Glasgow Warriors Thread

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the pitch size of Firhill?

68m*105m?

How long is the ingoal when Rugby is played at Firhill?

68m across I believe - I know its around 2 yards under the maximum 70 for a Rugby pitch (which according to Scott Hastings is the reason Glasgow beat Edinburgh last season, ignoring the fact we beat them at Murrayfield also...)

In goal area isn't huge - but its larger than many grounds in England (Bath and Wasps in particular spring to mind) where it is tiny. Maybe 5 or 6 yards?

uberteeb - you can (or you could last season, and as far as I know it was successful so they will continue) buy tickets from Greaves until 6pm on matchday. You certainly won't be able to buy them in Firhill during the day though, since all our administrative staff (all 2 of them) are now based at Scotstoun...

68m across I believe - I know its around 2 yards under the maximum 70 for a Rugby pitch (which according to Scott Hastings is the reason Glasgow beat Edinburgh last season, ignoring the fact we beat them at Murrayfield also...)

In goal area isn't huge - but its larger than many grounds in England (Bath and Wasps in particular spring to mind) where it is tiny. Maybe 5 or 6 yards?

uberteeb - you can (or you could last season, and as far as I know it was successful so they will continue) buy tickets from Greaves until 6pm on matchday. You certainly won't be able to buy them in Firhill during the day though, since all our administrative staff (all 2 of them) are now based at Scotstoun...

5 or 6 yards? too small...

According to the Rugby Union rule, the field is 70m*144m (ingoal 22m). However, this rule is largely ignored. Even Twickenham has 10m ingoal (from what I saw on TV).

I think that the rule should be changed. Rugby Union field is 68m*105m, and ingoal is 10m. And goal is placed not on the goal line, but dead bowl line.

This has been confirmed by the club as being the case for this season aswell

5 or 6 yards? too small...

According to the Rugby Union rule, the field is 70m*144m (ingoal 22m). However, this rule is largely ignored. Even Twickenham has 10m ingoal (from what I saw on TV).

I think that the rule should be changed. Rugby Union field is 68m*105m, and ingoal is 10m. And goal is placed not on the goal line, but dead bowl line.

22m for the ingoal is a maximum - the only ground I can think of that actually has that in Europe is Murrayfield (Croke Park used to aswell). Im not sure there even is a minimum - some in England are tiny! I remember for the last RWC they asked the SRU to reduce the size of the pitch (not just the ingoal area, I think) at Murrayfield to make it identical to the other RWC venues.

I know this is probably a bit of a stupid question, however...I assume the Warriors will have pre-season games? Are there any at Firhill?

Sale Sharks are visiting Firhill on friday 20th August (7.30 KO) - the Night before Morton v Thistle I believe.

HC fixtures are announced tomorrow lunchtime, apparently.

Glasgow Warriors' Heineken Cup Pool 6 fixtures:

Friday 8 October, Glasgow Warriors v Dragons, Firhill, kick-off 7.30pm

Sunday 17 October, London Wasps v Glasgow Warriors, Adams Park, kick-off 1pm (Sky Sports)

Friday 10 December, Glasgow Warriors v Toulouse, Firhill, kick-off 8pm (Sky Sports)

Saturday 18 December, Toulouse v Glasgow Warriors, Stade Ernest Wallon, kick-off 2.30pm (Canal+)

w/o 14/15/16 January, Glasgow Warriors v London Wasps, Firhill, date & kick-off tbc

w/o 21/22/23 January, Dragons v Glasgow Warriors, Rodney Parade, date & kick-off tbc

Only clash there is December with us being at home to Ross County on the Sat.

not sure why we don't seem to have a game that week in October. International week maybe?

Euro 2012 qualifier against the Czech republic is on in Prague on Friday the 8th. World champions Spain are at Hampden the following Tuesday!

Edited by German Jag

And at long last, the Magners League fixtures for the coming season:

Glasgow Warriors v Leinster - 3/4/5 Sep, Firhill

Dragons v Glasgow Warriors - 10/11/12 Sep, Rodney Parade

Glasgow Warriors v Connacht - 17/18/19 Sep, Firhill

Glasgow Warriors v Munster - 24/25/26 Sep, Firhill

Ulster v Glasgow Warriors - 1/2/3 Oct, Ravenhill

Glasgow Warriors v Ospreys - 22/23/24 Oct, Firhill

Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors - 29/30/31 Oct, Parc y Scarlets

Glasgow Warriors v Aironi Rugby - 5/6/7 Nov, Firhill

Blues v Glasgow Warriors - 26/27/28 Nov, Cardiff City Stadium

Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso - 3/4/5 Dec, Firhill

Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh - 24/25/26 Dec, Firhill

Edinburgh v Glasgow Warriors - 31 Dec, Murrayfield

Munster v Glasgow Warriors - 7/8/9 Jan, TBA

Glasgow Warriors v Blues - 11/12/13 Feb, Firhill

Connacht v Glasgow Warriors - 18/19/20 Feb, Sportsground

Glasgow Warriors v Dragons - 25/26/27 Feb, Firhill

Ospreys v Glasgow Warriors - 4/5/6 Mar, Liberty Stadium

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster - 25/26/27 Mar, Firhill

Aironi Rugby v Glasgow Warriors - 1/2/3 Apr, Stadio Zaffanella

Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors - 15/16/17 Apr, Stadio di Monigo

Glasgow Warriors v Scarlets - 22/23/24 Apr, Firhill

Leinster v Glasgow Warriors - 6/7/8 May, Royal Dublin Society

Which throws up the following clashes:

Partick Thistle v Dunfermline (25th sept)

Glasgow v Munster (24th-26th sept)

Partick Thistle v Raith Rovers (26th December)

Glasgow v Edinburgh (24th or 26th Dec)

Partick Thistle v Morton (23rd April)

Glasgow v Llanelli (22nd-24th April)

September and April should be fine on the pitch I would have thought, but that december one could be a real pain in the erse - Christmas eve really isn't a great time to be holding the game, and although it gives a full day for the pitch to recover I doubt the groundstaff will be too pleased with working christmas day. Ofcourse the other option is to play both games on boxing day (football first, obviously)? or Glasgow could move to a different venue? (there were murmours about Hampden being used last season for this fixture)

Would have been much easier though if we were at home on hogmanay.

Which throws up the following clashes:

Partick Thistle v Dunfermline (25th sept)

Glasgow v Munster (24th-26th sept)

Partick Thistle v Raith Rovers (26th December)

Glasgow v Edinburgh (24th or 26th Dec)

Partick Thistle v Morton (23rd April)

Glasgow v Llanelli (22nd-24th April)

September and April should be fine on the pitch I would have thought, but that december one could be a real pain in the erse - Christmas eve really isn't a great time to be holding the game, and although it gives a full day for the pitch to recover I doubt the groundstaff will be too pleased with working christmas day. Ofcourse the other option is to play both games on boxing day (football first, obviously)? or Glasgow could move to a different venue? (there were murmours about Hampden being used last season for this fixture)

Would have been much easier though if we were at home on hogmanay.

That December one looks a right nightmare, and probably likely to go ahead on the 24th. Would the SRU even consider asking to have the Edinburgh ties switched if it isn't possible to use Hampden?

That December one looks a right nightmare, and probably likely to go ahead on the 24th. Would the SRU even consider asking to have the Edinburgh ties switched if it isn't possible to use Hampden?

no way Celtic Rugby (if they are even still called that) would consider it - there have been games in the past where neithe club are happy with the date, both agree to play it the day after (Munster v Leinster last year was on good friday + pubs cannot open on good friday in Ireland = lots of unhappy rugby fans) yet CR forced it through on the friday.

Anyway, season books came through this morning - and the covering letter says the game will be on monday 27th december (with the away leg on the 2nd of January - when are the Old Firm and Edinburgh Derbies likely to be played that weekend?). And you Thistle Season Ticket holders arent the only ones who have to exchange vouchers for the Edinburgh game before October 31st - even we have to do it! (although atleast it means we can sit with friends who dont have season tickets - and at a discount £10 aswell)

Also notice that the public sale tickets go up to the higher £20 rate 1 week before kick-off, rather than 3 hours as per usual - makes sense though from the clubs point of view since it starts getting complicated when selling reserved seats on the night. Would imagine their hope is it sells out before match-day...

And just noticed something (which was announced months ago) which hasn't been mentioned in this thread: from next season BBC Alba will be producing 8 live games a season (that is, where they are the host broadcaster filming matches in Scotland) and will also enjoy reciprocal streams for game being produced by BBC Wales/S4C/BBC Norn Ire/RTE/TG4 - meaning there will be at least one game on BBC Alba almost every week of the season

LWA -or anyone else that goes to more than 1 game a season like me- how do you see Glasgow doing this year?

With the sad retiral of Thom Evans, and Parks + Brown moving on plus Beattie's injury ruling him out of the first part of the season, that's 4 big players from last season missing.

Any good youngsters coming through? Is Jackson good enough to take over at 10?

Edited by Ancipital

Did you lot get a voucher for a Jags game and can it be used at any league game?

no mention on the covering letter, but there is a voucher with "PTFC league game" printed on it - assume it is valid for any game (as it doesnt say otherwise)

LWA -or anyone else that goes to more than 1 game a season like me- how do you see Glasgow doing this year?

With the sad retiral of Thom Evans, and Parks + Brown moving on plus Beattie's injury ruling him out of the first part of the season, that's 4 big players from last season missing.

Any good youngsters coming through? Is Jackson good enough to take over at 10?

as much as it pains me to say it - a season of consolodation would be great.

Can see them being in the running for the play-offs again, but dont think we will have the experience to actually pull it off - Parks is obviously a great loss, and loosing 2 of the back row for the first few months will be a major blow although we do have some decent cover there fortunatly.

In previous years when we have had Jackson at 10 the rugby has been far more entertaining (5 tries at Bath on his debut), but the defence has been posted missing numerous times. Im sure with game time he will improve that though (or atleast I hope he does). The main problem with Jackson is that he seems to break every time someone goes near him :(

Duncan Weir (signed from Hawks at the end of last season, made his debut v Leinster) looks far more solid, and has been widely tipped to be a great player - Peter Wright (his coach at Hawks) has suggested he could even have an outside chance of earning a place in the RWC squad next year.

We seem to have a reasonable fixture schedule though - we face both Leinster and Munster in the first 4 weeks, and I am told none of the Irish international players will be coming over (certainly not for Leinster, possibly not for Munster either), we get Cardiff during international windows (both times) so could benefit there aswell.

----

Just listened to an interview with our CEO Kenny Baillie (that lasted 30 minutes!) talking about all sorts of aspects of the club. One of the points he was talking about an aim of getting crowds up over the 5,000 mark, to which he was asked "and where will these 5,000 crowds be? I think there was a believe when you announced the Scotstoun deal that that was a back-up to Firhill and the club may move in the future"

Kenny basically said that Firhill has been a good home to us, that the players love playing there, that he feels the fans have warmed to it and got into a routine of going there, and that there was "absolutley no plans to move away from Firhill"

Have a question regarding the Warriors season ticket, my old man's neighbours have gotten themselves season tickets and said my dad could use them to get into a Thistle game if he wants to.

How does he do it, does he just turn up and the turnstyle and present the season ticket voucher or does he need to change it for match day ticket?

Cheers.

Have a question regarding the Warriors season ticket, my old man's neighbours have gotten themselves season tickets and said my dad could use them to get into a Thistle game if he wants to.

How does he do it, does he just turn up and the turnstyle and present the season ticket voucher or does he need to change it for match day ticket?

Cheers.

last season you took a voucher from the back of the book (they seemed to accept any voucher from 15-20, so you could use it multiple times - this season the voucher is printed "PTFC League Match" so you can only do it once) to the portacabin behind the JH Stand, and they will exchange it for a match ticket.

last season you took a voucher from the back of the book (they seemed to accept any voucher from 15-20, so you could use it multiple times - this season the voucher is printed "PTFC League Match" so you can only do it once) to the portacabin behind the JH Stand, and they will exchange it for a match ticket.

Cheers, no doubt my old boy will get it wrong somehow!!

• 2 weeks later...

Glasgow get their season off to a flying start today with a whoping 71-7 away win...

... Shame it was only against Dundee FP's

At least it might finally put to bed the suggestion we should scrap the pro-teams and enter our club champions into the HC. Think today may have been a wake-up call to the vast difference in intensity between professional rugby and the amature game these days - and it wasn''t even that strong a Glasgow side! (no Jackson, not Cusiter, no Evans's, no DTH, no Morrison, no Beattie. We were supposed to be in France atm playing Top 14 opposition, but had to pull out because we didn't have 15 players fit/available. Fielded a 17 year old scrum-half today!)

Sale will provide a must sterner test a week on friday - some cracking players in the Sale squad (if he plays, Mikaele Pesamino is worth the admission alone - saw him playing for Samoa in the IRB 7's at murrayfield back in June, just hope he is just as exciting to watch in the XV's game) but hopefully we can get another good performance. (hopefully they will come up here to play Rugby, unlike Wasps in last years friendly...)

Reports by L.G.A. much appreciated here. Been to quite a few Warriors games and been very impressed with the match experience. I think more Thistle supporters should pop along to the rugby at Firhill and enjoy a really good night/day out. Value for money ok compared with what's on offer at Thistle games.

Keep it up L.W.A.

• 2 weeks later...

just back from a Q&A session with Sean Lineen, Kenny Baillie and some of the summers signings at Firhill.

First of all, Kenny was once again keen to stress the event was held at Firhill because that is where we play, and that is where we will continue to play. He then spoke about the efforts off the pitch to increase the fan-base, comenting that our crowds rose by 16% last season, and that if we continue that growth this season we will be not far short of the 5,000 mark (putting us on a level playing field with some of our english rivals in European Cups), and perhaps the best statistic of all is that Season Ticket Sales are 41% ahead of where they were at this time last year. No actual figures, but I believe that would give us in the region of 1,400 ST holders (still a long way of the 13,000 Leinster have - and they have a waiting list on top of that now). To put that in perspective, our first game at Firhill had an attendance of 1,000, while the first competitive game was around 1,300...

The 'Band of Warriors' (juniour supporters club) now has 1,900 members and is still growing steadilly towards the SRU-set target of 4,000. Now, if only we can ensure all 1,900 attend every game ;) He went on to state there were 3 main target groups (U 18's, the Glasgow Rugby comunity - ie clubs - and the greater general public) He conceeded more could be done to promote the club to the greater public (but we actually have some advertising now - there is a taxi covered in Glasgow colours revealed yesterday, and apparently there is an advert running on Clyde 1 for fridays friendly), but said in his experience (and he is the ex- Hawks CEO) the clubs in Glasgow were begining to accept the road we have gone down and get behind the team.

Sean Lineen says the entire team is currenntly injured (well, he didn't explicitly say that, but he conceeded there were lots of injuries) Johnnie Beattie and, I think, James Eddie are both long-term - in the region os 6 months - but the rest he hopes to have fit in the near future. He wasn't atall happy Chris Cusiter travelled to Argentina - blaming that for his knee injury worsening. In his words, "the only positive from the Argentina tour is the way Moray Low performed. He is a man now." TBH I would tend to agree.

He is also really pleased to have signed a player of Federico Aramburu's quality, and despite hardly speaking any english a massive grin came across his face when kenny Baillie said the words "try" and "RWC semi-final" in the same sentence ;) Apparently he played his club rugby in Argentina with a certain Bernardo Stortoni, and when Bernie signed for Bristol he went to Biarritz. Hopefully being re-united will bring the best out in both of them. And while Bernie played a large part in bringing him to the club, according to Sean, "the clincher was when he played at Murrayfield in november and dumped Sean Lamont on his a*se"

BBC Alba will be showing 5 games from Firhill each season for the next 4 years minimum (will likely cover play-offs aswell if we make it), and will also be showing 5 games from Murrayfield and 12 games from Ireland, Wales and "hopefully Italy aswell" (all involving Glasgow or Edinburgh). Essentially, this amounts to BBC Alba having a game at 7.05 on a friday in EVERY round of the season, and they have had to alter their schedule and move the news to 9pm to accomodate the Rugby. There is still hope of STV continuing their highlights programe, despite loosing the derby games, and to quote Kenny Baillie, "the ball is very much in their court"

On the issue of referee's, Sean Lineen admitted he gets just as annoyed with them as us supporters do, and agrees the position that TJ's are non-neutral is a disgrace. He took great delight in the highlights of the Dundee game showing the ref being knocked on his erse at one of the tries, and says that he has had long chats with referees over the summer about the new interperetations and the basic fact is they now very much favour the attacking team. Because of this, he says glasgow will look to play an exciting, offloading game this season. This is apparent in the videos of the Dundee HSFP game, and if its carried into the new season then there should be some exciting rugby this coming season at Firhill.

Very much looking forward to friday night now - a new attacking style of play, some exciting players in the Sale side (if Mikaele Pessamino comes up he is worth the admission fee alone) and what will be a very popular choice for captain ;)

The full Broadcast shedule for the first 12 rounds is out now - and 7 Glasgow games are live on BBC Alba (and BBC iPlayer).

only the homes games versus the Italians, Munster, Connacht and the away game at Cardiff (although as yet no date has been set for this one, and hence no host broadcaster has picked it up yet) arent televised. BBC Alba are also showing 8 Edinburgh games in that same time-frame (including both derbies, which have been counted twice), with the only away games not being shown being away at Cardiff (a feed is available from S4C, but BBC Alba already have a game that night) and both trips to Italy (Italians dont have a host broadcaster yet, so no feed to use)

not bad going, since only 3 games were broadcast last season!

The full Broadcast shedule for the first 12 rounds is out now - and 7 Glasgow games are live on BBC Alba (and BBC iPlayer).

only the homes games versus the Italians, Munster, Connacht and the away game at Cardiff (although as yet no date has been set for this one, and hence no host broadcaster has picked it up yet) arent televised. BBC Alba are also showing 8 Edinburgh games in that same time-frame (including both derbies, which have been counted twice), with the only away games not being shown being away at Cardiff (a feed is available from S4C, but BBC Alba already have a game that night) and both trips to Italy (Italians dont have a host broadcaster yet, so no feed to use)

not bad going, since only 3 games were broadcast last season!

Do you think this could have an adverse impact on attendances?

Do you think this could have an adverse impact on attendances?

In a word: no.

Obviously, its not as simple as that - and yes I do think we will see a small drop (or hopefully a smaller-than-other-matches rise on the previous season, rather than a drop ;) ) But as the season progresses I think it will do more good than harm.

Dont think there will be too big a drop though - only the big games are on TV (Leinster - they dont come much bigger than them, Ospreys - a grudge match after last seasons farce, and Edinburgh - being on tv didn't hinder us last season) and for the supporters who have been before and know a bit about the league, these are the games you want to be at. And for prospective supporters who have never been before, if they can watch some games on TV it may boost their chances of actually making the effort to get up and go to watch a team they actually know something about

One of the main problems for us is that, unlike Thistle, or Rangers, or Celtic ect. where the team rarely go more than 3 weeks without a home game (and more often than not, are at home every other week), we can sometimes have long periods without games (4 weeks during November, and you can have away games either side of that making it 6 weeks without a home game). If you arent a die-hard fan, it can be quite hard to know when your next home game is, or what has happened to the team ect. Hopefully with nearly every away game being televised, we will see people feeling more connected with the club. What will also help is that, with 4 extra games, we will be getting games during international windows, so there wont be such long gaps.

I think there will be bigger issues that affect crowds than games being televised - aside from the obvious (performances on the pitch), playing the Ospreys the same day as 'the filth' have their first riot of the season at Parkhead, playing 2 games (Leinster and Newport (HC)) at the same time Scotland are playing football qualifiers (and Wales are playing at the same time when Newport visit), playing Cardiff on a 6 Nations weekend (Wales are in Edinburgh, so could be a positive affect) ect. will have as much, if not more, affect than BBC Alba showing games.

Now, if the televised games were Connacht and Treviso, things might be different!

In a word: no.

Obviously, its not as simple as that - and yes I do think we will see a small drop (or hopefully a smaller-than-other-matches rise on the previous season, rather than a drop ;) ) But as the season progresses I think it will do more good than harm.

Dont think there will be too big a drop though - only the big games are on TV (Leinster - they dont come much bigger than them, Ospreys - a grudge match after last seasons farce, and Edinburgh - being on tv didn't hinder us last season) and for the supporters who have been before and know a bit about the league, these are the games you want to be at. And for prospective supporters who have never been before, if they can watch some games on TV it may boost their chances of actually making the effort to get up and go to watch a team they actually know something about

One of the main problems for us is that, unlike Thistle, or Rangers, or Celtic ect. where the team rarely go more than 3 weeks without a home game (and more often than not, are at home every other week), we can sometimes have long periods without games (4 weeks during November, and you can have away games either side of that making it 6 weeks without a home game). If you arent a die-hard fan, it can be quite hard to know when your next home game is, or what has happened to the team ect. Hopefully with nearly every away game being televised, we will see people feeling more connected with the club. What will also help is that, with 4 extra games, we will be getting games during international windows, so there wont be such long gaps.

I think there will be bigger issues that affect crowds than games being televised - aside from the obvious (performances on the pitch), playing the Ospreys the same day as 'the filth' have their first riot of the season at Parkhead, playing 2 games (Leinster and Newport (HC)) at the same time Scotland are playing football qualifiers (and Wales are playing at the same time when Newport visit), playing Cardiff on a 6 Nations weekend (Wales are in Edinburgh, so could be a positive affect) ect. will have as much, if not more, affect than BBC Alba showing games.

Now, if the televised games were Connacht and Treviso, things might be different!

I agree for thw most part with that, but with regards to the part in bold, would prospective fans not be happy to watch at home if it's only the big games that are shown. If I lived in Glasgow I'd be there from time to time, I always try to make the Edinburgh game during the holidays, but for the other games I'd probably happily stay in the house and save the entry fee.