Who's Next?

Steven H

Have heard some good suggestions, and some which have made me shudder.

For me it would be Maitland (good job outside of football tho, so unlikely), Moore (would he leave Morton for the Jags?) and wouldn't mind Jackie gettin it permanently if he gets good results between now and the end of the season.

Shuddery ones, Grady, McPherson, Duffy and Chisholm.

Who do you want, and why?

Edited by Steven H

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have heard some good suggestions, and some which have made me shudder.

For me it would be Maitland (good job outside of football tho, so unlikely), Moore (would he leave Morton for the Jags?) and wouldn't mind Jackie gettin it permanently if he gets good results between now and the end of the season.

Shuddery ones, Grady, McPherson, Duffy and Chisholm.

Who do you want, and why?

Add Mark McGhee, John Hughes and (possibly) Jimmy Calderwood to your list.

If McNamara can deliver good attacking football and above average points over the next fews, I would give him a contract for next season.

One name to consider is Jim Weir who has done a terrific job at Brechin. He has turned Rory McAllister's career around.

Who should take over depends a lot on the reasons why McCall left, frankly.

If his reasons are to do with next seasons budget Im not wearing it...he always knew what he was up against, and why now?

If they are to do with personal issues such as ill-health (for him or a family member) then that's sad and unfortunate, but wouldn't impact on his replacement. If it's to take up another position (Killie for example), it too will not impact on his replacement.

We aint goin part-time, not completely anyway, so I can't see that being an issue either.

If his reasons are to do with next seasons budget Im not wearing it...he always knew what he was up against, and why now?

If they are to do with personal issues such as ill-health (for him or a family member) then that's sad and unfortunate, but wouldn't impact on his replacement. If it's to take up another position (Killie for example), it too will not impact on his replacement.

We aint goin part-time, not completely anyway, so I can't see that being an issue either.

Duffy & Charnley. Doing a great job at Clyde.

Add Mark McGhee, John Hughes and (possibly) Jimmy Calderwood to your list.

If McNamara can deliver good attacking football and above average points over the next fews, I would give him a contract for next season.

One name to consider is Jim Weir who has done a terrific job at Brechin. He has turned Rory McAllister's career around.

Two points.

We are leaking money and you reckon leeches like Mark McGhee and Jimmy Calderwood are going to be interested in working under the conditions that have, in all likelihood, led to McCall leaving?

Secondly, Jim Weir hasn't "turned Rory McAllister's career around". If anyone did, it was Jim Duffy.

Agreed. The new contracts that have been signed in the last couple of months are full-time.

Gardner spiers For me. We went backwards when he left. Then you'll have the usual suspects. Chis, gus, duff, would anyone take yogi?

I like big Hughes, he's a genuine guy and listening to him always makes me smile (he can talk some amount of shite sometimes tho lol). He likes his teams to play football the way it should be played and wouldn't be too disppointed to see him in charge, maybe wi Jackie MacNamara as assistant.

Gardner spiers For me. We went backwards when he left. Then you'll have the usual suspects. Chis, gus, duff, would anyone take yogi?

Would love Yogi - but can you see his style of football on our pitch? It has to be someone who's brave enough to use youngsters.

Two points.

We are leaking money and you reckon leeches like Mark McGhee and Jimmy Calderwood are going to be interested in working under the conditions that have, in all likelihood, led to McCall leaving?

Secondly, Jim Weir hasn't "turned Rory McAllister's career around". If anyone did, it was Jim Duffy.

Fair points but managers like to work. I will add McStay to the shuddery list.

As long as it isn't Duffy & Charnley I'm not fussed.

Gardner Spiers would be a cheap option and he seemed to be well respected when he was here before.

Jimmy Nicholl has done a decent enough job at Cowdenbeath as well.

Happy for Jackie to stake his claim though, always had a lot of time for him. If we get beat tomorrow though he can f*ck off! :P

I think some of us need a reality check. There's not a hope in hell that people like Calderwood, Hughes, McGhee, etc. are going to be interested in working under our constraints. We are a run-of-the-mill First Division club who are financially crippled. Even trying to pluck a lower-league manager is going to cost us money we can ill-afford.

There has been a recent trend of teams appointing a caretaker manager, getting excited by the fact he's won a couple of games and then offer them a permanent contract. It very rarely works; the only two I can think of are Brian McDermott at Reading and Paul Martin at Albion Rovers (who has done a decent job there, by the way).

I hope that, irrelevant of how well Jackie does, we advertise the job.

My choice, if he was interested, would be Stevie Frail, who is currently doing youth coaching at Celtic.

Edited by Armand2

I think some of us need a reality check. There's not a hope in hell that people like Calderwood, Hughes, McGhee, etc. are going to be interested in working under our constraints. We are a run-of-the-mill First Division club who are financially crippled. Even trying to pluck a lower-league manager is going to cost us money we can ill-afford.

There has been a recent trend of teams appointing a caretaker manager, getting excited by the fact he's won a couple of games and then offer them a permanent contract. It very rarely works; the only two I can think of are Brian McDermott at Reading and Paul Martin at Albion Rovers (who has done a decent job there, by the way).

I hope that, irrelevant of how well Jackie does, we advertise the job.

My choice, if he was interested, would be Stevie Frail, who is currently doing youth coaching at Celtic.

Spot on, I cant imagine enticing these guys. Our leverage will be the fact we're full-time. Hopefully on that basis aany P/T manager in Scotland would at least consider us.

I don't think anyone was suggesting Hughes would take the job. It was more a discussion on the merits of him as manager, but this job is better than no job. I agree, it's very long odds that we'll get a Hughes or Calderwood (wouldn't want him anyway) and we're more likely to either keep Jackie on or bring in a Jimmy Nichol type...although the Alan Moore suggestion is one that keeps growing on me, maybe he'd see us as a better option than Morton :unknw:

Edited by Steven H

I don't think anyone was suggesting Hughes would take the job. It was more a discussion on the merits of him as manager, but this job is better than no job. I agree, it's very long odds that we'll get a Hughes or Calderwood (wouldn't want him anyway) and we're more likely to either keep Jackie on or bring in a Jimmy Nichol type...although the Alan Moore suggestion is one that keeps growing on me, maybe he'd see us as a better option than Morton :unknw:

At Morton he knows sugardaddy Rae will throw money at him, with us he must realise he is dealing with a peeny pinching, budget slashing group of directors

I thought of him too but did not dare post his name! :)

I will add Alan Irvine - from Bishopbriggs and out of work.

If we are looking at rookie Managers I guess we could do a lot worse than the Pat Clarke/Damon Gray partnership :lol:

In all seriousness if Jackie looks to be doing well I'd be more than happy for the board to give him an extended contract :thumbsup2:

There are a lot of managers (Hughes, Calderwood etc) who seem out of our reach - but they must be wondering where their next job will come from too. There aren't many clubs about in Scotland with bigger budgets than Thistle that they could attract attention from. And unless they convince a lower league English chairman, they may not have much choice.