Court It Is Then

Bobbyhouston

3 minutes ago, Jag36 said:

Dont dispute that. Has it been used in the best way to help the clubs that will be most effected by this crisis (which surely was the purpose) debatable..!

Who says that was his purpose? Anderson's purpose is whatever he decides it is.

3 minutes ago, Jag36 said:

The charity part is a different issue. By all means if Celtic want to donate then go for it but match that then double it

I think it's safe to say that Celtic give more than £50k a year to their partner charities.

4 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

An extra £5k isn't going to make a dent in the cost of testing a squad. That wouldn't even cover a match-day.

If Anderson wanted every club to be treated the same and each of them to be entitled to a little bit of support at this time, and for them to be able to choose within reason how to use that little bonus, who are you or anyone else to tell Kilmarnock how to spend the money Anderson gave to the SPFL, exactly?

Well if you read the piece I quoted apparantly it's up to the SPFL Trust to tell clubs how the money should be spent (or given away).

51 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Mr Anderson is a rich man. If these clubs were using the money he donated in a way he wasn’t happy with trust me, we’d know about it.

Clearly a lot of people on this forum think they’re entitled to tell other people how to spend their own money.

He is also a quiet and private man .....you would think some clubs would know better 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fenski said:

James Anderson had an interest in the community aspect of this from the outset. Check out the quotes in the article below. I am sure the SPFL Trust conditions of grant are absolutely in line with his thinking - these conditions will apply regardless of whether the money is spent by the club or it's associated charity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52992075

That is true .....some was to go to community projects but not all 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I think it's safe to say that Celtic give more than £50k a year to their partner charities.

Luckily your here to tell us what everyone thinks 

47 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

As irrelevant to the current situation as the original decision was.

Still, looks like people are going to have to adjust their "no other major league in Europe" patter now.

Was merely posting a link that mentioned us and thought may have been of interest to some.  Sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

So why take the extra £50k? They clearly didn't need it. Its fairly obvious to me that that money should have been directly spent to support the clubs who were allegedly in crisis. That some clubs simply redirected it to a charity seems to defeat the point of the largesse. Its bemusing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

So why take the extra £50k? They clearly didn't need it. Its fairly obvious to me that that money should have been directly spent to support the clubs who were allegedly in crisis. That some clubs simply redirected it to a charity seems to defeat the point of the largesse. Its bemusing. 

Because Anderson was making the money available very specifically to every club and Celtic thought the available money would do some good for its partner charities, and that was allowable under the terms of the gift.

It isn’t complicated.

Let’s be honest Celtic don’t need £50k for anything. But Anderson went out of his way to say that his money should be available to all SPFL clubs and did not say he wanted it targeted at specific groups of clubs in greater need. Why he did that is a matter for him. It’s not for you or anyone else to criticise how he wants his money to be spent.

38 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Because Anderson was making the money available very specifically to every club and Celtic thought the available money would do some good for its partner charities, and that was allowable under the terms of the gift.

It isn’t complicated.

Let’s be honest Celtic don’t need £50k for anything. But Anderson went out of his way to say that his money should be available to all SPFL clubs and did not say he wanted it targeted at specific groups of clubs in greater need. Why he did that is a matter for him. It’s not for you or anyone else to criticise how he wants his money to be spent.

Was sure that before the SPFL got involved, the money was for clubs that needed to survive a crisis.

I expected at that time, that none of the clubs in the top league would get any of it, never mind take it and then give it away, albeit to other worthy causes no doubt.

23 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

It isn’t complicated.

He actually did say how he wanted the money spent, on helping clubs cope with COVID and also Communities that have been affected. 
The teams were also meant to be transparent and show documentation to show how the money was spent.

It was always the plan that any Club not claiming the grant , the money would go back in the pot and split between the Clubs .

Shouldn’t have been allowed, giving someone else’s money away to a charity of any Clubs choice, doesn’t augur well for any other business relationship with James Anderson.

The SPFL is an absolute shitfest of an organisation , they literally couldn’t run a raffle.

35 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Or a vote.

43 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

He actually did say how he wanted the money spent, on helping clubs cope with COVID and also Communities that have been affected. 
The teams were also meant to be transparent and show documentation to show how the money was spent.

It was always the plan that any Club not claiming the grant , the money would go back in the pot and split between the Clubs .

Shouldn’t have been allowed, giving someone else’s money away to a charity of any Clubs choice, doesn’t augur well for any other business relationship with James Anderson.

The SPFL is an absolute shitfest of an organisation , they literally couldn’t run a raffle.

Well said. I think James Anderson is perfectly capable of giving money to the charities that he chooses. This money was meant for clubs that were struggling not a 50k top up across the board. He probably had some assurances from the SPFL and faith that the money would be used as desired without puttinģ specific restrictions in place. I totally support clubs giving money to charity. But use your own money and not someone elses to make yourself look good. Now he's in the impossible position that if he came out and criticised their use of the money he himself would be made to look bad. Back in the pot is how i understood it

Edited by Jag36

44 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

I'm sure the club will use the donations as they see fit - if you're not happy with this concept then you shouldn't donate. 

Of course they will. My point was that it's pretty clear where the donation goes as far as PTFC goes. 

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

It isn’t complicated.

Let’s be honest Celtic don’t need £50k for anything. But Anderson went out of his way to say that his money should be available to all SPFL clubs and did not say he wanted it targeted at specific groups of clubs in greater need. Why he did that is a matter for him. It’s not for you or anyone else to criticise how he wants his money to be 

I'm not critical of him at all. Which is plain for most to see. I'm critical of how this looks. So if it's ok with you my opinion is equally valid. Kind of the purpose of the forum.

• Like 2

When Ann Budge was on Sportsound, she said that some very rich friends were prepared to donate millions to the lower league clubs. Which I believe, as she is friends of James Anderson and other very rich Hearts fans. She also said it had been proposed to some clubs who were not sure about accepting it. The usual cohorts on the radio panel, could not believe what they were hearing and said Doncaster should get on the blower pretty quick. It is a pity that Mr Anderson  and friends decided to involve Mr. Doncaster, as I have said before he believes that the premiership must always come first. The only good thing was that the lower clubs got some money, but it should have been a lot more.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, policemans whistle said:

When Ann Budge was on Sportsound, she said that some very rich friends were prepared to donate millions to the lower league clubs. Which I believe, as she is friends of James Anderson and other very rich Hearts fans. She also said it had been proposed to some clubs who were not sure about accepting it. The usual cohorts on the radio panel, could not believe what they were hearing and said Doncaster should get on the blower pretty quick. It is a pity that Mr Anderson  and friends decided to involve Mr. Doncaster, as I have said before he believes that the premiership must always come first. The only good thing was that the lower clubs got some money, but it should have been a lot more.

Was rather surprised that the funding wasn't awarded in increasing amounts the lower down the leagues you went with Club 42 thus receiving the most. Or maybe it was thought enough favours had already been awarded to that particular club.

Can anyone point to where James Anderson said what he wanted done with this money?  All I can find is the statements from the SPFL Trust saying what he said. The distribution of the monies equally amongst all the clubs seems to have come about after the SPFL became involved and it is them who are laying out the conditions.

Edited by scotty
font