Looking For A New Computer

twinny

I'm looking for a new laptop this week as my current Fujitsu one is quite literally falling apart. After speaking to a few other people with Fujitsu-Siemens laptops and from my own experience I'm definitely avoiding this brand. I've been recommended by a mate who used to make computers to go with Acer, but does anybody have any other recommendations?

Also, is Windows 7 any good? All their adverts piss me off.

I'll mostly use it for browsing the internet and listening to music really. I'll do work on it, which will only really involve Microsoft Office, at the most, as I use remote access to my PCs at work. I have an external 250GB hard drive though, so I'm not too bothered about RAM.

An external hard drive will have no bearing on your RAM needs....

I've had 4 or 5 Acer laptops in the family in the last 3 years, and they seem decent for light use. Wouldn't recommend them for business, as the hinges have gone in a couple of the early ones, but if you're not overusing it, then I reckon it would be a good choice considering the price.

An external hard drive will have no bearing on your RAM needs....

I've had 4 or 5 Acer laptops in the family in the last 3 years, and they seem decent for light use. Wouldn't recommend them for business, as the hinges have gone in a couple of the early ones, but if you're not overusing it, then I reckon it would be a good choice considering the price.

D'oh, wrote ram, but just meant memory. I know the difference I just don't know why I wrote that...

I'm looking for a new laptop this week as my current Fujitsu one is quite literally falling apart. After speaking to a few other people with Fujitsu-Siemens laptops and from my own experience I'm definitely avoiding this brand. I've been recommended by a mate who used to make computers to go with Acer, but does anybody have any other recommendations?

Also, is Windows 7 any good? All their adverts piss me off.

Its amazing but your right the adverts are pure pish !

try the main companys websites as on dell and sony you can get it built to your spec and sony has a decent HP deals (compared to some i have seen).

i would get win 7 and make sure it is the 64 bit version if you are getting a decent laptop.

what do you want it for?

if you want to play games it could add a fair bit to the price (graphics chips are expensive)

also look at a laptop with around 3GB ram min for win 7 and a hard drive with 7200 speed and as large as you can get.

i have used scan and amazon and had now problems with buying.

Red ones are awesome, but only for female use.

I like Windows 7, been using it in work for about 9 months now, 64 and 32 bit versions. Just need to be a bit careful with driver issues on the 64 bit version, but if it's for home use, you shouldn't see any issues.

Cheers for the advice. I won't be using it to play games. I'm going to try and give some of the companies a call, and Nobody is complaining about Windows 7, though I'd be happy with any Windows operating system to be honest.

Never been too fond of Macs, think it's just that I'm unfamiliar with them but I've always found them more difficult to use.

My advice would be: buy a Windows based lappy then install Linux Mint...... but then I'm a Linux anorak. :)

I've never used Linux, so don't know anything about it really. What are it's benefits and downsides compared with Windows?

I've never used Linux, so don't know anything about it really. What are it's benefits and downsides compared with Windows?

It's free. It's fast. It's stable. You can run your Windows programs on it via Wine Doors. There are hundreds of thousands of free applications, games etc instantly downloadable and it's as easy to use as Windows (if not easier).

It's like Windows without the rip-off.