Jags Chief Backs Mccall To Rebuild

Here

looks like Cowan saying theres no point signing player until July, and have a No.2 who can play as well :thumbdown:

Pedantic point but I don't follow the arithmetic of the article.

Ten first team players haven't been released.

Five first team players have been released. Six in total when you add in Scott Tully.

Ryan Conroy has returned to Celtic (not our player to release) and Jonny Tuffey was offered a new contract.

Paddy Boyle and Mark Corcoran although free to find new clubs are still contracted for next season.

It doesn't alter things any but it does irk me. Then again I am well over 24 hours without sleep and not at my best. :P:sleep1:

The fact that the BoD are not leaving aside cash, seperate from the playing budget for an assitant manager is an absolute joke.

Cowan can delude himself all he wants but I'm not buying his constant patronising bullshit. Shame some folk do.

Indeed. It's time for them to have a damn hard look at themselves, realise they are not up to the job and do the decent thing.

Our club is turning into a farce.

Hold up here, is this another chance of BoD bashing? All he said was that MAYBE an assistant manager who can play would be the best option, but it was upto McCall, member him, our manager? Ultimately the budget has been set, McCall has agreed to it, the budget has money for an assistant manager in it but would maybe be at the detriment of the playing squad. If McCall is that good a manager then surely it wouldnt matter who was his number 2?

Hold up here, is this another chance of BoD bashing? All he said was that MAYBE an assistant manager who can play would be the best option, but it was upto McCall, member him, our manager? Ultimately the budget has been set, McCall has agreed to it, the budget has money for an assistant manager in it but would maybe be at the detriment of the playing squad. If McCall is that good a manager then surely it wouldnt matter who was his number 2?

I'll respect your opinion.

For me though, there should always be an assistant manager, no money excuses about it. In an ideal world we would appoint an experienced assistant manager, and not appoint a rookie due to finances. That in itself is outwith our hands as we don't know whos out of a job and who would be interested etc.

Fact remains though, there shouldn't be any excuses not to have an assitant manager, and the fact the BoD came out with not having enough money for one, after getting rid of Irons was pathetic.

Its as if there attitude was:

"ah its february, only two odd months left of the season, why bother?"

Resulting in McCall having a bigger workload and Ian Maxwell taking training. Still like to hear the Club's real reason for ditching Irons.

I seriously doubt that there is any scope to negotiate the amount, other than if we see a massive surge in ticket sales and even then, the funds probably wouldn't be available till January. Once we get to that point it might be a case of 'saving' it for next season rather than 'pushing the boat out' depending on how we're doing

I don't consider this is wise stewardship. The Board should be insisting that McCall employs a hands on assistant manager not giving him the global amount of a budget. Had we no assistant manager for the first half of the season and had one for the second I'd be saying the complete opposite. But that's not the case and there's too many abysmal results since McCall went solo to be more than coincidental.

I'm not really taking a cheap shot at McCall as I believe he's said so much himself re missing an assistant but I just don't believe the decision should be his.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Guest Argus

I'll respect your opinion.

For me though, there should always be an assistant manager, no money excuses about it. In an ideal world we would appoint an experienced assistant manager, and not appoint a rookie due to finances. That in itself is outwith our hands as we don't know whos out of a job and who would be interested etc.

Fact remains though, there shouldn't be any excuses not to have an assitant manager, and the fact the BoD came out with not having enough money for one, after getting rid of Irons was pathetic.

Its as if there attitude was:

"ah its february, only two odd months left of the season, why bother?"

Resulting in McCall having a bigger workload and Ian Maxwell taking training. Still like to hear the Club's real reason for ditching Irons.

Isn't time to get realistic?

In so much that he speaks the truth there is little money.

The BoD fault in this doesn't really matter, it's the postion we are in.

The manager knows that and part of the reason for the falling finances was our failure, this season to put a winning team on the park. He was given the money but couldn't produce.

He must do better this season or if he isn't up to the task he can walk away.

Unless we get more fans through the turnstiles, and the club tried umpteen different ways this season, then the future does not look good.

The man is a ducking fick and the next time I see him at Charing X train station on my way home I am tempted to ***** *** ***** * ****** *****!!!!!!!

Fill in the stars as you please!!!!!

Edited by Lindau

Isn't time to get realistic?

In so much that he speaks the truth there is little money.

The BoD fault in this doesn't really matter, it's the postion we are in.

The manager knows that and part of the reason for the falling finances was our failure, this season to put a winning team on the park. He was given the money but couldn't produce.

He must do better this season or if he isn't up to the task he can walk away.

Unless we get more fans through the turnstiles, and the club tried umpteen different ways this season, then the future does not look good.

The BOD's fault in this does matter part of the reason we failed to put such a winning team on the park last season was their decision to allow players to be signed until late ie most of the main targets had gone and we were left with dross like Jim Hamilton etc. Most importantly the board amde the decision to sell Harkins and Twaddle thus weakening the team signinifcantly by getting rid of Harkins

The BOD's fault in this does matter part of the reason we failed to put such a winning team on the park last season was their decision to allow players to be signed until late ie most of the main targets had gone and we were left with dross like Jim Hamilton etc. Most importantly the board amde the decision to sell Harkins and Twaddle thus weakening the team signinifcantly by getting rid of Harkins

I think Harkins, Twaddle and the boards of Dundee and Falkirk had more to do with these players leaving than our Board. There are areas where our Board are clearly to blame but this is not one of them imo, the money from those deals was huge in Thistle terms and if it wasnt for that we'd be in a worse situation than we are now.

What has the guy said in this article that's soooo wrong? That McCall can build a team capable of winning the league? That other Clubs are in the same position as ourselves? That McCall might decide to use a player/assistant manager to stretch out the playing budget? What else is he meant to say? Some people, and you should know better TL, need to be hit by a dose of reality.

Guest Argus

Here we go again.

You know this for a fact?

You were there when it was discussed and took notes?

McCall has stated very clearly that he AGREED with the decision to sell those two players.

What has the guy said in this article that's soooo wrong? That McCall can build a team capable of winning the league? That other Clubs are in the same position as ourselves? That McCall might decide to use a player/assistant manager to stretch out the playing budget? What else is he meant to say? Some people, and you should know better TL, need to be hit by a dose of reality.

Well said mate

He's still a prick though :happy2:

Yes he probably will if he reads the posts here!

So who would we get to replace MacCall, Calderwood??Alex Smith??!!

Folk need to be careful what they wish for, although that said Roy Hodgeson did say he had one big job left in him and re-building the Jags will be one hell of a job!

Are we talking about another thread here or did you just read what you wanted and responed (un)appropriately?

I can read one poster saying if he doesn't do well this year he can walk away, and I can read me calling him a prick,i'm quite happy with McCall to remain as manager, i've always thought he was a wee prick though.

New forum same old shite

Question for the guy who said about an experienced assistant manager (sorry cant mind who) but why would an experienced AM be needed? McCall isn't a young manager just starting out looking for guidence is he? No therefore surely it makes sense to give a younger guy his first chances in the coaching side if McCall thinks he could make a manager one day. Sorry but I just don't think all this board bashing helps in this instance, yes they have been to blame before, and will be again, but they don't decide who comes in as assistant manager, OR how the MANAGER uses the budget