Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Lenziejag

How do we vote today

Recommended Posts

As league 1 and 2 are voting today on when to start season 20/21 or even to start, what should we be voting for ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be a very interesting meeting. Incredibly complex situation across the bottom two divisions. I don't envy their task. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Muscat Jag said:

This is going to be a very interesting meeting. Incredibly complex situation across the bottom two divisions. I don't envy their task. 

Going to be more conflict again , but I think there will some sort of crowds allowed into grounds certainly at our level Sept/Oct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Am I missing something ? Why would we want anything other than the earliest possible start ?

I guess we have to vote in a way that helps our compensation case. I don’t know if that means voting for an August start or a later start ? I assume abstaining wouldn’t help our case 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Going to be more conflict again , but I think there will some sort of crowds allowed into grounds certainly at our level Sept/Oct

But as of today, any decision will have to be based on not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But as of today, any decision will have to be based on not.

Surely the teams who want to play will have to have that opportunity whether that’s another league or some sort of reconstruction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Surely the teams who want to play will have to have that opportunity whether that’s another league or some sort of reconstruction.

There won't be a reconstruction. If enough clubs don't want to play, there will be no play

I suspect that out of today, the decision will be deferred to July pr August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think it's a "vote" today, merely a sounding out. In any case who could possibly know what's ahead?  Several clubs might say they can start now yet there are too few to justify two leagues (or even one!).  Others will possibly say they can't start at all (or only in January).  Some might start yet find the can't continue - nullifying their fixtures already played.  Under the circumstances I don't see how the SPFL Board could apply sanctions to clubs that fail to complete their fixtures. Ultimately Covid-19 is the master here. As you say MJ, don't envy their task.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a waste of time asking for an August start when lower league teams aren't yet allowed to train together. By all means we can register our preference for the earliest possible start but we know that won't be what is agreed to.

We should be voting in favour of an October start and a 27 match season. That will give the SPFL Board a clear steer on whether it can identify enough clubs able and willing to operate on essentially the same basis as the Championship.

Failing that, we should be in favour of the next soonest restart, whenever it is, and we should vote in all circumstances against mothballing.

This will make it as clear as possible to the SPFL that we are ready to play, whatever the other Clubs may say.

If, say, only 4-6 teams vote for October, this strengthens our case that the Championship should exceptionally be expanded to accommodate us.

If, say, 7-14 teams vote for October across the two leagues, this ensures we will be a part of that third-tier division and playing football as soon as viable.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

It's a waste of time asking for an August start when lower league teams aren't yet allowed to train together. By all means we can register our preference for the earliest possible start but we know that won't be what is agreed to.

We should be voting in favour of an October start and a 27 match season. That will give the SPFL Board a clear steer on whether it can identify enough clubs able and willing to operate on essentially the same basis as the Championship.

Failing that, we should be in favour of the next soonest restart, whenever it is, and we should vote in all circumstances against mothballing.

This will make it as clear as possible to the SPFL that we are ready to play, whatever the other Clubs may say.

If, say, only 4-6 teams vote for October, this strengthens our case that the Championship should exceptionally be expanded to accommodate us.

If, say, 7-14 teams vote for October across the two leagues, this ensures we will be a part of that third-tier division and playing football as soon as viable.

This part will no doubt be the sticking point. If the season is played out along these lines what happens the following season? Will it start with all the clubs back in divisions 1 & 2, will there be promotion to the premiership or relegation back to league 1? Will clubs who don't play end up in the bottom tier? The SPFL has got to take control of this and tell clubs what the outcomes of a vote would be!

Edited by scotty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We should abstain.

Does that mean in the SPFL  eyes a Yes , No or a maybe.

I’m sure they will decide to suit their narrative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

As league 1 and 2 are voting today on when to start season 20/21 or even to start, what should we be voting for ?

 

where is this reported? I'm sure the last I read they were asked to respond by 26th June about when or if they would play this coming season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We should abstain.

Don't think there's a vote as such. My understanding is that each club will state it's preferred solution and plans will be developed from that. At least I think that's what's happening. Do you mean we shouldn't get involved in this process? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we not cast our vote then change it after the vote is finished once someone offers us a bung/ applies pressure?

Asking on behalf of a SPFL chief exec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, laukat said:

Can we not cast our vote then change it after the vote is finished once someone offers us a bung/ applies pressure?

Asking on behalf of a SPFL chief exec

That would be utterly scurrelous behaviour and not in keeping with the principles of integrity ; fair play and honesty which underpin our National game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scotty said:

This part will no doubt be the sticking point. If the season is played out along these lines what happens the following season? Will it start with all the clubs back in divisions 1 & 2, will there be promotion to the premiership or relegation back to league 1? Will clubs who don't play end up in the bottom tier? The SPFL has got to take control of this and tell clubs what the outcomes of a vote would be!

That's clearly something they would still need to thrash out. At the moment they are only sounding out whether Clubs feel able to resume, and therefore what their options are likely to be for the coming season. Bear in mind that if there isn't any reconstruction, the SPFL Board technically decides the format for next season for the bottom three divisions, not the Clubs.

53 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Don't think there's a vote as such. My understanding is that each club will state it's preferred solution and plans will be developed from that. At least I think that's what's happening. Do you mean we shouldn't get involved in this process? 

Yes this is exactly what is happening.

The SPFL's preference, I suspect, is for the Championship, League One and League Two to take place from October with a 27 match season. That involves the least disruption, is the cleanest solution given the non-viability of those leagues returning to football in August, and lets them treat those leagues fairly "uniformly" in the event of further disruption.

Their next best scenario is if the League One clubs are happy to do what the Championship has done, but League Two doesn't. There might then be some difficulties accommodating League Two clubs who want to play.

Their next best against scenario is if they can only play a League One from October if it is a composite of League One and Two clubs. This means reconstruction and an SPFL Resolution. Something like this is likely to get

  • the support of Premiership and Championship clubs (as they don't care if Thistle are playing Elgin for a year) and
  • probably gets support of all the League One and Two Clubs that want to play (because it lets them play) and
  • possibly gets the support of any League Two Clubs who don't want to play (because it doesn't hurt them either way)

Their next best scenario is where they cannot get ten clubs to agree to start the League One season but, say, 8 teams are really eager on an October start. In that scenario, they need some sort of arrangement for reconstruction. If it were me I would be suggesting a "no-relegation-rule" for that League One season, with those participating guaranteed to be in (at least) League One the following season (assuming it returned to normal). That way you could still have promotion and relegation from the Championship, though you might need to get some sort of agreement on how the play-offs should work between Championship and League One.

Their worst case scenario is essentially that about 4-6 League One Clubs want to play in October, and the rest are reluctant to do so or are even actively in favour of mothballing until at least January if not beyond. In those circumstances, serious discussions need to be had about whether it is possible to do a reconstruction that does not alter the Premiership, but which changes the Championship (whether temporarily or permanently).

If 4-6 Clubs are willing to play in October, the smart thing for them to do is to petition for a bigger Championship for one season, with the bottom 4-6 Clubs being relegated at the end of that season. However you might have problems getting teams like Alloa and Arbroath to agree to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jaggy said:

where is this reported? I'm sure the last I read they were asked to respond by 26th June about when or if they would play this coming season

Apologies if I am wrong - I thought there was a meet today of leagues 1 & 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder. .. 

a) if some of the chairmen will have the brass neck to show their faces at this meeting today 

b) whether the idiots running the game will publish results of the vote before all votes have been cast on the 26th

c) whether the 26th is an advisory date & clubs really have 4 weeks to submit

d) if Thistle will say feck the lot of you as we're ready to go in August and don't agree with Oct/Jan proposals. not now. not ever. 

e) when they'll check the fabled spam folder or if the votes are to be submitted by SPFL approved carrier pigeon or morse code only 

f) which clubs will be bullied this time round but won't have the balls to speak up 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Apologies if I am wrong - I thought there was a meet today of leagues 1 & 2

There might be, I just never saw it mentioned on any sport web pages :thumbsup2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

I wonder. .. 

a) if some of the chairmen will have the brass neck to show their faces at this meeting today 

b) whether the idiots running the game will publish results of the vote before all votes have been cast on the 26th

c) whether the 26th is an advisory date & clubs really have 4 weeks to submit

d) if Thistle will say feck the lot of you as we're ready to go in August and don't agree with Oct/Jan proposals. not now. not ever. 

e) when they'll check the fabled spam folder or if the votes are to be submitted by SPFL approved carrier pigeon or morse code only 

f) which clubs will be bullied this time round but won't have the balls to speak up 

 

You forgot the one where Neil Doncaster, after speaking to as many clubs as he needs to, decides what divisions 1 & 2 really, really want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×