Change of Ground Name

Norgethistle

No doubt there might be another name change in the near future.

To me its a horrible trend although liked by sponsors who obviously get a name check with each sports report in the media and therefore more publicity probably than most other club sponsors.

Supporters don't give a fig (remind me what ground ferranti thistle play at these day?) but are no doubt grateful for whatever money comes the clubs way.

At least we kept the Firhill bit to our credit and I hope we still do with any new deal

24 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

First bit of good news in ages. Hooring out the stadium name is franchise behaviour.

Kinda agree but it's much the same as when your local changes its name. Just about all the regulars still refer to the premises by its original/traditional title.

Perhaps with stadia that have little history (Livingston, Accies, Falkirk, St Mirren etc) name changes comes across more like "franchise behaviour". Many folk don't even know what the original name for these newish grounds are anyway. I think the only folk that reference the Global Check Thingy at Firhill were the BBC, who near always multi mention sponsors (I've an unproven but educated guess why that happens).

In my mind such sponsorship would be worthwhile if daft money is involved . As I don't think it's that useful a tool in a sponsoring company's marketing budget then I reckon the funding loss won't be that much in any case.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, westertonjagfan said:

Spot on. We need every penny coming in.

I suspect the revenue lost has more to do with the marketable value of our current status than anything resembling a policy change from within our "caretaker governors".  That said just why the loss of sponsorship is evidently being heralded by the current stewards of our Club is beyond me.

• Like 1