Jags On The Way Out The Door.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to save wages over the summer and offer them deals in time for the start of the season. My bets are on Sid, Bryn, Hinchy and A N Other.

Agreed.

Im pretty sure Conroy's deal is up at Celtic and with new management possibly coming in, he may not be in future plans?

Quite a clear out - so who's he got in mind for goalie(s)? After the display (realise it's only one game though) at Dingwall and the fact that Tuffey's going I thought Halliwell would have been offered a contract. Has Shepherd had any first-team experience yet?

Could this be the start of us building a split part-time/full-time squad with such a clear-out? Hinchcliffe and Donnelly to remain as non-playing staff as "door isn't shut entirely on a number of those players"?

Halliwell leaving is a bit of a surprise after he made a couple of decent appearances, this also leaves us with zilch in the goalkeeping department as Tuffey and Hinchcliffe have also left. I've heard that we are after Stephen Robertson from Airdrie Utd but have to wait until their season is over as Ballantyne has had to sign up the majority of the Utd team on 28 day contracts which he was none too pleased about!

I fear this is more to do with the Boards unofficial save wages over summer. We know McCall wants Donnelly to stay, but him and the others are being freed up over the enxt couple of months to save wages. Also is the likelihood of us not getting any new signings untilend of June/July to save wages.

Thats all very well but what players will be left in the market by then, no doubt dross like Jim Hamilton while all the best ones will have been snapped up by other teams.

We will surely be in afight to simply avoid relegation next season.

Again in my opinion th b oard should be dipping into their own pockets.

McCall has played down the release of the players, but I would imagine he'll be raging to have had to do it. Especially with Hinchy (to stay as goalie coach), Halliwell & Donnelly (player/coach). Lets hope they don't get signed up by other clubs over the summer.

I would much rather have Corrigan at RB than Paton as well.

Bit disappointed to see Corcy being allowed to leave, started brightly but has been off form for a number of months.

Also is the likelihood of us not getting any new signings untilend of June/July to save wages.

I think you're spot on.

Bit disappointed to see Corcy being allowed to leave, started brightly but has been off form for a number of months.

I'd suggest it's more down to his attitude. Games like the first away trip to Dens showed us what he's capable of. The fact he didn't produce that kind of form on a regular basis was down to him alone.

No surprised at all. Although that doesn't mean I agree or disagree with the decisions. The budget is being cut again and Cowan still believes we can challenge. If this is what the manager needs to do, for the benefit of the budget, then so be it.

If we wanted to offer new contracts to some of these players, then we would have done if we had the money. But we don't.

Hinchy and Sid will most likely be back next season, both as coaches with the option of playing them if needed. Add to that Maxi or MacNamara as coach/assistant/player.

Other than that there are no real surprises, although Corcoran must have been touch and go due to his good start to the season.

All reads well to me and i hope none of them are brought back in any capacity.

Donnelly has been great but I don't see a job for him from now on. He is not a proven coach and he is past it as a player.

Hinchy as a goalkeeping coach is a waste of a wage and Maxwell should not be invited back as a coach and certainly not a player.

The rest of them arent good enough Corrigan is alright but nothing more, Corcoran is a waste of space and by all accounts a bit of a bad egg.

Credit to McCall for weilding the axe. Lets hope he doesn't go crawling back to any of them with coaching jobs in August, time to move on.

For this year see last year, maybe a couple of early signings then nothing until a couple of weeks before the new season starts.

I'd expect Sid and Maxy back at Firhill in player-coach capacities. I think filling the goalie gig will be a headache unless Bryn is a patient man with deep pockets.

......................Scully

Paton.....Robertson.....Kinniburgh.....Archibald

.....Cairney.....Rowson.....Hodge.....Erskine

..................Buchanan.....Grehan

+ McGeough, Erskine, Doolan, Burns (Boyle & Corcy).

That's what we currently have, it really isn't that bad (obviously we need a goalkeeper & more depth). It won't win us the league, but there are some good players in there. if some decent players can be added to that team/squad, we should have an ok season. Still don't think we'll challenge for promotion, but with our budget we shouldn't be.

Might as well say what I think we need in here.

2 goalkeepers, Halliwell & 1 other? I would go with Halliwell & Scully, don't see the point in wasting a wage on a 2nd goalie who'll mosty likely hardly play.

A utility defender who can play RB/LB/CB/CM, McNamara? + a left back & CB.

A right midfielder & probably a left midfielder with Corcy leaving. + 2 CM's.

1 striker, maybe Donnelly + 1 other?

If we get all that I'll be extrememly surprised, but I would say it's what we need to have a decent squad with some back-up.

Hinchy as a goalkeeping coach is a waste of a wage and Maxwell should not be invited back as a coach and certainly not a player.

Disagree with that, we've seen how Tuffey has improved since Hinchy arrived (well, most have). I'll trust McCall's judgement that Hinchy is a good goalie coach & will help the development of Scully + any other goalkeeper(s) we sign.

It's a waste of a wage during the summer, yes, but so is laying any player through the summer/when injured.

Disagree with that, we've seen how Tuffey has improved since Hinchy arrived (well, most have). I'll trust McCall's judgement that Hinchy is a good goalie coach & will help the development of Scully + any other goalkeeper(s) we sign.

It's a waste of a wage during the summer, yes, but so is laying any player through the summer/when injured.

beggars can't be choosers, we can't afford passengers like Hinchy and Maxwell, both are done.

Whats involved in being a goalie coach?

1. Ping in crosses for the goalie to practice catching.

2. Whack shots from various angles and distances for the goalie to practice saving.

3. Pass the ball back at different angles/speeds for the goalie to practice clearances.

4. Do that tippy tappy thing when they dive to one side then have to get up quickly to dive to the other side, repeat ad nauseum.

5. Tell him to go do the fitness stuff with everyone else.

I've always fancied an outdoors type job, maybe I should apply for it? I'm as unfit as Hinchcliffe for a start.

2. Whack shots from various angles and distances for the goalie to practice saving.

3. Pass the ball back at different angles/speeds for the goalie to practice clearances.

4. Do that tippy tappy thing when they dive to one side then have to get up quickly to dive to the other side, repeat ad nauseum.

I've always fancied an outdoors type job, maybe I should apply for it? I'm as unfit as Hinchcliffe for a start.

Then why do we bother with any coaches other than fitness then?

I'm not in the least upset by any of it.

The perfect set of decisions by McCall, I think. And if we get a couple of them back at the start of next season in a minor role, that'll be fine too. If we get in even 3 decent players before the start of next season, we should do just fine with what we've already got.

The most worrying thing for me is MacBeth's trial down south. He looks like a real prospect, and we'd be better seeing him develop in the first team next season, thereby increasing his value. If he goes now, before he's even really broken into the team, we'll get a lot less for him.

beggars can't be choosers, we can't afford passengers like Hinchy and Maxwell, both are done.

Don't think anyone has denied that they are both 'done', in terms of playing, but both may well be good coaches. I'm not fussed about Maxy staying, but would like Hinchy to stay as goalie coach.

I have no idea, but like goalkeeping it's probably something you are either good at or you're not. Alot of it is probably to do with creating confidence & getting into their head. Remember Gomes at Spurs? Was utter sh*te, a new goalie coach was brought in by Redknapp & it totally transformed him, a fluke?

Edited by 1 John Lambie