Macpherson Parts Company With St Mirren

Interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/st_mirren/8675280.stm

Gus MacPherson is parting ways with St Mirren after almost seven years as manager with the Paisley club.

The Buddies avoided relegation to finish this season in 10th place in the Scottish Premier League.

A club statement read: "We would like to thank Mr MacPherson for all his work and the improvement in the club's league standing since his arrival.

"The board feel that the relationship had run its course and that the club requires a change of direction."

Interesting indeed. St Mirren are a team you expect to yo yo between divisions and they are about to enter their 5th season in a row in the SPL under MacPherson. What direction do the board want them to start moving in; because I really doubt it will be any further up the SPL table?

Who are the managers with a better record than Gus McP that would be interested in that job? Must be more to it.

not necessarily a manager with a better record, but they might feel that they are well placed to tempt team adams away from ross at this point in time. their record of overachievement these past couple of seasons isn't too shabby.

Scottish football is sh1t. The same managers keep coming around for each job. Gus to Killie, Jimmy to St Mirren then you get the same crap football in different strips.

Sorry, but I was under the impression that, so far, St. Mirren is the only team that Gus has managed. Given that he yet to be appointed anywhere else, you can't really justify criticising him for being party to a managerial merry-go-round.

We'll probably never know why he has left - my guess would be that he got told what the budget was next season and he has walked out telling them that he can do nothing with the budget on offer.

A St Mirren fan I know was not happy with Gus blowing the biggest budget any St Mirren manager has ever had and not really doing anything in terms of league position or improving the way in which they play, which has been bloody awful and soooooooo boring.

St Mirren will always be a bottom 3 SPL club and that is why they will never vote to allow any play-offs between SPL and 1st Div - self preservation.

I see from tonight's ET that a director has also quit the club - maybe he and Gus are starting a business together or are eloping.

We'll probably never know why he has left - my guess would be that he got told what the budget was next season and he has walked out telling them that he can do nothing with the budget on offer.

A St Mirren fan I know was not happy with Gus blowing the biggest budget any St Mirren manager has ever had and not really doing anything in terms of league position or improving the way in which they play, which has been bloody awful and soooooooo boring.

St Mirren will always be a bottom 3 SPL club and that is why they will never vote to allow any play-offs between SPL and 1st Div - self preservation.

I see from tonight's ET that a director has also quit the club - maybe he and Gus are starting a business together or are eloping.

It is always easy to comment looking from the outside but the fact that Gus wasn't universally popular with the St Mirren fans is, to me, baffling.

I know that any Thistle manager that gets us to the SPL and keeps us there for the length of time that MacPherson did would be having statues erected in his honour.

According to my mate, it was the style of football that put a lot of fans against him - it seemed to be ultra defensive - and the players he brought in with the money he was given did not really excite the fans.

I reckon there is a touch of unrealistic expectations in Paisley - and that is not exclusive to St Mirren fans.

The Paisley club will likely be sold in the coming weeks, the rumour is.

The resignation of the director, as well as Gus, could conceivably be part of the 'clearing of the decks' (possibly even part of the conditions to be met to ensure the deal goes through) before the new owners come in, and thus allowing them to appoint their own manager, it would.

Im hoping McCall is staying put with us :thumbsup2: . We have no money, one of our best hopes is the youth system that he has created, has stabilised us in the first divison and potentially we can be challengers as before he took over we were almost bordering on a second divison team. Far worse Managers we could have had over the last third years.

third years = 4 months, if I'm not mistaken. It's the period of time used to measure how long the average Man City manager survives in the job.

I'm surprised at Gus 'leaving' this job, but maybe he's taken an educated guess at where they'll be next season, his likelihood of getting the sack, and the chances of getting another job after being involved in their relegation....?

It is always easy to comment looking from the outside but the fact that Gus wasn't universally popular with the St Mirren fans is, to me, baffling.

I know that any Thistle manager that gets us to the SPL and keeps us there for the length of time that MacPherson did would be having statues erected in his honour.

Not true Bertie 1st time around was pretty unpopular because of the defensive football he played , It was only after he left did people start to appreciate what we had

Not true Bertie 1st time around was pretty unpopular because of the defensive football he played , It was only after he left did people start to appreciate what we had

Not sure what evidence there is for that ... apart from guys you talked to and you could talk to different guys and get a different opinion. Lambie was always unpopular with some guys because of the style of football we played under him at times. Every manager/player is unpopular with some fans to some degree.

Auld made us hard to beat, Lambie made us hard to beat in some ways similar style managers with similar style teams. (Apart from the 1st division winning team under Auld, that was different).

I also get annoyed with all the guys (usually fans of other teams) who go on about how defensive we were under Auld. At the period he managed us, almost every team outside the Old Firm and Aberdeen - then a good team, anyone remember these days? - came to Firhill and defended, hitting on the break. It wasn't because we were that brilliant it was just the way your average team played then.

Edited by Mr Bunny