagues).  Once these top-flight fixtures start lower league clubs will become (even more of) a sideshow.  If clubs are confident they could survive playing behind closed doors yet find themselves too few in number to form a league (or are barred from being accommodated in an expanded  higher league), it would be a disaster.  Surely the SPFL/SFA have a moral responsibility to ensure that doesn't happen?  Oh, haud oan...

If this weather keeps up and folk continue to stretch the boundaries of the advice on easing the lock-down then the date for re-starting any spectator sporting events is likely to be put back indefinately. The government may find it difficult controlling social distancing and the numbers of people meeting up but it's a different matter when it comes to licensing football grounds.

My hope is that they find a way for the Championship to start and invite any teams from league 1&2 who can/want to play into that league. I’d say ourselves and Falkirk take part then they run with a 12 team league with two relegations

3 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

My hope is that they find a way for the Championship to start and invite any teams from league 1&2 who can/want to play into that league. I’d say ourselves and Falkirk take part then they run with a 12 team league with two relegations

To sensible. That will never catch on in Scottish football.:D They should also be announcing what will happen if the league has to be prematurely  cancelled again.

31 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

Unfortunately, the championship clubs are not interested 

2 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

At the moment at least 2 championship clubs, Ayr and QOS have said they could not afford to play behind closed doors, without getting financial support. As i have said before the SPFL should give every team the worst case scenario and find out who would still be able to play. Then take it from there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, p12tfc said:

That's what I was thinking too, if teams want to play surely the spfl have an obligation to arrange a suitable competition for those club's?  Providing it meets all guidance and legislation.  There should never be a rangers or Celtic game without other club's being able to do exactly the same. (Being able to pay the costs aside)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, p12tfc said:

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

...and Brechin City will vote against it as a favour to Forfar who voted for City avoiding play offs......and Livingston and Hibernian will vote against it as Thistle and Falkirk sided with Hearts.....and, well i'm just making all this up but you get the gist?

4 hours ago, scotty said:

If this weather keeps up and folk continue to stretch the boundaries of the advice on easing the lock-down then the date for re-starting any spectator sporting events is likely to be put back indefinately. The government may find it difficult controlling social distancing and the numbers of people meeting up but it's a different matter when it comes to licensing football grounds.

Let’s just see how the actual numbers go over next 2-3 weeks. If it follows rest of Europe pattern it should continue to drop

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

...and Brechin City will vote against it as a favour to Forfar who voted for City avoiding play offs......and Livingston and Hibernian will vote against it as Thistle and Falkirk sided with Hearts.....and, well i'm just making all this up but you get the gist?

Sounds a bit like how voting works in the Eurovision song contest 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

At the moment at least 2 championship clubs, Ayr and QOS have said they could not afford to play behind closed doors, without getting financial support. As i have said before the SPFL should give every team the worst case scenario and find out who would still be able to play. Then take it from there.

Todays papers had an excerpt of a European list of 'vulnerable' football teams and the article noted Rangers FC is number one in that list due to it dependence of match day revenue to run the club, it could be that Hearts might find there is a place in the SPL for them after all if RFC need to go into another phase of 'administration'?

The link attached shows some of the massive disparity levels within European football. Have a look at page 66 to see the country that depends on match day revenue the most, this more than anything else makes me think C-19 is going to have a disproportionate impact on the Scottish game

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/OfficialDocument/uefaorg/Clublicensing/02/63/79/75/2637975_DOWNLOAD.pdf

16 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

All premiership clubs meeting on Monday. Championship clubs meeting on Tuesday and league's 1 and 2 meeting on wednesday. Maybe more clarity after these meetings.

As divisive as ever. Find out what the Premiership clubs want, feed it down to the Championship then dump on League 1 & 2. Unfortunately, I can't see the SPFL ever having a holistic approach to solving this problem.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

As divisive as ever. Find out what the Premiership clubs want, feed it down to the Championship then dump on League 1 & 2. Unfortunately, I can't see the SPFL ever having a holistic approach to solving this problem.

Agree. The SPFL want the premier league to start no matter what it takes because of the new super duper sky deal. They might want the championship up and running as well at some point. The rest are just a pain as far as the SPFL are concerned.

11 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree. The SPFL want the premier league to start no matter what it takes because of the new super duper sky deal. They might want the championship up and running as well at some point. The rest are just a pain as far as the SPFL are concerned.

The SPFL just want old firm to play everything else doesn’t matter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaggy said:

League 1 & 2, we're now a League 1 club

Meekly joined them, tail between our legs, despite it being grossly unfair and probably open to legal challenge. A cuddly toy with no balls and no friends.

I wonder what will happen if the "relegated" French team wins its court case.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Meekly joined them, tail between our legs, despite it being grossly unfair and probably open to legal challenge. A cuddly toy with no balls and no friends.

Unfortunately, this is the perception I also  have. The club has been silent for 3 weeks now, whilst the rottweilers at Hearts at least appear to be doing what they can to oppose this farcical and catastrophic “relegation” of Hearts Thistle and Stranraer. Doubtless there is much happening behind the scenes as the scandal progresses. We await our board’s next statement with interest.

I really cannot see a way in which a legal challenge would be successful. The best we could do is a re-run of the vote and there is no reason to think the outcome would be any different. It would simply be a waste of money we can't afford to throw away, IMO.

Also, be careful of drawing comparisons with any case in another country.  A case in Scotland will be decided by interpreting the rules of the SPFL.  The rules in the French set up may be very different, leading to a different outcome.

On 6/1/2020 at 1:40 PM, Jaggernaut said:

they are too busy posting rainbows and changing their profile photos to black to worry about football