Third Lanark

Auld Jag

29 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Just watched a documentary about Third Lanark on BBC ALBA. Well worth a watch. Not sure if it has been before. I am sure @Third Lanark will be interested in it if he hasn't seen it. Anybody wanting to watch it  will be on I player, it was called Third Lanark.

Thanks AJ I actually appear  in the documentary a couple of times, so does my dad- I was talking about my great grandfather who played for the HiHi when they won the top league in 1903-04 and Scottish cup in 1905

i was interviewed first it in November 2017 along with my dad. We were invited to the premier of it in the Glasgow Film Theatre in January 2018. My dad took a heart attack in the December of 2017 so he wasnt well enough to go to the premier. 
neil Doncaster actually went to the premier - it was broadcast on television by BBC Alba for the first time at the end of January 2018 and was shown a few times since. Was actually on last week again.

It is a very good documentary and very tragic too with what happened to the club

• Like 5

They were just before my time of supporting Thistle so I never ventured to Cathkin. It appears we attracted quite a few HiHi supporters on their demise.

Did we have a friendly respectful rivalry with them or did we patronise and despise them as much as Clyde?

6 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Didnt know too much about Third Lanark, but my dad had enormous respect for them. He said he used to love going to Cathkin Park and said it was the best playing surface in Scotland at the time. 

Out of likes.  Again as ourselves Queens Park and Clyde (when they played in Glasgow), Thirds fans are to be admired for avoiding the easy route of supporting the old firm.  I understand that Cathkin used to get some specific type of Swedish grass imported, hence why so many regarded it as such a brilliant playing surface GRE

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

They were just before my time of supporting Thistle so I never ventured to Cathkin. It appears we attracted quite a few HiHi supporters on their demise.

Did we have a friendly respectful rivalry with them or did we patronise and despise them as much as Clyde?

It was a very friendly rivalry.  I know several of the Third Lanark players that appeared in the documentary.  Two of them Alan MacKay and Tony Connell, said to me that their favourite games were against Partick Thistle because it was such a friendly atmosphere.  Straight after the game the Thirds players went out in the town with the Partick Thistle supporters, there used to be a family friendly element (probably not that dissimilar to us and St Mirren to an extent).

The Thirds supporters I spoke to loved the games against Thistle and said the 2 supports got on great.  The ones I have spoken too much preferred us to Clyde (And I am sure they didnt just say that because I am a Partick Thistle supporter).

On another note the 1956 Glasgow Charity cup final at Hampden Park of Partick Thistle v Third Lanark finsihed 4-2 to Thirds ( they had Tommy Docherty guesting for them).  But one of the Thirds directors had a very early coloured camcorder and filled much of the game from the very top of Hampden and its in colour.  Almost unbelievably he missed getting nearly all the goals on film.  

28 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Do you know which club the bulk of the Thirds support went on to follow, TL? The only original HiHi fan I know never supported any other team. Has a soft spot for Thistle but that's a kinda cliche.

I would say most  never went onto support another team.

some went onto follow the different Glasgow clubs. I believe the biggest beneficiary was Pollok FC, though it wasn’t a huge number 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I went to a view a house about 30 years ago and it belonged to a guy called Bob Laird. He had a room full of Third Lanark memorabilia and I then saw him mentioned in interviews many times after that. 

Bob Laird was an absolute gentleman. Met him numerous times at exhibitions and as he worked in the Scottish football museum in Hampden just come across the road from me, went numerous times for a catch up frequently and used to show him any Thirds items I had purchased.

He sadly passed away a couple of years ago. At his funeral there were many wearing Thirds ties and scarves. The front of the memorial card was a photo of him with his Thirds scarf at Cathkin park

12 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Bob Laird was an absolute gentleman. Met him numerous times at exhibitions and as he worked in the Scottish football museum in Hampden just come across the road from me, went numerous times for a catch up frequently and used to show him any Thirds items I had purchased.

He sadly passed away a couple of years ago. At his funeral there were many wearing Thirds ties and scarves. The front of the memorial card was a photo of him with his Thirds scarf at Cathkin park

Thanks. Sad to hear he passed away

18 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Thanks AJ I actually appear  in the documentary a couple of times, so does my dad- I was talking about my great grandfather who played for the HiHi when they won the top league in 1903-04 and Scottish cup in 1905

i was interviewed first it in November 2017 along with my dad. We were invited to the premier of it in the Glasgow Film Theatre in January 2018. My dad took a heart attack in the December of 2017 so he wasnt well enough to go to the premier. 
neil Doncaster actually went to the premier - it was broadcast on television by BBC Alba for the first time at the end of January 2018 and was shown a few times since. Was actually on last week again.

It is a very good documentary and very tragic too with what happened to the club

Thanks for the info TL. Hope your dad has recovered from his heart attack.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Thanks AJ yeah he made a really good recovery. Presently he is having to shield because of COVID19 though

Glad to hear that. All the best to him, yourself and all the rest of your family. Lets hope we will get back to Firhill when it is safe to do so.

• Like 1

Going back to my father's stories, he always said that games v. Thirds were excellent. Of course, as an impressionable young lad I believed everything he told me. He was particularly waxing lyrical over a Thistle display at Cathkin park where he said that Thistle were unbeatable. Of course the result may have influenced his thinking. 7-2 to Thistle.  Lol. My father's stories about Firhill for Thrills, Ma Ba McKennan, Alex McSpadyean etc fuelled my love for Thistle continuing into three generations of Thistle fans going back over 100 years now. Sorry for the ramblings. I am obviously missing moaning about Thistle being pish.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Going back to my father's stories, he always said that games v. Thirds were excellent. Of course, as an impressionable young lad I believed everything he told me. He was particularly waxing lyrical over a Thistle display at Cathkin park where he said that Thistle were unbeatable. Of course the result may have influenced his thinking. 7-2 to Thistle.  Lol. My father's stories about Firhill for Thrills, Ma Ba McKennan, Alex McSpadyean etc fuelled my love for Thistle continuing into three generations of Thistle fans going back over 100 years now. Sorry for the ramblings. I am obviously missing moaning about Thistle being pish.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.:fan:

10 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

March 18th 1950. Third Lanark  2-7 Thistle. Scottish League.

Henderson, Husband, McCreadie, Davidson, Kinnell, Hewitt, McCALLUM,  Howitt, STOTT (3), SHARP, WALKER (2)

Goram, Balunas, Harrower, Orr, Christie, Mooney, Staroscik, Mason, CUTHBERTSON (2), Henderson, Dalziel.

[Two TL goals in the last 4 minutes.]

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

March 18th 1950. Third Lanark  2-7 Thistle. Scottish League.

Henderson, Husband, McCreadie, Davidson, Kinnell, Hewitt, McCALLUM,  Howitt, STOTT (3), SHARP, WALKER (2)

Goram, Balunas, Harrower, Orr, Christie, Mooney, Staroscik, Mason, CUTHBERTSON (2), Henderson, Dalziel.

[Two TL goals in the last 4 minutes.]

Maybe the information isn't readily available, but I'd be interested to know the size of the crowd that day.

Despite an og by Brown (8) and poor defending at a free-kick (9) Thistle were still in the game in terms of possession but chances weren't taken. Thirds hit the bar from 25 yards

(against the gale) then a header from a free-kick (47) made it 3-0. Goals by Ewing (pen, 50 and 62) raised hopes but Thirds scored (78).

Freebairn, Muir, Brown, Cunningham, McKinnon, Donlevy, Williamson, McParland, McBride, Duffy, EWING (2)    2

Robertson, McGillivray, Lewis, Robb, McCormick, Cunningham, Goodfellow, Hilley, HARLEY, GRAY (2), Bryce.       4

Attendance given as 12,000.

• Thanks 1