Should we boycott away grounds

Bobbyhouston

So much of this thread is about how other clubs should do what is right for Scottish football and not act in self interest. Therefore, bu reason,  we shouldn't stoop to their level and should go en mass to as many away games as we possibly can ... for the good of Scottish football.

Or perhaps, sometimes I talk a load of bollocks

24 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

So much of this thread is about how other clubs should do what is right for Scottish football and not act in self interest. Therefore, bu reason,  we shouldn't stoop to their level and should go en mass to as many away games as we possibly can ... for the good of Scottish football.

Or perhaps, sometimes I talk a load of bollocks

Nah. I'm kinda with you. Don't really want to see us as the bitter runt of Scottish football.

Also I don't get the Falkirk love in. They just wanted a promotion that they didn't earn. Their self interest was as blatant as anyone else's. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, allyo said:

Nah. I'm kinda with you. Don't really want to see us as the bitter runt of Scottish football.

Also I don't get the Falkirk love in. They just wanted a promotion that they didn't earn. Their self interest was as blatant as anyone else's. 

Falkirk were only a point behind Raith with 8 games left to play, they had as much chance of promotion as we had of avoiding relegation..

• Like 1

Is it just me or am I getting a deja vu feeling? I'm sure we've had this thread before after the initially voting.

Maybe we should boycott most away grounds but I doubt that'll happen. As said before (least I think so) I'll maybe take my cue from whether supporters buses are travelling or not. If they're not going then I'd treat that as a kinda picket line and stay at home. Think I also pointed out that two of the most boring away venues are ironically Falkirk and East Fife. Also following the Jags is a weekly thing with me. If I find something else to do I might end up giving Firhill a miss as well. More likely not buy a season ticket and just cherry-pick my games.

The Club probably correctly have earmarked available funds to strengthen the squad as opposed to a law suit. The obvious intention being to get promoted first time of asking. Something about that goal and playing away matches in front of next to no Jags fans appears contradictory. If we fail narrowly to get promoted I'm willing to bet that many of those shouting in anger the loudest will be those who didn't attend away matches. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

Falkirk were only a point behind Raith with 8 games left to play, they had as much chance of promotion as we had of avoiding relegation..

They were already in a play off place.

If we stayed 10th, we would be relegated. If we had gone up one place we would have been in relegation play off.

They could afford to fall two places and still be in promotion play offs.

Therefore I would argue they had a better chance of being promoted than we did of avoiding relegation.

It's a personal choice to boycott clubs who have lacked integrity yes, but the downside is you'll be withdrawing vocal support from the team at away fixtures. & this may affect the motivation of some players. 

I've already stated that I'll be forsaking attendance at a majority of grounds on the short term - whether this stance mellows as the seasons tick by is anyone's guess. 

However to be clear, I would not wish this crisis were going through at the moment to lead to the demise of any club in Scotland no matter how much I fkin hate them - I disagree entirely with sentiment from Strachan and others  that small town part time clubs are not professional.

Without referees we have no game & without clubs we have no opposition to play. 

5 hours ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Simple yes or no 

I wish it were that simple. We'll have a summer and early autumn of brave words about boycotts. Some of us will do it and some of us won't. Given the shite we've seen from Thistle over the past three years, I suspect that if the Jags get back to living up to our highest hopes on the pitch, then boycotts won't matter at all. :head_ball:

1 hour ago, jaf said:

If we stayed 10th, we would be relegated. If we had gone up one place we would have been in relegation play off.

Therefore I would argue they had a better chance of being promoted than we did of avoiding relegation.

So who is first in line, if one championship club either goes bust or decides they don't want to play?

1 hour ago, jaf said:

Maybe showing my bias here, but I think there is a huge difference between relegation and promotion on the basis of an unfinished season. We were a Championship team when the season was cut short and they were not. Every single game was played on the basis of a 36 game competition and then after all the games were played they decided retrospectively to make it less than that.

I'm willing to accept that it would have been very harsh not to promote top placed teams, or to award Celtic the league. I suppose to be fair I'm willing to accept that it was also tough on Falkirk. But I don't think it's right to suggest that, after an incomplete season, they had as much or more claim on a Championship place than we did.

If a game is abandoned after 70 minutes you don't award it to the team who are in the lead

Edited by allyo

6 hours ago, allyo said:

Maybe showing my bias here, but I think there is a huge difference between relegation and promotion on the basis of an unfinished season. We were a Championship team when the season was cut short and they were not. Every single game was played on the basis of a 36 game competition and then after all the games were played they decided retrospectively to make it less than that.

I'm willing to accept that it would have been very harsh not to promote top placed teams, or to award Celtic the league. I suppose to be fair I'm willing to accept that it was also tough on Falkirk. But I don't think it's right to suggest that, after an incomplete season, they had as much or more claim on a Championship place than we did.

If a game is abandoned after 70 minutes you don't award it to the team who are in the lead

In 1961, Denis Law scored all six of Manchester City's FA Cup Tie when the game was abandoned  after 69 minutes. City lost the replayed match.  The result in an incomplete game and even more in an incomplete League should not stand.

With regard to Falkirk, I think they have a legitimate grievance - they were one point behind but their final game of the season was at home to Raith. I think there was a very reasonable probability that they would have finished top.  While Celtic, Dundee United & Cove were far ahead in their respective Leagues, Raith have had a very fortunate promotion...and at our expense.

8 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

It's a personal choice to boycott clubs who have lacked integrity yes, but the downside is you'll be withdrawing vocal support from the team at away fixtures. & this may affect the motivation of some players. 

I've already stated that I'll be forsaking attendance at a majority of grounds on the short term - whether this stance mellows as the seasons tick by is anyone's guess. 

However to be clear, I would not wish this crisis were going through at the moment to lead to the demise of any club in Scotland no matter how much I fkin hate them - I disagree entirely with sentiment from Strachan and others  that small town part time clubs are not professional.

Without referees we have no game & without clubs we have no opposition to play. 

To be fair Tony our team has been fantastically backed at away games the last 3 seasons and put in appalling performances in fact so repeatedly so that mccall has to keep apologising to our fantastic away support 

if games are played behind closed doors anyway I suppose there won’t be fans there anyway