Wales V Scotland Live On S4C

mojo

Thanks for the head up, Mojo. I really enjoyed that - how often do you get to see Scotland winning 3-1, and after being 1 down at half time?! looks like I'll have to find a pub on Sunday night. Unless anyone else knows an Irish Freeview channel?!

Good prefromance over all but losing the goal when we were the better team shows how vulnerable our defence is to pace. Caldwell and Berra are OK defenders but no way good enough for the very top level. Unfortunately though there are probably better players, most (I'm thinking Handley, Wilson) are too young yet.

Still good to see Whitaker playing in his proper position, and if the likes of Thomson and McFadden get back to form we could have quite a strong midfield pool.

Edited by Mr Bunny

It was a good performance but it should be put in perspective. Gary Speed chose an inexperienced side. He left his best players on the bench, e.g. Ramsey, Bellamy, Vaughan and Collins. His managerial experience is very limited and his record at Sheffield United was hardly sparkling. We were also fortunate that Gareth Bale was absent.

Good prefromance over all but losing the goal when we were the better team shows how vulnerable our defence is to pace. Caldwell and Berra are OK defenders but no way good enough for the very top level. Unfortunately though there are probably better players, most (I'm thinking Handley, Wilson) are too young yet.

I can't agree with the part about the alternative central defenders being too young. We are far too reluctant to play players of their age - Wilson has played in the Champions League already, and friendlies (especially against relatievly weak teams) are the ideal time for him to get international experience. Other countries have no hesitation about playing 18 year-olds, we shouldn't either. Being realistic, we're not going to qualify for the Euros - if Caldwell and Berra aren't good enough to get us to a major tournament, and I would agree that they aren't, we should be bringing through players who might be in the future.

I can't agree with the part about the alternative central defenders being too young. We are far too reluctant to play players of their age - Wilson has played in the Champions League already, and friendlies (especially against relatievly weak teams) are the ideal time for him to get international experience. Other countries have no hesitation about playing 18 year-olds, we shouldn't either. Being realistic, we're not going to qualify for the Euros - if Caldwell and Berra aren't good enough to get us to a major tournament, and I would agree that they aren't, we should be bringing through players who might be in the future.

You always have to have a balance between youth and experience. I'd bring in one of them (possibly Handley as he's played regularly in the Premiership) to play beside a more experienced player. The bring the other on later in the game. I think this current tournament would have been a good chance to try out both (maybe in different games) but the manager was too keen to restore credibility with the fans and has played the old standbys. We can't risk it against the big teams in the real events - except maybe against the minor teams.

The other thign to consider is it's easier to introduce young players into a successful team - and we haven't been that for a long, long time.