Court It Is Then

Bobbyhouston

•   18 m2. The phone conversation (which is now a matter of public record) between the SPFL and the Lowland League to accept Brechin in spite of Brechin being in the Highland League Geographical area (threatened to end the participation of Lowland League clubs in the Challenge Cup) 

What are you talking about? I’ve seen absolutely no reference to this at all. Is this some pish in the Rangers “dossier”?

This is not pish it was confirmed live on Radio by the Brora Chairman. They were told if they did not vote to allow Brechin to play in the Lowland League, in the event Brechin were relegated, Broras ongoing invitation to be allowed to play in the League Cup (whaever that is called now)  would be rescinded.

9 minutes ago, Emsca said:
  •   18 m2. The phone conversation (which is now a matter of public record) between the SPFL and the Lowland League to accept Brechin in spite of Brechin being in the Highland League Geographical area (threatened to end the participation of Lowland League clubs in the Challenge Cup) 

What are you talking about? I’ve seen absolutely no reference to this at all. Is this some pish in the Rangers “dossier”?

This is not pish it was confirmed live on Radio by the Brora Chairman. They were told if they did not vote to allow Brechin to play in the Lowland League, in the event Brechin were relegated, Broras ongoing invitation to be allowed to play in the League Cup (whaever that is called now)  would be rescinded.

That sounds like a load of pish.

Brora don’t even play in the Lowland League. Why would the right of Highland League clubs to participate in a cup competition be affected by a decision of the Lowland League?

How would the Brora chairman be privy to a phone conversation between the Lowland League and the SPFL?

I notice none of the newspapers are reporting this supposed “threat”.

This is Chinese whispers and bollocks. Unless you’ve got a recording of exactly what Brora’s Chairman said?

Edited by Woodstock Jag

34 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Brechin are being treated the same as every club that finished in a playoff spot. Because they finished in a playoff spot. The playoffs were cancelled because they couldn’t guarantee the games would be played.

I heard the chairman of Kelty explain this and to say the play off was  were ‘cancelled’ is factually incorrect ....the spfl are refusing to play them and that play off is governed by different rules and governance  to the spfl play offs so all your points here are wrong.....it’s actually organised by the sfa who have not closed the season as their cup competitions are still open 

37 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Yes....you don’t know everything.....there was a call and I loved the part where if they were relegated Brechin could play in the lowland league because all their players lived in the central belt ....hilarious ! I actually know someone who was in the call.....it was driven by the  spfl 

Brechin have a huge conflict of interest in all of this 

8 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I heard the chairman of Kelty explain this and to say the play off was  were ‘cancelled’ is factually incorrect ....the spfl are refusing to play them and that play off is governed by different rules and governance  to the spfl play offs so all your points here are wrong.....it’s actually organised by the sfa who have not closed the season as their cup competitions are still open 

This is bollocks. The SPFL Resolution explicitly cancelled the play-offs and it is within the SPFL’s jurisdiction to do that to their own competition. It’s not a matter for the SFA. The only competition the SFA has responsibility for in professional men’s football is the Scottish Cup.

8 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Yes....you don’t know everything.....there was a call and I loved the part where if they were relegated Brechin could play in the lowland league because all their players lived in the central belt ....hilarious ! I actually know someone who was in the call.....it was driven by the  spfl 

Brechin have a huge conflict of interest in all of this 

It is perfectly reasonable for the Leagues to discuss whether it is appropriate for a side, if relegated, to go into one geographical division or another. Otherwise you could have relegations from consistently only the north or the south and therefore an imbalance overall.

You haven’t provided any proof (or even evidence) that a threat was made or that there was anything improper about the SPFL’s representation.

5 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

This is bollocks. The SPFL Resolution explicitly cancelled the play-offs and it is within the SPFL’s jurisdiction to do that to their own competition. It’s not a matter for the SFA. The only competition the SFA has responsibility for in professional men’s football is the Scottish Cup.

It is perfectly reasonable for the Leagues to discuss whether it is appropriate for a side, if relegated, to go into one geographical division or another. Otherwise you could have relegations from consistently only the north or the south and therefore an imbalance overall.

You haven’t provided any proof (or even evidence) that a threat was made or that there was anything improper about the SPFL’s representation.

Reported in the Edinburgh Evening News (and elsewhere, I read it in another paper) and apparently broadcast on Sportsound.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/lowland-league-chief-spfl-pressured-us-alter-rules-and-accept-brechin-city-event-relegation-2848043

14 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

That sounds like a load of pish.

Brora don’t even play in the Lowland League. Why would the right of Highland League clubs to participate in a cup competition be affected by a decision of the Lowland League?

How would the Brora chairman be privy to a phone conversation between the Lowland League and the SPFL?

I notice none of the newspapers are reporting this supposed “threat”.

This is Chinese whispers and bollocks. Unless you’ve got a recording of exactly what Brora’s Chairman said?

The witness is correct. I heard this on Sportsound a few weeks ago. I'm sure it was someone from the Highland League (but it could have been someone from Brora FC) who was speaking.  IIRC representatives of both the Highland and Lowland leagues were asked to agree to Brechin's request that if they lost their play-off they would be "relegated" to the  Lowland League despite being in the Highland League's catchment area.  He said that it was "suggested" that failure to agree this might mean participation in the Challenge Cup (not the League Cup) would have to be "reviewed". My inverted commas but the inference was clear in his voice. 

It was also said that the SPFL - without a trace of irony - had declined to put Brechin forward as their candidate to play the winner of the Brora-Kelty tie because their rules didn't permit it if the leagues hadn't finished.  It wasn't clear to me which leagues he was talking about.  If it was before the H and  L leagues were "called" I assume it was at that point the SFA (who run these pyramid play-offs) decided it was a non-starter. If it was after they were "called" then I assume the SFA decided there was no point in asking the two contestants to play-off anyway.

9 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Listen.....the playoffs between the spfl and the lower leagues are 50% owned by the  SFA and 25% each by the other leagues ......they are governed, managed and organised by the SFA and as such are not within the spfl jurisdiction to simply cancel they  refused to play them and particpate

The playoffs between League 2 and the lower leagues are not an spfl competition. 

.I’m not sure if that was ever communicated to the lower leagues. Other play offs outside the spfl have been completed. 

your head in the sand in Brechin does you no credit a quick google search gets you all the information ....it’s shocking 

12 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

The witness is correct. I heard this on Sportsound a few weeks ago. I'm sure it was someone from the Highland League (but it could have been someone from Brora FC) who was speaking.  IIRC representatives of both the Highland and Lowland leagues were asked to agree to Brechin's request that if they lost their play-off they would be "relegated" to the  Lowland League despite being in the Highland League's catchment area.  He said that it was "suggested" that failure to agree this might mean participation in the Challenge Cup (not the League Cup) would have to be "reviewed". My inverted commas but the inference was clear in his voice. 

It was also said that the SPFL - without a trace of irony - had declined to put Brechin forward as their candidate to play the winner of the Brora-Kelty tie because their rules didn't permit it if the leagues hadn't finished.  It wasn't clear to me which leagues he was talking about.  If it was before the H and  L leagues were "called" I assume it was at that point the SFA (who run these pyramid play-offs) decided it was a non-starter. If it was after they were "called" then I assume the SFA decided there was no point in asking the two contestants to play-off anyway.

This is correct and note the pyramid play offs are run by the sfa not the spfl 

1 minute ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Possibly reasonable if a team is relegated but teams like Albion Rovers ( Brian Reid ) are coming out and casting their vote on reconstruction on the basis that Brora is too far away.

If Clubs like Albion Rovers with little ambition and  want to play in a some sort of regionalised League let them.

The pyramid system has got to work as teams like Kelty , Bonnyrigg Rose , East Kilbride , Caledonia Braves , Brora are all ambitious to get into the professional ranks and are spending lots of money trying to get there .

All these teams mentioned would all enhance our Leagues with their ambition and also their crowd base.

Even with these extraordinary times , Brora and Kelty should have been given the opportunity through the play offs to join the SPFL.

The way that the SPFL and the SFA have dealt with this is absolutely shocking especially with the investment these teams have made .

25 minutes ago, delurker said:

Reported in the Edinburgh Evening News (and elsewhere, I read it in another paper) and apparently broadcast on Sportsound.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/lowland-league-chief-spfl-pressured-us-alter-rules-and-accept-brechin-city-event-relegation-2848043

“It may have been on their agenda” is weak weak sauce for people to base as “a threat”

1 minute ago, Woodstock Jag said:

“It may have been on their agenda” is weak weak sauce for people to base as “a threat”

I heard the chairman on sportsound  as well and it was clearly a threat .....the recording of the call clearly shows that as well ....total disgrace 

6 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

It’ll be down to money, television rights etc 

OK, but it appears both sets of fixture are run by the SFA. I may be wrong, but I don't recall any SFA statement saying the pyramid playoffs were cancelled. The general impression is that the SPFL have called time on it. But perhaps I've missed something. 

Just now, Muscat Jag said:

OK, but it appears both sets of fixture are run by the SFA. I may be wrong, but I don't recall any SFA statement saying the pyramid playoffs were cancelled. The general impression is that the SPFL have called time on it. But perhaps I've missed something. 

My understanding is that the spfl simply said we’re not playing them

4 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

'There were insinuations ... that we might find life a bit more difficult in dealing with our friends at the SPFL' isn't.

31 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

In other words total insinuation based on him speculating that it might have been on their agenda.

31 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

The SFA do not govern the SPFL’s play-off. The SPFL do.

17 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Possibly reasonable if a team is relegated but teams like Albion Rovers ( Brian Reid ) are coming out and casting their vote on reconstruction on the basis that Brora is too far away.

If Clubs like Albion Rovers with little ambition and  want to play in a some sort of regionalised League let them.

The pyramid system has got to work as teams like Kelty , Bonnyrigg Rose , East Kilbride , Caledonia Braves , Brora are all ambitious to get into the professional ranks and are spending lots of money trying to get there .

All these teams mentioned would all enhance our Leagues with their ambition and also their crowd base.

Even with these extraordinary times , Brora and Kelty should have been given the opportunity through the play offs to join the SPFL.

The way that the SPFL and the SFA have dealt with this is absolutely shocking especially with the investment these teams have made .

These are policy arguments. They are irrelevant to what the law is about what the SPFL can and cannot do when running its own competitions.