Worst Fans - Partick Thistle

gianlucatoni

Three boys who toured the country visiting every senior Scottish club ground have hailed the Jags fans the worst in the country. Their site is at http://groundhoppers.org.uk/grounds/Firhill_Stadium and the offending match was at the tail end of October versus Raith Rovers. It was the Herald Sport section on Friday (30th April) that quoted us as the worst in the country.

Part of their report is quoted:

Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the game today was the Partick support who failed to properly rally behind their team as they attempted to claw back the deficit in the closing stages. At one point late on their right back, Paul Paton even mouthed to his own fans that he was not best pleased with the criticism he was receiving. To be fair to the supporters though the lad was having an absolute stinker.

:thinking:

Obviously can't agree (totally) with that, but I think we need a good boot up the a*se. This is about supporting a football team who aren't the Old Firm remember? It's about having fun - remember? As a perfect example of what it SHOULD be like, have a good look at the Queens fans today - last game of the season, nothing at stake, and what do they do? Turn up in numbers and have a right good time. Compare that to the attitude on the previous forum to our turning up to RossCo last week ' Why should we bother? We'll just get beat...." I think we would all have a better time if we took the Queens fans attitude from today and thought 'well, we're supporters, we support the team, and they MIGHT not win, but if we do our best then perhaps we can contribute to turning a draw into a win or a loss into a draw. And then get pished on the train back from Dingwall'. Honestly it's not about turning us into the cuddly toy again, but it would be nice not to be the surly teenager...

:thumbdown: Ack you cant judge a team/fans/etc with one visit to a football ground. Probably a bunch of old firm fans used to the "glam" of hunsville and parkhead.

Paton was rotten, as he has been this whole season, so no surprise.

The Jags fans are the best fans in the country. Why? because you have two scummy team in the east and the south that we refuse to support. WE ARE NOT GLORY HUNTERS (unlike those 3 "Football fans" most likely). We are the pride of glasgow. so listen you 3, supporting a smaller side means that fans are going to get on the back of players who are not playing well.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

Three boys who toured the country visiting every senior Scottish club ground have hailed the Jags fans the worst in the country. Their site is at http://groundhoppers.org.uk/grounds/Firhill_Stadium and the offending match was at the tail end of October versus Raith Rovers. It was the Herald Sport section on Friday (30th April) that quoted us as the worst in the country.

Part of their report is quoted:

Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the game today was the Partick support who failed to properly rally behind their team as they attempted to claw back the deficit in the closing stages. At one point late on their right back, Paul Paton even mouthed to his own fans that he was not best pleased with the criticism he was receiving. To be fair to the supporters though the lad was having an absolute stinker.

:thinking:

They were sitting in the least atmospheric area of the ground for a start and the sound from the singing at the City End would not travel there.

They also appear to be Glaswegians, so putting my paranoid hat on they could have an agenda :unsure:

Obviously can't agree (totally) with that, but I think we need a good boot up the a*se. This is about supporting a football team who aren't the Old Firm remember? It's about having fun - remember? As a perfect example of what it SHOULD be like, have a good look at the Queens fans today - last game of the season, nothing at stake, and what do they do? Turn up in numbers and have a right good time. Compare that to the attitude on the previous forum to our turning up to RossCo last week ' Why should we bother? We'll just get beat...." I think we would all have a better time if we took the Queens fans attitude from today and thought 'well, we're supporters, we support the team, and they MIGHT not win, but if we do our best then perhaps we can contribute to turning a draw into a win or a loss into a draw. And then get pished on the train back from Dingwall'. Honestly it's not about turning us into the cuddly toy again, but it would be nice not to be the surly teenager...

Thats normally the case with Thistle but the players gave up months ago and gradually the fans chucked it as well. Even if they tried the crowd would put in some effort but everyone is sick of it.

Worst fans in the country, I don't think so. Every teams supporters can go overboard regarding critisiscm of their own players. Look at Mark Burchill when he was at Dunfermline, he even gestured to his own fans after he scored against us last season due to the abuse he recieved. Diffucult to label one support as the worst. However, I think the critiscism of Gus McMcpherson and John Hughes by a section of the St Mirren and Falkirk (last season), respectively, support was poor.

Look at the reaction of our fans at Dens earlier in the season. We were defeated 2-0 but could identify the effort from our players and applauded them off the park.

Look at the reaction of our fans at Dens earlier in the season. We were defeated 2-0 but could identify the effort from our players and applauded them off the park.

Correct - just depends on the game they attended, have to agree however that the best pies are at Arbroath. Maybe they should attend a whole season at each team them I'd give their opinion more respect in 40 years time.

While I agree its not really representative to make statements like wosrt supporters on the basis of one game, if the whole negative atmosphere surrounding Firhill and the team that has saturated the forum over this season in particular then these guys are probably correct. As fans of the only real team in Glasgow, we need to take a long hard look at ourselves and decide if we are supporters or not, often its hard to tell. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, especially those that attend loads of games, but the clue is in the name supporters, maybe we are guilty of being critics more than supporters.

Fans should be able to voice their opinion and letting the team know how they feel is pretty valid but at the end of the day we should be backing the players on the pitch, otherwise like this season the players are almost afraid to play at home due to the attitude of the home support.

one is a saint mirren fan and onbe is a queens park fan, not sure about the third.

Oxford United fan. He wore his Oxford top to every game.

I quite like the idea of visiting every team during the course of the season. Might even do it one day.

Interesting contribution.

Care to be more specific?

what about - my hair, my contribution versus Parma or the groundhoppers article?

If it's the latter then I really couldnt believe it when I picked up the paper on Friday ... especially coming from three lads who probably threw objectivity out the window and came the short distance to Firhill with an agenda.

It seems that we earned the worst fans tag in their books for having the temerity to give some of the players pelters during the game although I do agree to an extent with what erzamacaroonbars ("and the ch" - remember him?!). There has indeed been an air of despondency about the place this season ... but to counter with the groundhoppers at least our fans keep showing up - the sign of a true fan - especially when you consider the self styled best fans in the world for the green filth up the east end are deserting in droves this season.

I also didn't appreciate the comment about Lloyds (TSB) FC either as surely that should be levelled at the blue filth in i-bollox .. so I posted it on here to see what people thought of the label being printed in the national press.

As for my hair - it's luscious mate ... and so what if my contribution was pants - the cash hits the bank all the same! ;)

Like us at Dundee last season?