Boozers Of Yesteryear

Chicofan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was talking to my mate today about boozers we used to frequent that are no longer there or still there but not the same name etc?

With the amount closing..49 a month in the u.k i read somewhere..thought was decent topic for a thread.

A couple we were talking about today..The Blob Shop at the top of Sauchiehall Street..had many a few jars in there at 16 years old..sure it was 75p a pint :)

Another one we were debating which is long gone..Memories Bar..near where the volcano used to be..think its flats now....sure it was a H*n shop right enough..but we used to nip in there on a friday after work for a cheap pint and a good jukey :)

So folks any others you would like share?

I remember drinking in the blob shop when i was 16. On a friday night we used to start in the Exchequer on dumbarton road, then go over to bar zoo, then stagger up to bar oz. Did this for years, can't remember why we missed all the other pubs on the way up to bar oz, must have been cheap drink there!

Good thread! Stirred a few memories. My underage drinking was done in Byres Road, in one of two pubs. One was the Aragon, and the other was across the road, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. All I can remember was that the decor, for want of a better expression, was predominantly red. Anyone help my ailing memory? I'm talking late 70's here.

Good thread! Stirred a few memories. My underage drinking was done in Byres Road, in one of two pubs. One was the Aragon, and the other was across the road, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. All I can remember was that the decor, for want of a better expression, was predominantly red. Anyone help my ailing memory? I'm talking late 70's here.

The Byre which became The Kebab Inn and has had any number of names since?

Sure that was the Rubaiyat, Allan, later to become Findlay's before reverting back to the Rubaiyat. No idea what it's called these days, if it's still there.

Sure that was the Rubaiyat, Allan, later to become Findlay's before reverting back to the Rubaiyat. No idea what it's called these days, if it's still there.

Yep, Rubaiyat for sure. They've meddled with it again, called Oscar's now.

The ruby is now a w*nky wine bar...and its about £4.50 a pint..stoated in for a jar with a couple of mates about 6 weeks ago..think its called otto maybe??? anyway didnt even have a pint received that many tut tut looks..that we decided to hit curlers which in itself has tried to go all upmarket..to be fair it is better than that yellow screaming pub it used to be but still a far cry from its ttraditional roots of the 90s..i remember Jock Tamson's bairns up the stair.....had many an underage pint in there also ;)

that we decided to hit curlers which in itself has tried to go all upmarket..to be fair it is better than that yellow screaming pub it used to be but still a far cry from its ttraditional roots of the 90s..i remember Jock Tamson's bairns up the stair.....had many an underage pint in there also ;)

Curlers lost its' soul when they opened it up inside. Spent many a night in there and it was good to be able move from area to area.

Spent many an hour in there watching the Khyber Trifles with the father of a couple of forum regulars!!

Wondered if that had been the case, but I have a recollection of the Kebab Inn being pretty red as well.

Another place with many an hour spent!! Actually, make that many an evening/weekend :lol:

I'm sure there would have been a gay element to the regular crowd but it certainly wasn't dominant or, indeed, at all apparent to me at the time.

the same was supposedly true of places like the rock garden and hurricanes (basement in bath street) in the early 80's. i'm guessing that most regulars didn't consider the clash/rockabilly look - quiff or flattop, check shirt, jeans turned up at the bottom - to be even remotely gay.

other places frequented around that time included the brahms & lizst, downstairs across from the old odeon. nice place to take a lady - they sold wine and foreign beer. the griffin of old, with the goldfsh bowl in the corner. dukes bar on old dumbarton road.

Spot on! It was known as both simultaneously for a while. Thanks for that. Why it was called the Kebab is another mystery. Don't think you could even get a pie there. The Rubyiat was a few doors down, on the corner.

Bar Zoo will always be in my heart, a home from home for 4th, 5th and 6th yr of school. The back bar was lucky if it averaged 17 on a Friday and Saturday.

The exchequer and latterly the clinic were strange but cheap.

You must be about the same age as me...Spent quite a few Fridays and Saturdays in that place! No idea why the underagers were tolerated... :lol: :lol:

Bar 82, which used to sit on a bit of wasteground where the Buchanan Galleries is now, was a favourite haunt on budget-conscious day-trips to Glasgow when I was a student. You always seemed to spend most of your time shaking your head in wonderment at just how little it cost for a round (and the rest of your time trying not to fall into conversation with some of the more dilapidated clientele).

:lol:

This thread has just reminded of my earlier years in Springburn.

At the end of Keppochhill Road (the other side of the Springburn Road junction but can't recall the name of the street) there was a bar called the Kerry Inn.

The off license was called the Kerry Oot :P

different end of my end, we're wearing different gang colours punk lool

Worked in the Anderston Centre during the 80s & 90s,

so the works' local was the delightful Pot Black.

Had some great nights in there (and one or two

dodgy ones).

The others I can recall in that airt were the Coach,

the Kendal, the Chiltern Hundreds and the Admiral.

All lovely, elegant spots for a sophisticated swally.

the same was supposedly true of places like the rock garden and hurricanes (basement in bath street) in the early 80's. i'm guessing that most regulars didn't consider the clash/rockabilly look - quiff or flattop, check shirt, jeans turned up at the bottom - to be even remotely gay.

other places frequented around that time included the brahms & lizst, downstairs across from the old odeon. nice place to take a lady - they sold wine and foreign beer. the griffin of old, with the goldfsh bowl in the corner. dukes bar on old dumbarton road.

Ah what a boozer..that brings back some happy memories..my mate fell asleep in the cludgy in there one xmas eve..used to be a good quiz on a sunday iirc

The Brahms and Blitzed :D

I remember drinking in the blob shop when i was 16. On a friday night we used to start in the Exchequer on dumbarton road, then go over to bar zoo, then stagger up to bar oz. Did this for years, can't remember why we missed all the other pubs on the way up to bar oz, must have been cheap drink there!

Bar Oz was a brilliant pub, spent every Friday in my first year at uni necking jugs of lager in there before going to the GU. It was good for starting a night out, good for something to eat, good for watching the football and good for a game of pool.

Why did it shut down?

Bar Oz was a brilliant pub, spent every Friday in my first year at uni necking jugs of lager in there before going to the GU. It was good for starting a night out, good for something to eat, good for watching the football and good for a game of pool.

Why did it shut down?

Yeah bar oz was good. I remember watching the scotland vs england play off 1st leg in there, the place was totally rammed and there was a guy sleeping in the wheelchair lift! totally steaming, even the bouncers just left him. Used to go in there before jags games as well. Not sure why it shut but it was starting to look a bit run down before it changed to coopers.

Anyone on here used to go to The Rooftops on Sauchiehall Street? It then became known as Moon, which after some research online gathered quite a reputation for itself.

I always wanted to know where The Rooftops was exactly, because as a massive Stone Roses fan they played there, in June 1989 and was I curious to know what the venue looked like.

Seeing the Roses in the top floor of a building in the City Centre always seemed like a hidden gig.

Anyone on here used to go to The Rooftops on Sauchiehall Street? It then became known as Moon, which after some research online gathered quite a reputation for itself.

I always wanted to know where The Rooftops was exactly, because as a massive Stone Roses fan they played there, in June 1989 and was I curious to know what the venue looked like.

Seeing the Roses in the top floor of a building in the City Centre always seemed like a hidden gig.

92 Sauchiehall Street

Also Nightmoves

Colm..i frequented rooftops or roofies as we called it!! to my eternal shame for a few months back in 1999....actually a crackin venue with a balcony right round the top and a dance floor below with a stage kinda area also.....you could stand up on the balcony and bsically have ringside seats for all the scrapping on the dance floor!! many a bottle/glass was also lobbed off the balcony whcih made it a rather dangerous dancin...was one of the worst clubs in glasgow for trouble and neds!!

Is it still open?

Yeah, I'd found these whilst on my hunt about the venue a while back but thanks for posting it anyway. I had only known the venue as Rooftops and Moon, must of missed the Nightmoves link on wikipedia.

In fact as you mentioned Nightmoves my friend, who I had been discussing this topic earlier sent me this link. (don't know the band myself) MAJOR ACCIDENT - Live At The Night Moves, Glasgow, Scotland, 1983

He had obviously thought to type in the venue name into youtube. I get (obviously) a better idea and visual of what the place was like. Looked a great venue.

To top it off I actually managed to download the Roses bootleg of the gig in question from the Rooftops. So I'm a very happy man, after hunting years for it. :D

Colm..i frequented rooftops or roofies as we called it!! to my eternal shame for a few months back in 1999....actually a crackin venue with a balcony right round the top and a dance floor below with a stage kinda area also.....you could stand up on the balcony and bsically have ringside seats for all the scrapping on the dance floor!! many a bottle/glass was also lobbed off the balcony whcih made it a rather dangerous dancin...was one of the worst clubs in glasgow for trouble and neds!!

Is it still open?

Haha, jeez oh. This was the sort of stuff I had read online, on an old Glasgow club review website. The bouncers seemed to have a reputation too. They would let in the neds, as young as 14 in free of charge but anyone outside of that clientele, say more up market folk were charged a tenner on the door!! Crazy.

It's now a Chinese restaurant, not sure when it was shut down. Looks like another old school music venue lost forever.

You can see those balconies on the link above Neil. What a gig that would have been. The recording is good aswell! :D

Edited by northernsoul