'firhill Transfer Frenzy'

Firhillista

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be an age thingy, BJ :unsure: . Even without Balatoni there's still cover at centreback. There's Kinniburgh, Archie, McNamara & McGeough. Even if it's three at the back if an injury occurs Rowson or Lochhead can cover.

Loyal players are often released early so if Robbo is not in McCall's plans for next season he could be one to go. That said the gist of the article imo hints at younger players leaving.

i think it is a mix of age, drop in form and starting to make some basic mistakes, but mostly the ijuries which at his age take longer and longer to heal.

Sad if he's chosen for the axe. To me, Robbo's one of the last true characters we have left on the pitch. A no-nonsense 100%er for me; seems to absolutely love playing in the red'n'yella, not something you can say about everybody else these days. I personally thought he came on leaps and bounds when McCall moved him from wing back to CB.

Probably the last real Jaggy character we had was Mark Roberts, and to think that both these two were signed by the galoot whose name should never be mentioned again on here. :blink:

If 3 were to go, I'd probably want them to be

-Robertson

-Grehan/Buchanan

-one from Hodge, Cairney and Flannigan

I don't really mind if Buchanan goes because we can't wait for a run of form forever. He can't hit the ball cleanly when he gets a chance, and it's one of the main reasons that we often dominate games and still lose.

The reason there is so much debate over the 3 midfielders is that they are inconsistent. Take Paul Cairney for example - truly awful and barely touched the ball in the 4-2 stirling defeat, then was a key player in the 3-1 cup win back at forthbank a month later.

I heard a rumour at the Dunfermline game from one of their fans that they were signing Buchanan in January. The reason given was that we can't afford his wages. I don't know what we pay him, but it is only a rumour.

If another club signs Liam before he's hoofed out at the end of the season I will be very surprised.

Hodge has done enough for me in recent games to last until the end of the season, he has something, lets just hope he can show it more. Grehan? Probably, but will we get anyone to replace him? He's ok & something different to any other striker. Flannigan? Again, has a bit of quality, maybe lacks some dig. Wouldn't get rid just yet. Can't see anyone else leaving.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

Isn't this all just wild speculation on the basis of the manager saying what he'd like to do? The only players I think that anyone would want to take would be the ones we'd want to keep. (Yes, teams from a lower division might take some of the others but would they want the move?) It's probably just a case of a paper making a story out of pretty much nothing.

On the other had why let that stop speculation ..

I suppose it might be possible to move on a midfield player as we seem to have quite a bit of cover there now with players getting back from injury. Maybe Hodge could go leaving Cairney, Rowson, Flannigan and Erskine as a basic midfield 4 (with Macnamara cover for midfield and defence). The manager might figure that with Bannigan coming back soon and MacBeth fit again he's got enough cover for the middle.

With our main problem the lack of goals – it makes sense that he will want to bring in goal scorers. If he can let Liam go and bring in Hardie for less money then this is a good move.

Grehan has not been scoring goals so letting him go also looks the right move, but I think he will want to stay put and fight for his place.

Edited by Alan Murray

With our main problem the lack of goals – it makes sense that he will want to bring in goal scorers. If he can let Liam go and bring in Hardie for less money then this is a good move.

Grehan has not been scoring goals so letting him go also looks the right move, but I think he will want to stay put and fight for his place.

Grehan LOOKS the part, but he really needs to start to deliver, pronto.

Grehan LOOKS the part, but he really needs to start to deliver, pronto.

I'm reminded a bit of the situation with Doolan a year ago. He looked to have a bit of pace and keanness about him but never seemed to get a regular game. When he finally did get a run he scored a few - unfortunately he's been in and out of the team recently and the goals seem to have dried up at the same time.

Grehan needs a bit of a run in the team to show if he really can do it in our division. But will he get it? While we're stuck in the bottom half of the table I see the manager sticking to the old regulars. It would be a pity if he doesn't get a real chance - he does, as you say, look the part.

Maybe the case, but it would leave us extremely light in the 'striker' department. :unsure:

Whereas we are not so light in defence. If we were looking to move on high earners I would presume Archie would be one of the highest and possibly Robertson as well though I could be completely wrong once again. I never thought I would say this considering a year ago but it may be far more important to get Boyle and Paton down now. Got to say Kinniburgh has also been a complete change around this season as well.

I really dont know about Grehan at all.

It's all very well saying players will be moved on, but who would take these guys? they're at the lowest level of the full time game and I don't see many of our divisional rivals taking folk we don't want or players going part time mid-season.

Also heard the rumour re: Liam being one of those in line for the exit.

Everyone is touting Grehan to be one of the ones told to leave, and I too think that will happen, but am I the only one that thinks he's being treated a bit harshly by McCall? I can't remember him playing more than two games in a row, and when he has played he's probably been better than Buchanan, yet Buchanan is always picked before him. He scored the other week, albeit a very scrappy goal, and hasn't played since, which is quite unfair on the boy.

Everyone is touting Grehan to be one of the ones told to leave, and I too think that will happen, but am I the only one that thinks he's being treated a bit harshly by McCall? I can't remember him playing more than two games in a row, and when he has played he's probably been better than Buchanan, yet Buchanan is always picked before him. He scored the other week, albeit a very scrappy goal, and hasn't played since, which is quite unfair on the boy.

I think I'd go along with that. He has never really been given a run, and when he has played, we haven't exactly created a lot of chances.