Court It Is Then

Bobbyhouston

32 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

Am I right in thinking that, if DU, RR & Cove bail out on cost grounds, that the arbitration still goes ahead only without a defence 

The SPFL will still have a defence.

I'm not entirely sure why DU, Raith and Cove thought that they had to get involved in the first place.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The SPFL will still have a defence.

I'm not entirely sure why DU, Raith and Cove thought that they had to get involved in the first place.

The SPFL seem to have rather cunningly played Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers, and used them as a shield. They pushed them to the front and hunkered down behind them.

It may not help their legal case, but it does help the public sympathy angle to have the focus on three "deserving" clubs being "denied promotion" rather than the light been shone on the SPFL's own incompetence and dubious manouvrings.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

The SPFL seem to have rather cunningly played Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers, and used them as a shield. They pushed them to the front and hunkered down behind them.

It may not help their legal case, but it does help the public sympathy angle to have the focus on three "deserving" clubs being "denied promotion" rather than the light been shone on the SPFL's own incompetence and dubious manouvrings.

It’s quite a difficult sell to say those three clubs have been unfairly treated but we haven’t 

I'm not sure how these clubs voted on 14-10-10-10. Generally I'd have a lot of sympathy,  I think they deserve their promotions. But if they willingly  voted to relegate when they had a chance not to then I have no sympathy at all.

12 minutes ago, javeajag said:

It’s quite a difficult sell to say those three clubs have been unfairly treated but we haven’t 

What they are trying to say is that we have been treated fairly by relegation but denying those three promotion would be unfair. Looking at the financial side we can claim to be losing money by being relegated but those three can only say that they will be denied a higher income.

Just now, allyo said:

I'm not sure how these clubs voted on 14-10-10-10. Generally I'd have a lot of sympathy,  I think they deserve their promotions. But if they willingly  voted to relegate when they had a chance not to then I have no sympathy at all.

All 3 said 'No'. The brass neck from RRFC is particularly astonishing. Won a watch when 1 point ahead then pulled the ladder up.

• Like 3

Can we clear this up: Neither Thistle nor Hearts ever expressed the desire to stop teams getting promoted. What Thistle and Hearts wanted was that no team should be punished by relegation as a result of the exceptional circumstances.

Have I got it right, or a meringue?

Always a danger to get too precious but one club we can take the moral high ground with is Brechin City. Their chairman (who is on the SPFL board) voted to end the season early knowing that his club would then not have to face a play off against Brora or Kelty. I'd have thought the correct thing to do would've been to abstain. I might be wrong on this one but I've a feeling prior to that, anticipating his club dropping out of League Two, he was allegedly instrumental in repositioning Brechin as a "Lowland club".

Then a compromise was found that would allow Brora and Kelty promotion and still keep Brechin in League Two. He of all people should've realised how fortunate his club had been and how unfortunate Brora and Kelty were under the circumstances. For moral reasons then, there was only one way he should've voted.    

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

anticipating his club dropping out of League Two, he was allegedly instrumental in repositioning Brechin as a "Lowland club".

That is not alleged but factual.....I know someone who was on that call and the justification was that their players lived in the central belt !

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

this court case has its upsides.....

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/6503/CLUB-STATEMENT.html

Maybe they shouldn't have been paying wages well in excess of their turnover. Then again, given how their close neighbours also apply themselves, there's maybe no equivalent word in Dundonian for contingency. My heart truly bleeds for them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Ha ha, made my day.  Next time maybe not allow the Spfl to play you like a fiddle.

Have I got it wrong but I thought that the three arbiters chosen by the two sides will look at the evidence and then come to a decision. The other three are no longer part of the arbitration process surely? (Unless called to give evidence maybe?) So why do DU need to retain their counsel? Sounds as though it's not only the SPFL who are playing them like a fiddle. Or maybe they're the ones at the fiddle?

1 minute ago, elevenone said:

How can you take a report that starts with "Neil Doncaster was clarity on the legal row between the SPFL, Hearts and Partick Thistle as soon as possible." seriously?

On 7/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, CotterJag said:

I care about what's right and wrong and know nothing about the Law.

Never mind being in our favour, everything that happened after 16.48 on that Friday, should be wiped clean and any costs relating to it, paid by the people responsible. 

Take it all back to the point where all votes were in and it was a firm and fair NO.

Whoever did what they did after this point, should be dealt with accordingly.

All matters after 16.48 were based on lies, corruption and deceit.

The SPFL and a number of member clubs in it, are a disgrace to Scotland. 

Almost like the New Order LP (1983) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, delurker said:

I should really go and read the articles, but I have a hard time believing the SFA and SPL would have granted us this binding arbitration without being told to by a judge, if we had just asked nicely.

Even if it is the case, the court case was still worthwhile for me.

It's literally their rules. It's not a question of the SFA or SP[F]L granting or not granting us arbitration. We have a legal right to it under the SFA's AoA. If they denied us the arbitration process we could then have taken them to court for a prima facie breach of the SFA's Articles of Association.

7 hours ago, allyo said:

I'm correct in thinking though, that you are opposed to all forms of legal challenge and would prefer that we'd accepted our fate and prepared for the new season. 

I opposed taking it to the courts.

I also think arbitration is futile and that we shouldn't bother, but it is at least less objectionable and, importantly, could have been done without involving the courts at greater expense and time wasted.

• Thanks 1

I know I am going to regret this but here goes.

If there was an ongoing discussion about reconstruction which if adopted would have meant Dundee Utd, Raith & Cove being promoted and no relegations would it have been acceptable for us to ask for arbitration? From what I read Lord Clark seemed to be of the opinion that whilst reconstruction was still an option we were correct to give that every chance.

Edited by Fawlty Towers