Do You Support Your Local Team?

twinny

As it says on the tin really.

Reading the thread regarding Aussie teams made me think about this. When I moved to Engerland I found it difficult to find any reason to support the local teams as I have no connection with them at all. I went to see both Forest and County and never really got into it.

I've since started supporting Stoke as my English team, mainly because that's where my girlfriend is from and to give me a reason to care about the Premiership.

So when you moved away from Glasgow/Scotland, did you start following any local team, or like me were you quite apathetic? Any of you who have moved about a few times, do you have clubs you support from each location you have lived?

I spend almost half the year in Japan. When I first went (12 years ago), I went a few times to see the locals, Kyoto Purple Sanga, in the J-League. But I never really got into it (apart from the beer that nice girls would come around and sell to you in your seat). These days, I'll watch them on tv (now called simply Kyoto Sanga), but never bother travelling across the city to see them in the flesh.

Never ever went to see Strasbourg when I lived there; couldn't imagine cheering on a team whose main colour was royal blue.

I watch Zenit on TV but I don't support them as such, they are detested by everyone in the rest of the country who doesn't support them and for valid reasons (moronic supporters, sponsored and financed by the state-owned oil company, etc) so much so that I'm starting to think they are really the OF of Russian football. I switched sports instead and follow SKA St Petersburg (ice hockey). Tickets and beer are cheap and the atmosphere is good.

Moved to Northampton in 1989 and Villa were always my English team. Me and the old man went to see them a few times but we don't really agree on football with him being a H*n. e.g. he told me If the gate was left open Toney Daley would run down the street. ehhh I asked, who exactly was Daniel Prodan?

So now we have a mutual football detest for each other.

I went to watch The Cobblers (Northampton Town) with my nephew for about 5 years until he discovered boys (at the time I thought it was girls) but it's a bit boring going to football on your own. Now I'm quite happy with peer to peer file sharing or watch Thistle (with my Tim nephew) when I'm up the road. I really don't have much really do I?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a season ticket for Suwon Bluewings, my local team in Korea. The atmosphere is fantastic, the standard is a lot higher than most expect, you can drink at the games and 20+ games cost me the equivalent of 50 quid. I've also travelled fairly extensively to see them within Korea and I'm planning a couple of Champions League away days too.

I've also been to a few Suwon City matches, who play a few leagues lower.

Never ever went to see Strasbourg when I lived there; couldn't imagine cheering on a team whose main colour was royal blue.

I spent some time in Strasbourg - went to watch them whenevr I could - great atmosphere at the Meinau. Royal Blue wasn't an issue, after all, they are RC Strasbourg..!

Now in Cologne, but my first year in Germany was 12 years ago near Mainz. I have now been 10 years in Cologne. No way would I support FC Köln. I caught the Mainz 05 bug immediately..!

I spent some time in Strasbourg - went to watch them whenevr I could - great atmosphere at the Meinau. Royal Blue wasn't an issue, after all, they are RC Strasbourg..!

Now in Cologne, but my first year in Germany was 12 years ago near Mainz. I have now been 10 years in Cologne. No way would I support FC Köln. I caught the Mainz 05 bug immediately..!

1. FC Köln are struggling to survive in the top flight. A Japanese international Makino plays for them. I hope to see their survival in the top flight.

1. FC Köln are struggling to survive in the top flight. A Japanese international Makino plays for them. I hope to see their survival in the top flight.

They had a shocking start to the season, but have climbed the table since - I think they'll be ok (despite shipping 6 goals last weekend!). The politics at the club are horrendous, and they have struggled the past few years as a result. The fans still think they are a big club and deserve to win every match... Glad I chose the mighty 1. FSV Mainz 05!!!

This thread reminds me: I have never supported a local team. I was born and raised near Hamburg, now I live in Hamburg, which is home of many football clubs. Most noticeable HSV and FC St. Pauli (both are in the top flight, even though St. Pauli looks like they might get relegated again this season), but I have always been a supporter of FC Bayern München since my early childhood. Pretty strange if you think about it, since Munich is about 800km away from Hamburg. Also, I have never visited a home game yet (as I've said Munich is just too far away).

When I first visited Glasgow I already knew about Rangers and Celtic, but I wasn't too interested in those. I then learned about the ONLY team in Glasgow and started supporting them. I even made it to a home game last year (against Dunfermline, which we lost 2-0 :( ).

Edited by Waka

This thread reminds me: I have never supported a local team. I was born and raised near Hamburg, now I live in Hamburg, which is home of many football clubs. Most noticeable HSV and FC St. Pauli (both are in the top flight, even though St. Pauli looks like they might get relegated again this season), but I have always been a supporter of FC Bayern München since my early childhood. Pretty strange if you think about it, since Munich is about 800km away from Hamburg. Also, I have never visited a home game yet (as I've said Munich is just too far away).

When I first visited Glasgow I already knew about Rangers and Celtic, but I wasn't too interested in those. I then learned about the ONLY team in Glasgow and started supporting them. I even made it to a home game last year (against Dunfermline, which we lost 2-0 :( ).

That's because you're a glory hunter! I always like watching Bayern but I don't support them. I never really picked a German team until I went to see Hertha last September when they beat Arminia Bielefeld 3-1. Great stadium and really nice fans, good win on the day to boot, though you would hope so in the Bundesliga 2.

My Danish team has always been Brondby, even though they have never been my local team and I basically started out a glory hunter, when Brondby dominated the 90s and I remember fondly our ventures in Europe. Especially since the fortunes turned for the worse with turmoil in the boardroom and poor results on the park, but I have always stuck with Brondby even when my friends lost faith and started supporting FC Copenhagen.

Oh and by the way, we need to get Nomads going again...

My Danish team has always been Brondby, even though they have never been my local team and I basically started out a glory hunter, when Brondby dominated the 90s and I remember fondly our ventures in Europe. Especially since the fortunes turned for the worse with turmoil in the boardroom and poor results on the park, but I have always stuck with Brondby even when my friends lost faith and started supporting FC Copenhagen.

Hey DJ, do you mean the show? I'm afraid I'm unable to now for a few reasons, but that doesn't mean any other UK based nomads, or those further afield who use skype aren't able to start it back up. :thumbsup2:

I recently moved to Loughborough in the east midlands six months ago. I have attended Notts County, Notts Forest, Leicester City and Birmingham City games since I have been here. The standard of football is better and I enjoyed some of the games. I am quite sad in that I enjoy visiting different football grounds. However, its not the same without an emotional attachment to a team (i.e. Thistle) playing.

Saying that the Birmingham v Chelsea game I attended was excellent for atmosphere and technical ability of the players (mainly Chelseas) involved. I will be attending the Milwall v Leeds game at the New Den a week on Saturday. Expecting a tasty encounter!

I recently moved to Loughborough in the east midlands six months ago. I have attended Notts County, Notts Forest, Leicester City and Birmingham City games since I have been here. The standard of football is better and I enjoyed some of the games. I am quite sad in that I enjoy visiting different football grounds. However, its not the same without an emotional attachment to a team (i.e. Thistle) playing.

Saying that the Birmingham v Chelsea game I attended was excellent for atmosphere and technical ability of the players (mainly Chelseas) involved. I will be attending the Milwall v Leeds game at the New Den a week on Saturday. Expecting a tasty encounter!

What is Leicester's ground and match experience like? I was going to go a couple of times but it seemed overpriced from what I remember and put me off. Even more so when I thought about going to a Derby game.

What is Leicester's ground and match experience like? I was going to go a couple of times but it seemed overpriced from what I remember and put me off. Even more so when I thought about going to a Derby game.

The Walkers stadium is impressive, however, on the two occasion when I attended I didn't think the fans created a good atmosphere. That even included Svens first game v Hull. As you say tickets wern't cheap, particularly for championship level football. Derby is expensive as you say, put me off going, particularly as they are struggling at the moment.

I would wait till next season to watch Leicester, I reckon they will be challenging for promotion as they will spend in the summer.

Oh and by the way, we need to get Nomads going again...

Yes Brøndby IF. F.C. København is too large name like F.C. London. Brøndby has unicef logo on the chest. Quite nice team.