The Tories' Little Helpers Fall Apart

Blackpool Jags

Well well well. Around seven hours to go before the high-profile vote on whether to accept the tripling of Higher Education tuition fees and the leader of the party who stood for election on a solid manifesto promise of 'No rise in tuition fees' is scurrying around twisting the arms of his wee band of MPs, urging them to support the government's proposal to, em, triple Higher Education fees.

Like many of you, I watched the televised Hustings debates where Clegg, far more vehemently than Brown, ripped into Cameron over the issue, using words to the effect of 'over my dead body' etc. (paraphrasing big-time here).

It just goes to show that a wee whiff of power is infinitely more important, to some, than lifelong 'principles'. I await the breakdown of the vote with some interest, simply to see how many of the rats voted for their new paramours. The latest intelligence has it that the Glib Dems are now split three(!) ways: the fors, the agins and the abstainers. Phew, brother Clegg will be glad when this is all over.

There is not a chance of the bill being defeated; Clegg's and Cable's new-found principles will see to that. But, from a Labour point of view - and, TBH, that of most other parties - the longer term picture is now slightly brighter than it was before this fiasco, as Cameron's bitches have effectively jettisoned, in advance, a good 50% or more of their seats at the next General Election due to their slavish support for the hated Tories. Who could ever trust them again, or even see them as a justifiable protest vote?

Roll on tea time.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to respect the Liberals and then the Lib Dems, but they're rapidly and irretrievably sliding into an abyss of toryism from which they'll never recover, in my eyes at least. (Labour are already there, I should add.)

My brother brought this home to me. Three kids, up to £9K per year in tuition fees for 3 years each, add on books etc, and that's already £100K. You can at least double that for accommodation and general living expenses, and you're looking at an outlay if getting on for a quarter of a million quid just to get his family a basic university education (basic being the word) according to the "education for all" mantra that we get rammed down our throats.

And don't forget that to be able to do anything with a uni degree these days you need FURTHER training, hence the new con of getting students to pay up for an MSc, which in most cases is worthless because just about everybody who is daft enough to pay for one gets one.

THE FANTASTIC JOBS THAT WILL SEE ALL THESE PEOPLE EARNING HIGH WAGES SO THEY CAN START TO PAY BACK THEIR LOANS DO NOT EXIST! (Except for a tiny minority of graduates.)

This is one of the biggest con jobs ever perpetrated on an entire nation, and it will (is designed to, perhaps) reinforce the gap between the poor, who while educated will always remain in relative poverty due to a lifetime of debt, and the rich who can merely soak it all up.

Edited by Jaggernaut

I have more respect for people who vote Tory than who vote Lib Dem.

The Lib dem's propped up Labour in Scotland and now prop up the Tory's down south. In short, they will sell their principles down the river at the first promise of a whiff of power.

I hope the Scottish electorate annihalate them in the same way they annihalated the Tories previously.

I think its great, the lib dems in the cabinet have had a good dollop of reality and its not nice, they now realise that they cant just spout any old crap that could never happen because they thought they were never going to get in power.

As for students, back in the real world the rest of us have to work or try to pay for courses to get those jobs, education for educations sake is great just wish they would pay for it themselves.

years ago far fewer went to uni and the taxes could pay for it, well that's not the case any more with every man and his dog wanting a place, so who pays?

at least some of the libs have realised what should be done unlike labour who worked on the lets keep making jobs we cant afford to pay for, along with all the other stuff that we cant aford to do as well. :mad2:

Get a grip people. University places are tripling. Taxpayers are dwindling. Who the hell is going to pay for their 3/4 years of junketing? :(

i would like to know whos paying for all the damage these idiots are causing and for all the police, medical and fire services that are needed, ahh thats right us :mad2: idiots

i would like to know whos paying for all the damage these idiots are causing and for all the police, medical and fire services that are needed, ahh thats right us :mad2: idiots

Well said

Just seen an interview on bbc and the interviewer pointed out to the moron....sorry student....that under the proposals that labour wanted to put through they would all be worse off than under these new proposals....i take its not wanted cos its the tories, id bring in labours ideas and make them worse off.

It's all Labour's fault. Wondered how long it would take for that lol.

So, how is it not a lie then? Go on enlighten me!

and yes it is labours fault, if someone told you they had spent loads of money they didnt have you would say they were stupid, why is that different when its labour???

actualy i was hoping you would tell us why it is a lie :thumbsup2:

Edited by jaggybunnet

actualy i was hoping you would tell us why it is a lie :thumbsup2:

Go on you know you want to!

Ok, so which Government were in power when I was given redundancy as a nice wee present? To make it easy it happened in June 2010.

Edited by Dragon

Go on you know you want to!

Ok, so which Government were in power when I was given redundancy as a nice wee present? To make it easy it happened in June 2010.

you have thrown me a bit, which lies?

so you are blaming this goverment who came into power in may 2010 for you losing your job in june 2010, come on now, even labour took a little while to muck it up.

you have thrown me a bit, which lies?

so you are blaming this goverment who came into power in may 2010 for you losing your job in june 2010, come on now, even labour took a little while to muck it up.

It was actually the Tory Party who promised a 100 day consultation period to the Company I worked for, and hundreds of others down South, then when the Coalition Government came to power they scrapped the consultation period virtually on the day they came to power. Our orders went from 1500 to 50 overnight and most of the orders from the previous week were scrapped. 75% of our workforce were made redundant, with at least 15,000 others going. Loads of small businesses and self-employed gone virtually overnight. If given the 100 days our Company, and many others, would have been able to change focus and would have had the workforce in place to press on.

But, my betting is you will still blame Labour even although it's a fact I would still be employed if Labour were in power .

Taken straight from their website: "Liberal Democrats believe university education should be free and everyone who has the ability should be able to go to university and not be put off by the cost."

So there you go. A couple of lies and more to come I would imagine, but, some of us are alright, Jack!

Just as a footnote I do actually believe that in some way you should pay for your own education, I am at the moment, and I am not exactly a lover of the Labour party from the last 13 years, but, it's evident that British, and World, politics needs a major shake-up and I reckon what the "students" are doing just now is what is needed to start getting people to see they are being taken for a ride by all politicians.

Would be interesting to see how many would still be up for the job if there wasn't a huge salary involved!

Edited by Dragon

It was actually the Tory Party who promised a 100 day consultation period to the Company I worked for, and hundreds of others down South, then when the Coalition Government came to power they scrapped the consultation period virtually on the day they came to power. Our orders went from 1500 to 50 overnight and most of the orders from the previous week were scrapped. 75% of our workforce were made redundant, with at least 15,000 others going. Loads of small businesses and self-employed gone virtually overnight. If given the 100 days our Company, and many others, would have been able to change focus and would have had the workforce in place to press on.

But, my betting is you will still blame Labour even although it's a fact I would still be employed if Labour were in power .

i wonder if you would ?? labour for all there screaming and shouting would have had to make such cuts...what ever they say.

Taken straight from their website: "Liberal Democrats believe university education should be free and everyone who has the ability should be able to go to university and not be put off by the cost."

So there you go. A couple of lies and more to come I would imagine, but, some of us are alright, Jack!

as i said before those libs in the cabinet found out those "promises" were not sustainable and HAD to change.

you have (for whats its worth) my sympathy i was jobless for 8 months (2009) with wife and two kids and people dont understand the stress involved with all the interviews and retraining to be told it dosnt mater because you dont have the experiance anyway.add to that trying to find a home and lifes a dream :thumbdown:

Just as a footnote I do actually believe that in some way you should pay for your own education, I am at the moment, and I am not exactly a lover of the Labour party from the last 13 years, but, it's evident that British, and World, politics needs a major shake-up and I reckon what the "students" are doing just now is what is needed to start getting people to see they are being taken for a ride by all politicians.

Would be interesting to see how many would still be up for the job if there wasn't a huge salary involved!

"i wonder if you would ?? labour for all there screaming and shouting would have had to make such cuts...what ever they say."

This wasn't anything to do with the cuts. This was, primarily, the Tories seeing a Labour implementation they didn't like and wanted it removed. Strange that the person who wants to implement the new policy for the ConDems also runs a business with services directly related to how the new policy will run and there are virtually no other competitors as of yet.

"as i said before those libs in the cabinet found out those "promises" were not sustainable and HAD to change."

Heard this "excuse" before and sounds more like a Tory party one-liner. Just like the scrapping of the Mansion Tax. Who would have been affected by this? Well, only those with Mansions and we know who most of them are.

Anyway, we all have our points of views and mine is that all politicians are corrupt just by taking a wage. Do it for reasonable expenses and then I might believe.

Unfortunately the 16 years work experience I have counts for absolutely nothing without a Degree. Wonder how many people from my background might be put off now.

"i wonder if you would ?? labour for all there screaming and shouting would have had to make such cuts...what ever they say."

This wasn't anything to do with the cuts. This was, primarily, the Tories seeing a Labour implementation they didn't like and wanted it removed. Strange that the person who wants to implement the new policy for the ConDems also runs a business with services directly related to how the new policy will run and there are virtually no other competitors as of yet.

"as i said before those libs in the cabinet found out those "promises" were not sustainable and HAD to change."

Heard this "excuse" before and sounds more like a Tory party one-liner. Just like the scrapping of the Mansion Tax. Who would have been affected by this? Well, only those with Mansions and we know who most of them are.

its true though libs have happly went through life not having to worry what they promised, now they have.

Anyway, we all have our points of views and mine is that all politicians are corrupt just by taking a wage. Do it for reasonable expenses and then I might believe.

agree totaly with that, half (at least) of ALL politicians should be up in court for fruad.

Unfortunately the 16 years work experience I have counts for absolutely nothing without a Degree. Wonder how many people from my background might be put off now.