Court It Is Then

Bobbyhouston

9 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

aw the polis are in kelvingrove park keeping the Yoof oot - were a bit more sophisticated on the douce sou'side so no chance the rozzers will be down our leafy neck of the woods :drink2:

The sou’side was only sophisticated through the eyes of Jack McLean (The Herald). West is best ;)

3 hours ago, scotty said:

No even in Queens Park? :detective:

leafier :happy2:

19 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I have to say, Queens Park did look like a tip this morning!!

Well it does have the new super sewer underneath it :no:

11 minutes ago, sandy said:

The sou’side was only sophisticated through the eyes of Jack McLean (The Herald). West is best ;)

showing yer age there Sandy B)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I liked it as a boozer but I never thought McLean's second home, Heraghty's Bar, could be described back then as sophisticated.

I'm told 'The Georgic' is a better place than 'Heraghty's'. It was the watering hole of  Gus [William] McIlvanney (The Big Man, Laidlaw etc etc ) until his untimely death so it cant be bad!

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I liked it as a boozer but I never thought McLean's second home, Heraghty's Bar, could be described back then as sophisticated.

still isn't - but does attract a fair amount of the sou'side hoi polloi

36 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I'm told 'The Georgic' is a better place than 'Heraghty's'. It was the watering hole of  Gus [William] McIlvanney (The Big Man, Laidlaw etc etc ) until his untimely death so it cant be bad!

I recall, when I had a flat in Shawlands (early 90s), seeing Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone regularly blootered in the Georgic - however me and the good lady never hung around long as it didn't have a ladies toilet! 

Could really do with a Thistle boozer around here though. My locals are what used to be the Taverna - so many names since - and the one where Shimla Pinks used to be. As you can probably tell, neither are at all inspiring. Bit of a trek but can't beat the Laurieston.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

I've done my best to take us off at a tangent AFK but I fear that WJ et al will be stirring and ready to come back for Round 7. 

Aye we've been called to a different type of bar.

Anyway whilst we're in recess here's another off topic snippet. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-nelms-reveals-desperate-dundee-22256279

17 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Could really do with a Thistle boozer around here though. My locals are what used to be the Taverna - so many names since - and the one where Shimla Pinks used to be. As you can probably tell, neither are at all inspiring. Bit of a trek but can't beat the Laurieston.

we didn't have any boozers in clarkston until about 6 years ago - now we've got two and both are p*sh. Laurieston is magic hope they never get round to refitting it. 

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Aye we've been called to a different type of bar.

Anyway whilst we're in recess here's another off topic snippet. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-nelms-reveals-desperate-dundee-22256279

I would think that most clubs outwith the filth will be having problems shifting season tickets - especially with job uncertainty etc - but 10% of expected (will that be around the 200 or 300 mark??) is very low indeed & he does sound pretty desperate in the article.

Time to dig deep in your pockets Mr Vote Kingmaker 

53 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

The Laurieston is just the dugs baws. The Clancy family run it well; old style, decent ales, pies and conversation. That’s how pubs should be.

1 hour ago, gianlucatoni said:

I've done my best to take us off at a tangent AFK but I fear that WJ et al will be stirring and ready to come back for Round 7. 

Nah I'm done with arguing with WJ, its not worth it. The man ( or woman?) is never wrong .

Agree the Georgic was a great boozer . Never been in the Laurieston- must remedy that when allowed.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The Georgic was one of the last pubs to have a ladies toilet. Was a staunch "men only" bar in similar vein to Tennent's Bar and Quins at Bishopbriggs.

True story told to me by ex-neighbour policeman who was in the pub at the time (off duy!).

Bar empty midweek lunchtime. In walk 2 German hikers (man and woman). "A pint of your beer and a coke please" says the man. Barman serves them.

Chargehand comes out and sees them. Deep intake of breath. "Whit's that"?

"Och it's just a couple of hikers in for a quick drink. They'll soon be on their way" says the barman.

Chargehand less than impressed by the barman's input says "Leave this tae me". 

Walks up to the two hikers and says "Drink up an' get oot".

• Like 1

I would occasionally pop into the Doublet on Park Rd on my way to Firhill for a pint.  The son of the owner, named Andrew, used to terrify visitors (and locals) with his sales line selling Jagspools.  As Andrew, unsmiling, approached customers in the bar, he would yell "Jagspools", and say nothing else!  Looking at the horrified faces of visitors was very amusing, in a sadistic sort of way.  I'm sure he earned Thistle thousands over the years, with many customers not knowing what the orange tickets they had purchased were!