Just In...

Ok, I was actually in ages ago but I think a second half of that quality deserves a proper "Just in" thread.

I really enjoyed the game today - thought the first half was low-key but with enough moments of quality to keep it enjoyable. Highlights of the match were Doolan's header on the ground, McGurn's ball juggling, and Erskine's dribble in the first half where he skinned a few, lost control with a shocking touch, then got the ball and skinned another few - typical Erskine.

Player by player:

Scully: seemed quite nervous - got lucky with his bad kick and with misjudging the header in the first half. Had almost nothing to do otherwise. Still, the experience will do him good and it's a clean sheet.

Campbell: was struggling defensively a little in the first half and wasn't playing right back particularly well positionally, but he stuck in and had a much better second half. Very good going forward. A very good prospect.

Balatoni: solid defensively and very good at bringing the ball out from the back too - composed and had a few good runs.

Archie: excellent no-nonsense performance. Totally solid defensively and quite vocal. Really good game.

Boyle: tracked back excellently at times, putting in some great effort. Good going forward too and always keen to support. Will miss him next season.

Cairney: got stuck in well, especially in the first half, and always showed for the ball. Was played into trouble by Campbell a few times. Really industrious in the middle throughout.

Rowson: outstanding performance - worked his socks off, closing down and using the ball well when he got it. Excellent 40 yars cross field pass in the first half. And what a strike...

Erskine: some moments of genius in the first half but quite a quiet game. Really pleased with how much he's improved this season though - will be a big player next season.

Flannigan: another who had a good game and did the dirty stuff well too. Composed on the ball although was a little disappointed with his free kicks.

Stewart: wasn't all that impressed to be honest - thought he was pushed off the ball too easily. Great goal though albeit he's very one-footed - always looking to shift it onto his left. Would be reasonably happy to see him here next year though - good to have a player keen to have a (good) shot from distance.

Doolan: happy he got the goal and had another good shift. Really is a good all-round footballer. And to think he's only really come onto a game in the latter part of this season - very happy we have him signed up.

Lochhead: did alright when he came on but didn't impose himself much. Wonder if Jackie rates him higher that McCall and whether we might see him stay for next season after all.

Burns: busy but didn't really get on the ball much. Needs a good pre-season.

Fraser: can claim an assist for Rowser by falling over instead of scoring the easy initial chance and then hitting the post. Well done son.

Confident of next season assuming Jackie is in charge - nice and positive for the future!

Ok, I was actually in ages ago but I think a second half of that quality deserves a proper "Just in" thread.

I really enjoyed the game today - thought the first half was low-key but with enough moments of quality to keep it enjoyable. Highlights of the match were Doolan's header on the ground, McGurn's ball juggling, and Erskine's dribble in the first half where he skinned a few, lost control with a shocking touch, then got the ball and skinned another few - typical Erskine.

Player by player:

Scully: seemed quite nervous - got lucky with his bad kick and with misjudging the header in the first half. Had almost nothing to do otherwise. Still, the experience will do him good and it's a clean sheet.

Campbell: was struggling defensively a little in the first half and wasn't playing right back particularly well positionally, but he stuck in and had a much better second half. Very good going forward. A very good prospect.

Balatoni: solid defensively and very good at bringing the ball out from the back too - composed and had a few good runs.

Archie: excellent no-nonsense performance. Totally solid defensively and quite vocal. Really good game.

Boyle: tracked back excellently at times, putting in some great effort. Good going forward too and always keen to support. Will miss him next season.

Cairney: got stuck in well, especially in the first half, and always showed for the ball. Was played into trouble by Campbell a few times. Really industrious in the middle throughout.

Rowson: outstanding performance - worked his socks off, closing down and using the ball well when he got it. Excellent 40 yars cross field pass in the first half. And what a strike...

Erskine: some moments of genius in the first half but quite a quiet game. Really pleased with how much he's improved this season though - will be a big player next season.

Flannigan: another who had a good game and did the dirty stuff well too. Composed on the ball although was a little disappointed with his free kicks.

Stewart: wasn't all that impressed to be honest - thought he was pushed off the ball too easily. Great goal though albeit he's very one-footed - always looking to shift it onto his left. Would be reasonably happy to see him here next year though - good to have a player keen to have a (good) shot from distance.

Doolan: happy he got the goal and had another good shift. Really is a good all-round footballer. And to think he's only really come onto a game in the latter part of this season - very happy we have him signed up.

Lochhead: did alright when he came on but didn't impose himself much. Wonder if Jackie rates him higher that McCall and whether we might see him stay for next season after all.

Fraser: can claim an assist for Rowser by falling over instead of scoring the easy initial chance and then hitting the post. Well done son.

Confident of next season assuming Jackie is in charge - nice and positive for the future!

Decent summary. I thought Balatoni had his best game yet.

Stewart can stay too.

Great second half - don't think they had a real chance at goal.

BUT!!!!!!! The best thing no-one of can ever escape from today's game was Rowson's goal - that was more thistle than anything I've ever seen. We must only talk about that from now on in.

Love that guy

Edited by daxington preamble

Great second half - don't think they had a real chance at goal.

BUT!!!!!!! The best thing no-one of can ever escape from today's game was Rowson's goal - that was more thistle than anything I've ever seen. We must only talk about that from now on in.

Love that guy

/quote]

Think thats the goal we have all been waiting for

I am glad someone started a "just in" thread as I like reading them and I didn't see one last night. For an 'end of season nothing at stake' game this was quite good. Mediocre pundit has done a great job in summing up each individual player's performance. It has not been a great season. After losing consecutive games to Stirling and Cowdenbeath and going bottom things looked bad but McCall did manage to turn things around. Finishing 5th was OK and by the end we felt that we were as good as Dunfermline, Raith and Falkirk - none of them got the better of us in the league over the whole season. It is nice to remeber the last touch of the ball by a jags player this season was Rowson's screamer. Good to see the warm applause to the team at the end and it being reciprocated.

One other aspect I am glad about is the fact that the Dundee cheats cannot claim any kind of weird moral victory in the league. For ages it looked as if they could be on top of the league but for their points deduction. But in the end Dunfermline won the league on their own merit finishing 26 points above Dundee.

Next season it would be good to be up there challenging for top positions and it's about time we won the Challenge Cup.

Shaky first half,very good second half performance. Impressed by all the youngsters,they all look physically very strong.

Liked Stewart also,his different style gives us options and well done to Dools for his goal scoring record this season.

Rowser's goal was such an emotional moment, well done to the guy ,has never,ever given less than 100%.Wanted to go and hug the guy.

Brilliant also that it happened minutes after the crowd were singing "give the ball to Rowser" at the penalty.

Strange end to the day as well with the players looking as if they didnt want to leave the pitch after the whistle went.

Excellent End of season beer and Curry with ma Thistle mates aftermatch also

I am glad someone started a "just in" thread as I like reading them and I didn't see one last night. For an 'end of season nothing at stake' game this was quite good. Mediocre pundit has done a great job in summing up each individual player's performance. It has not been a great season. After losing consecutive games to Stirling and Cowdenbeath and going bottom things looked bad but McCall did manage to turn things around. Finishing 5th was OK and by the end we felt that we were as good as Dunfermline, Raith and Falkirk - none of them got the better of us in the league over the whole season. It is nice to remeber the last touch of the ball by a jags player this season was Rowson's screamer. Good to see the warm applause to the team at the end and it being reciprocated.

One other aspect I am glad about is the fact that the Dundee cheats cannot claim any kind of weird moral victory in the league. For ages it looked as if they could be on top of the league but for their points deduction. But in the end Dunfermline won the league on their own merit finishing 26 points above Dundee.

Next season it would be good to be up there challenging for top positions and it's about time we won the Challenge Cup.

Good summary (as indeed was MP's, tho' I'm more enthusiastic about Stewart)

I tho' can't muster any enthusiasm for the Challenge Cup. Year in year out it's costing the Club considerable cash to play in it. Even when you're out of it you run the risk of having a Saturday home match rescheduled. Take this season 1001 fans turned up for a the rearranged Q o S game, which would have attracted a crowd of over double if played on the original date. Even if we had won thru in the semis we'd still have lost out on rescheduling that game. In fact crowds would have been even lower as we'd be even more sick of the sight of playing each other. Stupidly conceived competition :thumbdown:

Player by player:

Pretty much full agreement from me. A couple of additional comments. Scully had one quite good save from a cross/shot in the first half, and took a couple of crosses really well. I was quite impressed by his kicking.

Jamie Campbell got better in the 2nd half. Overall, he did well in what doesn't seem to be his natural position. Great to see him get to the byline a couple of times and put in good crosses, one aspect that we almost never see from Paton.

Balatoni was excellent. I'd be delighted to see him with us again next season.

Tommy Stewart reminds me of Mark Roberts, but harder. Hope we keep him.

Erskine: Entertainment personified.

Doolan: Never stops. I was thinking that it's strange that there were few calls for him to be Player of the Year, yet here he is at the top of the goalscoring charts!

Rowser: Absolutely tremendous strike, and what a fitting end to the game!

McNamara: He deserves the position as much as anybody. There's certainly no point in bringing in one of the journeymen managers that have been given their jotters at several previous clubs. Jackie knows the players we have, he'll already know the kind of player he'd like to bring in, and with a couple of breaks he could have had a great run of results in his short time in charge.

Edited to add: Cairney had an excellent first half. He definitely seems to be getting back to his normal self.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Pretty much full agreement from me. A couple of additional comments. Scully had one quite good save from a cross/shot in the first half, and took a couple of crosses really well. I was quite impressed by his kicking.

Jamie Campbell got better in the 2nd half. Overall, he did well in what doesn't seem to be his natural position. Great to see him get to the byline a couple of times and put in good crosses, one aspect that we almost never see from Paton.

Balatoni was excellent. I'd be delighted to see him with us again next season.

Tommy Stewart reminds me of Mark Roberts, but harder. Hope we keep him.

Erskine: Entertainment personified.

Doolan: Never stops. I was thinking that it's strange that there were few calls for him to be Player of the Year, yet here he is at the top of the goalscoring charts!

Rowser: Absolutely tremendous strike, and what a fitting end to the game!

McNamara: He deserves the position as much as anybody. There's certainly no point in bringing in one of the journeymen managers that have been given their jotters at several previous clubs. Jackie knows the players we have, he'll already know the kind of player he'd like to bring in, and with a couple of breaks he could have had a great run of results in his short time in charge.

Edited to add: Cairney had an excellent first half. He definitely seems to be getting back to his normal self.

Agreed re Balatoni, thought he was excellent against a tricky opponent in Tade, and composed on the ball. I'd have him back next season in a heartbeat.

Tommy Stewart reminds me a bit of the super swede himself, Mr Lindau. Doesn't seem to be doing that much then pops up with a great finish. Same as Dundee, and his lob against Morton. Would like to keep him, but with another striker too. Wishful thinking.

And David Rowson - most fitting last kick of the season we'll ever see, with a genuinely touching moment when he was mobbed by his teammates, which carried on to the reception the team got at the end. Resigning him must be a top priority.