Boozers Of Yesteryear

Chicofan

Was talking to my mate today about boozers we used to frequent that are no longer there or still there but not the same name etc?

With the amount closing..49 a month in the u.k i read somewhere..thought was decent topic for a thread.

A couple we were talking about today..The Blob Shop at the top of Sauchiehall Street..had many a few jars in there at 16 years old..sure it was 75p a pint :)

Another one we were debating which is long gone..Memories Bar..near where the volcano used to be..think its flats now....sure it was a H*n shop right enough..but we used to nip in there on a friday after work for a cheap pint and a good jukey :)

So folks any others you would like share?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was talking to my mate today about boozers we used to frequent that are no longer there or still there but not the same name etc?

With the amount closing..49 a month in the u.k i read somewhere..thought was decent topic for a thread.

A couple we were talking about today..The Blob Shop at the top of Sauchiehall Street..had many a few jars in there at 16 years old..sure it was 75p a pint :)

Another one we were debating which is long gone..Memories Bar..near where the volcano used to be..think its flats now....sure it was a H*n shop right enough..but we used to nip in there on a friday after work for a cheap pint and a good jukey :)

I met the girl I was t marry in the Blob Shop. Awful place, but I spent a pretty alcoholic summer in there - the memories are a bit...vague. Wypers on Renfield Street was an old favourite of mine - had an eclectic enough jukebox and you got served pints of Diesel aged 14. They even opened up the back doors for you when the Polis made one of their frequent visits.

Have to list the 16 year old drinking dens of a misspent youth... how about Sylvesters (on Ingram Street) or Brookes (down beside the Mitchell Library and the Bon Accord) ... got asked once for my age in Sylvesters - when I was just 16 - and told him I was twenty fkin eight ... never got hassled again! :thumbsup2:

I hear on the grapevine that theres a dump on King Street near the car park that will sell to you just now if they can't see a nappy/dummy!

Ahh the Memories.I ended up in there one afternoon with my 1st wife at the time, after having been on a small tour of Byres Rd. She tried keep up pint for pint with me (schoolboy error), I then won tokens on the puggy so had to drink some more. By this time she was absolutely hammered and had to pour her into a taxi back home, which was only in Gt George St. (behind Curlers). She was tucked up in bed for 5 and I was out with the boys for about quarter past.

I vaguely remember being smuggled into The Muscular Arms (now Pizza Hut), by Blackpool Jag the night of the Scottish Cup semi against the h*ns.

I regret not going into The Comet.

The early eighties had some cracking pubs, The Videodrome, Sylvesters, Maxwell Plums, Devils Advocate, Carnegies Underground, Fouquets, Archies. Maryhill had The Barracks with The Roxy next door.

Byres Rd. is sh!te now due to the lack of pubs. Studio One, Wilsons, Bonhams, Rubiat(sp), Chancellor, Parallel Bars all gone and Ashton Lane is too Wanky.

I really miss the Solid West where yon Gallus is now (formerly Reid's of Pertick which I miss as well). Wyper's was a great pub but a bit dangerous. Me and a mate were there one night and a couple of Bikers were being a bit aggresive but us goths just humoured them, but the wee punk that we were drinking with appeared at the Tech later with his head split open by the said goons. Another night the bikers nicked a wee goth's sun glasses and woudn't give them back, so the wee guy took his studded belt off and smashed up the the guy's motorbike and ran, ran, far far away. Happy days!

Archie Wilsons N0-1,The Red parrot,The Horse Shoe Bar,Lauders,The Vale. I can vividly remember every Thursday after work, if you were out of a job especially in the Heating & Ventilating game you could snare a job in any of the above pubs, as that is where most of that workforce went furra bevvie before going home to the wife and weans! :thumbsup2:

The Devils Elbow beside Queen St station used to be a good pub to bunk off college to in my youth,video jukeboxes were all the rage then,class.A pub called Midas below where Budda is also used to be a good one,a bloke that looked like Billy Thomson served behide bar.Kept waiting to see if he would drop a pint to verify it was him.

Memories Bar

Old Glasgow Pubs

:thumbsup2:

Bar Zoo (which became Solid West) and The Exchequer at the bottom of Church Street were pubs that I liked back in my student days, Byers Road needs more pubs like them again.

Lowdown on Bath Street was a really nice pub, can't remember which one it is now.

The Canal in Anniesland did a mean pint and cracking food when it had the microbrewery, shame to see it rotting away now.

• Members

Continuing the 80's pub vibe.... Century 54 and Targets in town and then Maxwells in Shawlands were always favourites after playing football on a Saturday afternoon.

The Muscular Arms (Muskies?) also rings a bell but I cant quite remember where it was?

My local however, was mainly the Dalriada or the Phoenix over in the East End.

The Muscular Arms (Muskies?) also rings a bell but I cant quite remember where it was?

Corner of West Nile Street and West George Street. The ground floor is now a Pizza Hut.

I was a regular in here from 1974 until 1983 or thereabouts. It had been part of Frank Lynch's Unicorn Leisure Group but was sold on to some "local businessmen" by the name of Thompson. Yes, that Thompson family!!

Also worked as a disc jockey in there for a couple of years as well. It's amazing how much more attractive you became to young ladies as a consequence. As if my good looks and natural wit and charm wasn't enough :-)

Edited by Allan Heron

• Members

Corner of West Nile Street and West George Street. The ground floor is now a Pizza Hut.

Thanks Allan, I know where it was now. I had totally forgotten that was a pub.

However on a more worrying note, I googled the Muscular Arms and came up with a thread on the Hidden Glasgow Forums about gay pubs in Glasgow!!! What was that about good looks, natural wit and charm??? :o It seems those ladies might actually have been laddies!!! :D

Bar Zoo (which became Solid West) and The Exchequer at the bottom of Church Street were pubs that I liked back in my student days, Byers Road needs more pubs like them again.

Lowdown on Bath Street was a really nice pub, can't remember which one it is now.

The Canal in Anniesland did a mean pint and cracking food when it had the microbrewery, shame to see it rotting away now.

Bar Zoo will always be in my heart, a home from home for 4th, 5th and 6th yr of school. The back bar was lucky if it averaged 17 on a Friday and Saturday.

The exchequer and latterly the clinic were strange but cheap.

Used to work in Lowdown, full of cougars. Now the horror show that is Kushion.

Assuming you mean the hole on Bilslands then I drank here, me and a mate before a night out. Expected it to be like a western but apart from a few odd looks it was alright.

The Redan was another interesting place that i'd stopped by for a drink in the past, sadly nae longer there.

My favourite boozers of yesteryear were probably George Best and Winston Churchill.

Not forgetting, of course, the legendary Irish poet, Brendan Behan, who, when asked about his own fondness for a drink, wistfully remarked: "I only take a drink on two occasions - when I'm thirsty and when I'm not."

Thanks Allan, I know where it was now. I had totally forgotten that was a pub.

However on a more worrying note, I googled the Muscular Arms and came up with a thread on the Hidden Glasgow Forums about gay pubs in Glasgow!!! What was that about good looks, natural wit and charm??? :o It seems those ladies might actually have been laddies!!! :D

I think that was much more by reputation than reality. This was the first pub in Glasgow that operated a door policy and it was quite tougn to get in during the initial years. This was clearly offensive to Glasgow maledom so if you managed to get through the doors you were either gay or a poseur, and probably both. The door policy was still present when I started going but it was more the norm for many of the pubs in the town centre. The reputation for being difficult to get in remained though and we used to approach it with trepidation most nights despite the fact that we were entrenched regulars by then.

I'm sure there would have been a gay element to the regular crowd but it certainly wasn't dominant or, indeed, at all apparent to me at the time.

And I can confirm by means of close and repeated forensic examination that these were most definitely ladies :-)

My first job in Glasgow when i was 17 was in a small cafe on Gordon Street called Caffe Roberta. Me and my fellow 'baristas' would usually spend our hard earned minimum wage in The Corn Exchange next door before moving onto Underworld on Union Street to get our passes for The Garage. If there wasn't any Garage passes we'd have to slum it in Fouquets. A good night out wouldn't be complete without a deep fried pizza slice in V10. Class...

Ahh the Memories.I ended up in there one afternoon with my 1st wife at the time, after having been on a small tour of Byres Rd. She tried keep up pint for pint with me (schoolboy error), I then won tokens on the puggy so had to drink some more. By this time she was absolutely hammered and had to pour her into a taxi back home, which was only in Gt George St. (behind Curlers). She was tucked up in bed for 5 and I was out with the boys for about quarter past.

I vaguely remember being smuggled into The Muscular Arms (now Pizza Hut), by Blackpool Jag the night of the Scottish Cup semi against the h*ns.

The early eighties had some cracking pubs, The Videodrome, Sylvesters, Maxwell Plums, Devils Advocate, Carnegies Underground, Fouquets, Archies. Maryhill had The Barracks with The Roxy next door.

Byres Rd. is sh!te now due to the lack of pubs. Studio One, Wilsons, Bonhams, Rubiat(sp), Chancellor, Parallel Bars all gone and Ashton Lane is too Wanky.

You didnt miss anything with the comet. was rough as **** and if your face wasn't recognised they sold you slops, which were always likely to give you the trumpeters lips. The pub i always remember from when i was a wee guy was the Spring Inn, which used to be just across the road fae mcdonald's in springburn. IT's now a tyre centre. My granny used to always send me down to get my grandad when i was about 5, who in his retirement became a raving jake. It was a magical place to me fulla of all sorts of strange creatures, such as the guy who had a big hole in his face where he had been shot with a shotgun and the two sisters whos faces were covered in chibs. Had a rep as being rough as fcuk but anytime i went in dudes always gave me sweeties and juice (without any sense of paedophilia) n made a big thing of me going in so i loved the place. Always wanted to go down when i was 18 for a pint see if any of the old faces were about but it was gione by the time i was 18. Probably lucky though. they probs wouldnt have remembered me and probably chibbed me up. Edited by Gimp