Do You Support Your Local Team?

twinny

Hey DJ, do you mean the show? I'm afraid I'm unable to now for a few reasons, but that doesn't mean any other UK based nomads, or those further afield who use skype aren't able to start it back up. :thumbsup2:

I mean the Nomads in general. I can't remember when the last newsletter was and there's not the same level of activity as there was earlier. We had the show, meet-ups, newsletter and helped bring far-flung fans together, but it all seems to have faded, sadly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's because you're a glory hunter! I always like watching Bayern but I don't support them. I never really picked a German team until I went to see Hertha last September when they beat Arminia Bielefeld 3-1. Great stadium and really nice fans, good win on the day to boot, though you would hope so in the Bundesliga 2.

It's not my fault that Bayern is so succesful. :P

Calling me a glory hunter is a bith harsh, imo. Also it would be much, MUCH easier for me to support a different team. Would save me from all the abuse I sometimes get, especially from the family of my wife, who are all supporters of St. Pauli.

Did have a season Ticket for Bristol Rovers for a few seasons and still go to about every second home game. Will never be the same as watching the Jags - even the disappointment isn't as good! Now needing to do better than Walsall and Dagenham & Redbridge over the last 3 games to stay up. Also go to see Chippenham Town occasionally in the Zamarretto League Premier Division.

It's not my fault that Bayern is so succesful. :P

Calling me a glory hunter is a bith harsh, imo. Also it would be much, MUCH easier for me to support a different team. Would save me from all the abuse I sometimes get, especially from the family of my wife, who are all supporters of St. Pauli.

If you have to support a team up north try Luebeck or if you wish a Bundesliga team try Hamburg or Bremen, any team but the Pirates. When in Germany, which is nearly every year, I go and see my local team Luebeck. The only down side is they play in the 2nd division North. I have actually been to see St Pauli and I must admit the support is out of this world. But I still miss the jags. If anyone is interested I have an 8mm film, turned into a video and now on dvd, standing on the centre circle of the ground at Firhill that I took back in 1976. Has the shed, terraces behind both goals and the old stand and enclosure. If someone, more savvy than I could tell me how to get it on the net I would gladly put it on here for everyone to see. Perhaps if someone from the Forum whom knew how to do this I would have it up in a minute. Perhaps I should put this request in the Main Forum?

Did have a season Ticket for Bristol Rovers for a few seasons and still go to about every second home game. Will never be the same as watching the Jags - even the disappointment isn't as good! Now needing to do better than Walsall and Dagenham & Redbridge over the last 3 games to stay up. Also go to see Chippenham Town occasionally in the Zamarretto League Premier Division.

I saw Chippenham knock Banbury out of the FA cup this season - they are a good team.

I try to go to an Oxford United game every month and to go to an away game at a ground I haven't been to each season (although I missed that this season). When I first moved here I didn't know any Oxford fans so just tried a few localish teams (Reading, West Brom) just forfun. However I soon fell in with a few good Oxford fans and it has been easy to go along knowing they will be there.

If you have to support a team up north try Luebeck or if you wish a Bundesliga team try Hamburg or Bremen, any team but the Pirates. When in Germany, which is nearly every year, I go and see my local team Luebeck. The only down side is they play in the 2nd division North. I have actually been to see St Pauli and I must admit the support is out of this world. But I still miss the jags. If anyone is interested I have an 8mm film, turned into a video and now on dvd, standing on the centre circle of the ground at Firhill that I took back in 1976. Has the shed, terraces behind both goals and the old stand and enclosure. If someone, more savvy than I could tell me how to get it on the net I would gladly put it on here for everyone to see. Perhaps if someone from the Forum whom knew how to do this I would have it up in a minute. Perhaps I should put this request in the Main Forum?

yes yes yes. you can convert the dvd disc via software on your pc and stick it up on youtube (flv file?). i know how to do it but it takes me ages so i'd stick your post up on the main forum and someone who is a bit more savvy will explain a lot better than i could. i'm sure lots of us would love to see it.

Edited by i@n

• 2 weeks later...

If you have to support a team up north try Luebeck or if you wish a Bundesliga team try Hamburg or Bremen, any team but the Pirates.

I rather support about ANY other team but Bremen. ;)

Also, my best friend supports Hamburg (so does my mom as well), so that's enough Hamburg supporters for me, lol.

I'm thinking of visiting some games from my "district team", which would be the VfL Lohbrügge. They play in the 7th or 8th league and their home pitch is about a 5 minute walk from where I live. But somehow I always have something else to do on a Saturday afternoon. ^^

• 2 months later...

Some really interesting stories on this thread - mention of Korean football and teams like "Partick" Vissel make my own UK travels seem very mundane, but my heart seems to be a bit more open to new teams without feeling unfaithful to my first and truest love!

When I was a student in the North East with the option of watching relatively successful Newcastle and Sunderland sides, but they were a bit full of themselves and I took a perverse pride in following the somewhat downtrodden 'Boro. The team could be iffy, but the fans had a great sense of humour.

Then after I settled down by the Mersey, I had the option of watching pretty darned successful Liverpool and Everton sides, but they were a bit full of themselves and I took a perverse pride in following the very downtrodden Tranmere Rovers. The team could be iffy, but the fans had a great sense of humour.

These days I have a teenage son to share the ups and downs with, and the Nomads to keep me in touch with my roots. Life is good!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...