Court It Is Then

Bobbyhouston

6 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Very clever LIB, but their band manager claimed that the name came (pardon the pun)  to him in a dream, where he saw the name in the sign at the Hammersmith Odeon.  But there again, as you infer, it could relate to  the volume of a certain fluid!

should have called themselves 60 calories instead 

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Off the top of my head (as opposed to out of it, as I often was back then), the acts that I can remember seeing at the Greens Playhouse and then after it changed to the Apollo are:

Donovan (twice), East of Eden, Electric Light Orchestra, Melanie,  Rolling Stones (2nd best concert I've ever seen, after Pink Floyd),  Joan Armatrading (twice). 

I'm sure some guys on here went to many, many more. And when you look at the list of absolute superstars who played there over the years, I regret not making any effort to go and see more.

Also off the top of my head. The acts i seen in no particular order. 10cc, The Sweet who were supported by Salvation, a Glasgow band who had Midge Ure in it. The Commodores, Four Seasons, Leo Sayer who was supported by John Miles who was better than Sayer, Hall and Oates, Thin Lizzy, Nazareth at least 4 times, Status Quo 3 times and Lynyrd Skynyrd who i seen about a month before they were involved in a plane crash that killed 3 members of the group. There was more but at the moment i forget who they were. Young Robert also liked going to concerts and apart from the Coldplay concert i have already posted about  he went to a number of other ones. Amongst them he seen Greenday, Snow patrol, The Killers, Keane and Blink 182. The Hospice he went to respite for was in Kinross, about a mile away from where T in the park was held. Every year the Hospice got some passes for the T in the park weekend , so Robert also went to Tin the park a couple of times. Which he really enjoyed.  

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 3

Lynyrd Skynyrd played the Apollo in February 1977, supported by a band then called Clover who went on to rebrand themselves as Huey Lewis and the News with exactly the same line-up.

In common with many others on this thread, I saw many acts at the Apollo in the 70s and early 80s. The best by some distance was The Who in 1975. The worst by some distance was The Eagles on 30th March 1977. Tickets were 3.50, but you'd have been better off staying at home with the Hotel California album.  Saw Fleetwood Mac on the 1977 Rumours tour @ 2.60 a ticket. Lindsey Buckingham did a passable attempt at Oh Well that night (RIP Peter Green).

One of the best supports band I witnessed was the Jess Roden Band who blew a very good Roxy Music out of the park in 1974. 

But Muddy Waters supporting a rather inebriated - but still excellent - Mr Clapton in November 1978 takes the mantle for the best support act ever.

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Lynyrd Skynyrd played the Apollo in February 1977, supported by a band then called Clover who went on to rebrand themselves as Huey Lewis and the News with exactly the same line-up.

In common with many others on this thread, I saw many acts at the Apollo in the 70s and early 80s. The best by some distance was The Who in 1975. The worst by some distance was The Eagles on 30th March 1977. Tickets were 3.50, but you'd have been better off staying at home with the Hotel California album.  Saw Fleetwood Mac on the 1977 Rumours tour @ 2.60 a ticket. Lindsey Buckingham did a passable attempt at Oh Well that night (RIP Peter Green).

One of the best supports band I witnessed was the Jess Roden Band who blew a very good Roxy Music out of the park in 1974. 

But Muddy Waters supporting a rather inebriated - but still excellent - Mr Clapton in November 1978 takes the mantle for the best support act ever.

Thanks BR, i thought it was later on in the year i seen Lynyrd Skynyrd, didn't remember who the support was. I always remembered  paying under £4.00 for the tickets, changed days.

22 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

One of the best concert that I saw at the Apollo was by Harry Chapin ..He played for just over 3 hours. I missed most of my mate's engagement party...

Harry Chapin another taken before his time. Cat's in the cradle features in an episode of the E4 programme The Goldbergs.

You must all be slightly older than me, I saw many bands from about 73 onwards, but as I was 12 then the first few years it was glam & pop bands. Saw Status Quo at their best (despite what many people think of them!) when they recorded the live album, After that it was all about Punk & New Wave for me, but the best act I saw there was Bob Marley in 1980 the year before he died

23 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Name dropping alert, number 2. In September 2009 Robert junior, Eunice and myself went to see Coldplay at Hampden. Before the concert we got to meet Coldplay and we spent about 15 minutes talking to the band members and getting a number of great photographs with them. My wife and i was never the biggest fans of them, but Robert was and it was one of the many great experiences we had as a family, and my wife and i will always remember how great the band were to give up time before a big concert. This was all arranged by a charity for young adults with life limiting conditions. The charity was started by ex Arsenal and Scotland keeper Bob Wilson, who lost his daughter. 

You sure the gig was at Hampden and not at Para, Para, Paradise?

4 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

Any reason I should pay more attention to this particular Twitter loonball above the thousands of others?

Nope. But some of the info has been accurate, although mostly Rangers related. Guess we just have to wait & see. This account suggesting we’ll hear outcome tomorrow.

On 7/25/2020 at 8:34 AM, Muscat Jag said:

Did he?  Clearly states the judgement will be pending. 

Well, if today is the day my expectations of a favourable outcome are low. So anything we get, financially or otherwise, will be a bonus.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

More speculative Scum stuff

Provan opines... 

Instead, a three-man Hampden arbitration panel is odds-on to side with the SPFL.

It's always easy to agree with someone taking your side, but he doesn't half talk a lot of crap

1 hour ago, sandy said:

Well, if today is the day my expectations of a favourable outcome are low. So anything we get, financially or otherwise, will be a bonus.

Like the auld fella, I'm similarly predisposed to the acceptance of our fate whenever it's delivered. 

There will be no reinstatement and no compensation.

They'll also throw the book at us for having the temerity to take them on next month - the magnitude of our fine will pay for new blazers, patterned deep pile carpet for their offices and their prawn sandwiches for years to come. 

There will be further talks about interim interdict and taking it further that will amount to the sum total of f*** all. 

Call it cynicism or call it realism, but getting anything this week will indeed be a bonus. 

FTSPFL