Glasgow Warriors Thread

I agree for thw most part with that, but with regards to the part in bold, would prospective fans not be happy to watch at home if it's only the big games that are shown. If I lived in Glasgow I'd be there from time to time, I always try to make the Edinburgh game during the holidays, but for the other games I'd probably happily stay in the house and save the entry fee.

well thats the players job, to play well enough that it makes people want to watch every game ;)

Im sure there will be a few in that camp - but hopefully it will be easilly outweighed by the people who get to watch the team for the first time on tv and decide to attend a game or two.

Only time will tell if this is the case - but the early evidence if fairly good. The fact our ST sales have increased by 3 times the rate our attendances rose last season suggests there is a growing core support who want to attend mor eoften, even with the TV deal being announced.

Team has now been announced for friday:

15 Bernardo Stortoni CAPTAIN

14 DTH van der Merwe

13 Max Evans

12 Rob Dewey

11 Federico Aramburu

10 Ruaridh Jackson

9 Henry Pyrgos

1 Ryan Grant

2 Fergus Thomson

3 Moray Low

4 Aly Muldowney

5 Richie Gray

6 Ryan Wilson

7 Chris Fusaro

8 Richie Vernon

Substitutes: Paul Burke, Alex Dunbar, Calum Forrester, Finlay Gillies, Rob Harley, Peter Horne, Ed Kalman, Pat MacArthur, Murray McConnell, Peter Murchie, Colin Shaw, Stevie Swindall, Kevin Tkachuk, Duncan Weir

great to see Bernie captain the side - always comes across as such a nice guy, always gives his all in a Glasgow shirt, has only had 1 bad game since he signed and, according to SL, is so proud to be leading the team out tomorrow. Think I will need to cheer a little bit louder than usual for him.

Will be good to see Steve Swindall back in a Glasgow shirt (even if it is a temporary measure), and looking forward to seeing some of the new signing in action. Surprised we managed to get a whole 29 players who are fit! (although some - Murray McConnell - arent actually singed to Glasgow)

Really glad this horrible 'close season' thing is finally over! :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Rugby Union rules must be changed.

Firstly, the field should be 68m*105m.

Under the present rule, the field is 70m*144m (field of play 100m, ingoal 22m)

Ingoal 22m is maximum, and "at least 10m, if possible", the rules say.

I think that the field of play should be 85m and ingoal should be 10m.

The primary reason is that Rugby have to share its ground with Association Football.

And 22m ingoal is too large. 10m is enough.

And goal should be replaced on the dead ball line, from goal line. The goal on the goal line is an obstacle for play.

And, the number of players should be reduced from 15 to 13, like Rugby League.

And, scrum and FK should be replaced by PK. The points of PG are different from 1 to 4 by the kind of offenses.

What do you think?

Glasgow 22-23 Sale

Attd: 2,290

Now, ignore that result - it doesn't mean anything...

Sale came up to "win at all costs", and apparently all costs means tackling players around the neck, smacking our stand-off on the head with your fist after he gets the ball away, punching our players when they take exception to the afformentioned high tackle (not handbags, a full-fisted punch landed right on his nose), flying into rucks at speed and off their feet, and tackling our players in the air.

In contrast, Glasgow were more interested in playing some rugby and seeing what they could do. Although Not that Sale kicking every penalty they got did them much good - they missed all but 1!)

Some very decent stuff from Glasgow - the kicking game that Dan Parks brought will be missed when results matter (Jackson has no kicking game atall, and Weirs needs some work), but we were playing some really exciting stuff will ball in hand. All the young lads seemed keen to make an impression (particular praise for Murray McConnell - the 17 year old who saved a try by getting underneath a Sale player who must have been 15 stone heavier than him!)

Sales first try was dubious to say the least (every time somebody got near to tackling them, a second Sale player put themselfs between ball carrier and tackler), and the second try came direct from an awful kick-off - but the players involved won't be trying that again.

After last night, im feeling much more confident about the season ahead though - we may not get the same results as last season, but I suspect the games will be far more entertaining with the team looking to throw the ball about and offload in the tackle (and SL said earlier in the week this was the plan) and run at the opposition. Once we get our best players back though, We have the makings of a very decent team here - I reckon we could be competing with Newport and Munster for 4th spot this season, and should certainly still be aiming for the top half (which after the players we lost, and the injury crisis right now, would be a great achievment)

Fortunatly, as this is a RWC season, Munster and Leinster have quotas impossed on how many games their Irish Internationals are allowed to play - and neither are likely to be allowed to use those players in september when they both visit Firhill. :D

I think that Rugby Union rules must be changed.

Firstly, the field should be 68m*105m.

Under the present rule, the field is 70m*144m (field of play 100m, ingoal 22m)

Ingoal 22m is maximum, and "at least 10m, if possible", the rules say.

I think that the field of play should be 85m and ingoal should be 10m.

The primary reason is that Rugby have to share its ground with Association Football.

And 22m ingoal is too large. 10m is enough.

And goal should be replaced on the dead ball line, from goal line. The goal on the goal line is an obstacle for play.

And, the number of players should be reduced from 15 to 13, like Rugby League.

And, scrum and FK should be replaced by PK. The points of PG are different from 1 to 4 by the kind of offenses.

What do you think?

Not a reason to change the rules - you can fit a Rugby pitch in most football stadiums, and its only really something that happens on our island (and in Argentina). of the Aviva Premiership sides, Worcester, Gloucester, Harlequins, Bath, Newcastle, Leicester and Northampton all have dedicated Rugby grounds, while Leeds share with a Rugby League side. Infact only London Irish, Saracens, Wasps and Sale share with football clubs, and Sale actually own their ground, while Wasps are likely to become primary tennants at their new ground - and Saracens were talking about a move to the Olympic Stadium.

Obviously only Glasgow share with football in Scotland, while in Wales only Cardiff and Swansea share with football - Newport and Llanelli own their own grounds. In Ireland, a 'football' ground has a pitch far bigger than a Rugby pitch, but the IRFU teams play in grounds that can accomodate large pitches.

In France - from the Top 14, I think only Racing Metro groundshare. Although a few of the grounds are municipal stadiums, some with athletics tracks.

In the southern hemisphere, there are some rather large rugby stadiums - Newlands, Kings Park, Ellis Park... No need to share with football in South Africa (although the Boks are taking on New Zealand at FNB Stadium today - formerly known as Soccer City).

While New Zealand and Australia are more likely to share with cricket or AFL (in Aus)

Whhy reduce the size of the pitch for the sake of a few grounds in GB?

As for reducing to 13 players and dooing away with the scrum - why not just go and watch Rugby League? The fact no-one folow Rugby League would suggest there is no appetite for this!

FK's should be used more often, not less, to reduce the number of games decided by teams kicking penalties.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasps 36-17 Glasgow

not the best by way of final preparation, but still fairly confident (Wasps are looking a very good team right now - they beat Leinster 41-6 in Dublin last week). At least we managed to bag a couple of tries against them. I just hope they are beginning to feel a bit of strain from the AP season by the time we return next month...

Glasgow v Leinster on friday, live on BBC Alba. Not that anybody will be watching - apparently Scotland are playing some mob called Lithuania at the same time... bit annoyed about that...

I'm not sure I can handle a whole season like last night!

A decent 22-19 win over Leinster in the end, after coming back from 10 points down at half time. Would love to know what was said in the dressing room at half time - the first half, Glasgow were truly awful. Both tries came from Glasgow howlers (the first a line-out on half way that flew into the arms of Jamie Heaslip and set him on his way, the second the Glasgow players were too busy trying to kick the ball over our try line to just fall on it, and eventually it was a Leinster hand that grounded it.

Second half - what a difference. our set piece still struggled, but suddenly Glasgow were looking the better side in open play. Jackson slotted a couple of good penalties in the 1st half (one from the touch line) but Duncan Weir shaded this round, playing a nice pass to put DTH in the our try, before disecting the posts with the conversion from the toucline. With the scores level, he then slotted a drop-goal and then a penalty to edge us ahead, the latter ultimatly proving the winner - and winning himself the man of the match award in the process.

For anyone who is interested, the match in full is available here, and there will be highlights on STV tomorrow night at 11:15

Oh, and top of the league right now! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Alas,alas. This latest display was almost as bad as watching Partick Thistle Except that many of the players at least made an effort. :thinking:

And ofcourse that Glasgow have lot's of key players still to return to the side.

The pack lacked any direction, were second to every ball, and were generally poor. Not even the NZ backline could have won that one if they had to play behind our pack. Although, having said that even if they had been first to every ruck, they still wouldn't have stood a chance, such was the 'bending of the rules' going on from Newport - and going unpunished by Damasco.

The yellow cards were terrible aswell - the first one, what did he do wrong? he was on his feet, he came in from the right side? I't should have been penalty Glasgow for holding onto the ball...

And as for the second, when the F*ck will the ML realise we NEED neutral touch judges? The Scottish ones favour the opposition to try and seem 'fair' - the welsh and irish ones nail their colours to the mast and only officiate one side. How DTH got binned for what can barely be described as handbags, yet Aled Brew (who was at it just as much) walks away scot-free?

And then there was the next incident between those two, where Aled Brew decided to lift DTH, turn him and drop him on his head. Thats a red card and a 6 week ban right there - but the ref ain't interested??

Good to hear John Barclay is nearly fit again - He won't be afraid to step up and take the leadership of the pack in Big Al's absence. Suddenly our pack is looking more like the formidable force it was for much of last season - now lets get into these westies on friday night..

And of course that Glasgow have lot's of key players still to return to the side.

The pack lacked any direction, were second to every ball, and were generally poor. Not even the NZ backline could have won that one if they had to play behind our pack. Although, having said that even if they had been first to every ruck, they still wouldn't have stood a chance, such was the 'bending of the rules' going on from Newport - and going unpunished by Damasco.

The yellow cards were terrible aswell - the first one, what did he do wrong? he was on his feet, he came in from the right side? I't should have been penalty Glasgow for holding onto the ball...

And as for the second, when the F*ck will the ML realise we NEED neutral touch judges? The Scottish ones favour the opposition to try and seem 'fair' - the welsh and irish ones nail their colours to the mast and only officiate one side. How DTH got binned for what can barely be described as handbags, yet Aled Brew (who was at it just as much) walks away scot-free?

And then there was the next incident between those two, where Aled Brew decided to lift DTH, turn him and drop him on his head. Thats a red card and a 6 week ban right there - but the ref ain't interested??

Two Newport Gwent Dragons players have been cited following their side's Magners League win over Glasgow Warriors last Sunday.

The cases of wing Aled Brew and second row Scott Morgan will be heard by the WRU professional disciplinary panel, chaired by Terry Vaux, at the Millennium Stadium on Thursday, September 16.

The Welsh Rugby Union has received citing complaints against the players for incidents during the second half of the game from the match citing commissioner Jeff Mark.

The complaint against Morgan was for an alleged breach of Law 10.4 (a) punching or striking an opponent, while Brew was cited for an alleged dangerous tackle.

The result of the hearing will be issued on Thursday.

Two Newport Gwent Dragons players have been cited following their side's Magners League win over Glasgow Warriors last Sunday.

The cases of wing Aled Brew and second row Scott Morgan will be heard by the WRU professional disciplinary panel, chaired by Terry Vaux, at the Millennium Stadium on Thursday, September 16.

The Welsh Rugby Union has received citing complaints against the players for incidents during the second half of the game from the match citing commissioner Jeff Mark.

The complaint against Morgan was for an alleged breach of Law 10.4 (a) punching or striking an opponent, while Brew was cited for an alleged dangerous tackle.

The result of the hearing will be issued on Thursday.

if they ML feels like it - it took them 6 weeks to announce the details of the disciplinary hearing for the Ospreys last season.

And given it's the WRU that are holding the hearing, I don't expect much to come of it. (i'll be honest though, im not sure what Morgan has been cited for)

------

Glasgow Warriors have received a major boost ahead of this Friday night's Magners League clash against Connacht (17 September, kick-off 7.30pm) as they welcome Scotland international flanker, John Barclay, back to frontline action.

Warriors head coach Sean Lineen is continuing to ponder over final selection and today named a 26-man squad for the Friday night showdown - which returns to the regular time-slot of 7.30pm.

However, Lineen has not hesitated to hand Barclay the captaincy which he inherits a week before his 24th birthday. The flanker takes over the role from fullback Bernardo Stortoni who has led the team over the past month.

Although delighted to be handed the added on-field responsibility, Barclay admits there are leaders all around him who will have a significant impact on the team.

He said: "I captained the team a couple of times last year and enjoyed the challenge but we've got guys around me with experience and who have captained the team in the past, so they will be helping me out."

Barclay has been sidelined due to an Achilles injury which has ruled him out of selection for the first two weeks of the Magners League season.

That opening fortnight brought with it a home win over Leinster before a disappointing away loss to Newport Gwent Dragons.

Having sat out those first two games of the season, Barclay admits he experienced two very different kinds of frustration.

"It was difficult watching the Leinster game," he said. "Obviously you want to be involved, but when the guys won I was delighted, especially with the manner in which they won. Watching the Dragons game last weekend was a different kind of frustration.

"But I'm certainly looking forward to being back, being involved and being in a Glasgow Warriors shirt again."

Glasgow supporters under the age of 18 are reminded that Friday night's game is a 'Band of Warriors' fixture.

Members of Glasgow Warriors' young supporters club, Band of Warriors, receive two free tickets (an adult and a child) to a game at Firhill and the briefs issued so far this season can be used on Friday night.

Those who would like to sign up to attend a future game should log onto www.bandofwarriors.co.uk

The final team selected to play Connacht will be announced before 12noon on Thursday (16 September).

Glasgow Warriors squad to play Connacht at Firhill on Friday 17 September (kick-off 7.30pm):

Forwards: Ryan Grant, Ed Kalman, Moray Low, Kevin Tkachuk, Jon Welsh, Pat MacArthur, Fergus Thomson, Richie Gray, Aly Muldowney, Tom Ryder, John Barclay, Calum Forrester, Rob Harley, Ryan Wilson, Richie Vernon

Backs: Colin Gregor, Henry Pyrgos, Ruaridh Jackson, Duncan Weir, Rob Dewey, Max Evans, Graeme Morrison, Peter Murchie, Hefin O'Hare, DTH van der Merwe, Bernardo Stortoni

Dragons duo free to play

16 September 2010, 6:16 pm

By Westgate

The WRU Professional Disciplinary Panel held a hearing this afternoon (Thursday 16 September) to deal with citing complaints brought by the match citing commissioner Jeff Mark against Newport Gwent Dragons players Aled Brew and Scott Morgan following their Magners League match against Glasgow Warriors on Sunday 12 September.

The allegations against Aled Brew were for a so-called 'spear-tackle' (Law 10.4 (j)) or for a dangerous tackle. The allegation of a 'spear-tackle' was dismissed and although he was found guilty of a dangerous tackle, this offence is dealt with by awarding a penalty or handing the player a yellow card, it is not a red card offence so no further sanction is necessary.

The case of Scott Morgan was for punching or striking an opponent. This citing was not upheld because the panel were not satisfied that the player struck the opponent and the player is free to play.

Both men are now free to play in Saturday's South Wales derby against the Blues at the Cardiff City Stadium.

:mad2: Unbelievable!!!!!!

Dragons duo free to play

16 September 2010, 6:16 pm

By Westgate

The WRU Professional Disciplinary Panel held a hearing this afternoon (Thursday 16 September) to deal with citing complaints brought by the match citing commissioner Jeff Mark against Newport Gwent Dragons players Aled Brew and Scott Morgan following their Magners League match against Glasgow Warriors on Sunday 12 September.

The allegations against Aled Brew were for a so-called 'spear-tackle' (Law 10.4 (j)) or for a dangerous tackle. The allegation of a 'spear-tackle' was dismissed and although he was found guilty of a dangerous tackle, this offence is dealt with by awarding a penalty or handing the player a yellow card, it is not a red card offence so no further sanction is necessary.

The case of Scott Morgan was for punching or striking an opponent. This citing was not upheld because the panel were not satisfied that the player struck the opponent and the player is free to play.

Both men are now free to play in Saturday's South Wales derby against the Blues at the Cardiff City Stadium.

:mad2: Unbelievable!!!!!!

Except it is entirely believable!

I could understand if they had decided Scott Morgan's incident wasn't worthy of a red - if the linesman wasn't biased that was a yellow card TBH - but to give the reason as "not satisfied that the player struck the opponent". FFS did they watch the TV footage?

As for Aled Brew, how dangerous would it have had to be to be worthy of a red? what if it had broken DTH's neck, and he was lying in a welsh hospital like Thom Evans before him. Would it be a red card offence then?

In actual fact, that was a red card offence - according to the rules set out by the IRB. So either the WRU panel was totally unaware of the laws of the game, or they have deliberatly ignored them to clear one of their own teams players... I know which my money is on..

Of course what makes it worse is that, while normally a citing doesn't have any effect for the opponents on the day (unless its a gouging charge where the punishment is often measured in years), with the regularity of games between us and Newport we are playing them again in 3 weeks. Aled Brew should be banned for that game, what are the chances he scores a try or two? Yet had he made that tackle in the HC game, he would have been banned (probably for ~6 weeks) by a disciplinary panel made up of English, Irish and French officials

Except it is entirely believable!

I could understand if they had decided Scott Morgan's incident wasn't worthy of a red - if the linesman wasn't biased that was a yellow card TBH - but to give the reason as "not satisfied that the player struck the opponent". FFS did they watch the TV footage?

As for Aled Brew, how dangerous would it have had to be to be worthy of a red? what if it had broken DTH's neck, and he was lying in a welsh hospital like Thom Evans before him. Would it be a red card offence then?

In actual fact, that was a red card offence - according to the rules set out by the IRB. So either the WRU panel was totally unaware of the laws of the game, or they have deliberatly ignored them to clear one of their own teams players... I know which my money is on..

Of course what makes it worse is that, while normally a citing doesn't have any effect for the opponents on the day (unless its a gouging charge where the punishment is often measured in years), with the regularity of games between us and Newport we are playing them again in 3 weeks. Aled Brew should be banned for that game, what are the chances he scores a try or two? Yet had he made that tackle in the HC game, he would have been banned (probably for ~6 weeks) by a disciplinary panel made up of English, Irish and French officials

I thought I was angry at the time, but reading this pathetic judgement has taken it to new levels. I just hope the team use it to their advantage in the HC.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm - an improvment on previous weeks, but we should have won that on friday. Take away the 17 points we gifted them at the start of the second half, and we would have infact :(

But still, that Munster team is probably the strongest side we have seen at Firhill since we moved there outside of HC games (only Toulouse I would say were stronger) - and there were some fantastic signs from Glasgow. There are the makings of a very good team there, just need a bit more experience and to learn to cut out the silly mistakes (although Stortoni dropped only his second high ball in over 50 games for Glasgow - when that happens you know it isn't your day). I just hope the support stick with them until the results come (3,432 on friday, and the atmosphere in the first half was excellent!)

Ravenhill next week will be tough - Ulster have a very good side this season and I reckon they could well challenge for the title. That said, if we play the way we played in the first half on friday we are perfectly capable of winning. Hopefully it will come together in time for the opening HC game against Newport a week on friday though - would be great if we could hump them and put that to bed.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the deal with these Edinburgh vouchers in our season ticket book? Do we need to go to Greaves and swap them for a ticket? Is it a general admission ticket or will it have a specific seat number? Important to know because if the seats are allocated on the spot I'll need to gather up my mates' vouchers at the next home game and exchange them all at the same time to get seats together.

Can't say I've been paying too much attention to the Warriors this season. Having no free tickets means I'm not going to go much if at all. For me it's just not good value paying £15 or £20 to get in to watch the egg chasing. I was happy to get in for nowt and spend £10-£15 behind the bar but entrance fee plus beer money is too much for something that I'm only half interested in.

How have the crowds been this season?

What's the deal with these Edinburgh vouchers in our season ticket book? Do we need to go to Greaves and swap them for a ticket? Is it a general admission ticket or will it have a specific seat number? Important to know because if the seats are allocated on the spot I'll need to gather up my mates' vouchers at the next home game and exchange them all at the same time to get seats together.

Can't say I've been paying too much attention to the Warriors this season. Having no free tickets means I'm not going to go much if at all. For me it's just not good value paying £15 or £20 to get in to watch the egg chasing. I was happy to get in for nowt and spend £10-£15 behind the bar but entrance fee plus beer money is too much for something that I'm only half interested in.

How have the crowds been this season?

Allocated seats - otherwise we can't get any more than the 8,800 from last season in. Don't know exactly what the deal with Thistle ST's are, but would imagine it will be similar to ours, in which case you will need to send the vouchers away to be exchanged for match-tickets. (think you can also hand them in to the ticket office on matchdays).

As an aside - tickets are now on sale via the SRU ticket site for a bargain £10 (both JH stand and Main stand are available at the moment)

Crowds this season have been quite decent actually - 2,800, 3,000 and 3,4000 (Leinster, Connacht and Munster respectivly). Not bad, given the injuries/departures/stupid KO times/Scotland football games clashing/the way we played v Connacht... Hopefully we can get a bumper crowd tomorrow night (last time our first home game was on a friday we got 5,000. Although that was Toulouse) and get our season back on track.

top of the pool!!! :D :D

A very decent win last night against a team who came up with one goal - break DTH. Newport never looked like scoring last night (except when they resorted to throwing the ball forwards), and had we had a ref who even had a basic understanding of the rules, we could have put some real points on the board. Still don't know how they kept 15 (the cynic in me says 16) players on the pitch.

A bit dissapointed not to get the bonus point TBH, we had the chances to do it (G-Dog butchered a certain try early in the second half, and DTH came very close - so close infact the try looked good from my seat). but given past performances, I will take a fairly solid win versus Newport that now ensures we WILL have something to play for when Toulouse come calling in december. Hopefully we can get a massive crowd in for that one, and hopefully sneak a win that means we still have something to play for in january. (4 wins - 3 home and away to Newport - could be enough for a Challenge Cup QF. The team are certainly capable of it)

Just because it looks fantastic:

Pool 6:

1. Glasgow Warriors 4pts

2. Stade Toulousain 0pts

3. London Wasps 0pts

4. Newport-Gwent Dragons 0pts

:D

(no attendance as yet, but the atmosphere last night was fantastic once again. the ref was scared to come over to the JH stand side by the end!)

• 3 months later...

I think that the Rugby rule on field should be changed.

In the present rule, the length of the field of play is 100m and the length of ingoal is 22m. This is too large.

If the field of play is 85m and ingoal is 10m, the total length is 105m, same as Association Football.

By this change Rugby and Association Footballs can easily share the fields.

I think in football you should be able to run with the ball.

By this change Rugby and Association Footballs can easily become the same game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...