First Signing Confirmed

Fawlty Towers

"The financial position of the club is such that we simply can’t go out and sign established first team players."

Ouch!

Yeah, that quote falls right in the middle of the story and kinda hits you like a sucker punch.

On one hand, I find the honesty refreshing. It seems like Jaggy Mac understands and accepts the confinements in which he has to field a team (in his first managerial job, no less), and he has no problems saying it point blank. Good on him.

On the other hand, it feels a bit like seeing a new doctor for a second opinion on your condition, only to have him give the same prognosis as the first one - you keep the slim hope that things aren't as dire until he goes and confirms it.

Ah well. I'll just have to play the lottery EXTRA hard to funnel some winnings to the club - Lord knows my intellect ain't going to get me rich. :blink:

It's a surprisingly good contract length he's been offered - in the past we've only offered season long deals, even to those that we would be loathe to see leave.

Before this signing I was wondering if we'd be better off trying to go down the (whisper it) Dundee route, where we have a decent spine to our first team, bolstered by short term loan signings. Obviously longer than four games though! At least then we wouldn't be stuck with people like Haliwell for a season, though we'd need someone with the balls to say, for instance, 'This Lovell deal just isn't working for us, lets not extend this loan'.

If we are actually going to sign people on long term deals, I trust they will at least have potential as McNamara's reputation will stand or fall on the performances this season. Good luck to the boy. Hopefully Stewart and Rowson won't be far behind.

I think going down this route is the best we can expect for now and could very well prove to be the making of the club. There are going to be a lot of good, young players freed this summer and with our youth development set-up seemingly working well now for once we could become a club who brings on youngsters and snaps up the discards from the SPL and gives them the chance to shine.

Keeping the likes of Rowson at the club is critical to us being able to bring these kids on and I dearly hope the good news we hear over the coming weeks is that he is styaing at the club. Tommy Stewart would also be a great addition I reckon as Jaggy Mac would get the best out of him and he is a player who has been very highly rated during his career so far though it has faltered.

I'm really optomistic about the future under McNamara and Sid but just hope that we don't see the usual expectations being set too high by some fans and that we all realise we are looking to build something here.

Welcome to the madhouse Johnny!

Probably like most of us I had not heard of johnny Lindsay. I do, however, like the thought of signing younger players who are hungry for success in the game and in some cases maybe with a point to prove.

Good luck to johnny and welcome to Firhill.

I also think we will be hearing some great news about Stewart and Rowser soon. Maybe I'm being over optimistic but the comments made by Jackie with regards the two of them, gave me the impression deals are almost done and dusted. Think the signing of those two would be to almost everyone's liking.

we are still to announce our own free's and I'd guess that will follow within the next week or so.

Again, I'm not the only one that has not heard of John Lindsay. But I like the approach Jaggy is taking here, it looks like he will bring in young players who will be looking to break straight into the starting 11. At 19 he is obviously still developing as a player, and I'm sure these types of players can be moulded into strong first team members over the next couple of years. I'm not overly keen on going down the road of bringing players in with the intention of playing them in the U-19's/Reserves for a few years, and it looks like Jackie feels the same, he will bring in players who are just old enough to have a right good go at holding down first team places.

It's no surprise when he says we simply cant buy established first team players, and that's just fine with me, thats never been a privilege that Partick Thistle has ever had...ever. But with the likes of Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine, I think its fair to say that we do a great job of working with players who would have never of dreamed of playing professional football, and I'm open to the idea of once again looking at the junior leagues. (Jamie Longworth of Queens Park for example was on trial with us a couple of seasons back, and we never took him on, he seems to be doing all right to say the least.)

We all have an idea of who is going, Halliwell, Boyle, Robertson?, and perhaps a few of the reserves. But with Tommy Stewart looking like a good player and Rowson possibly re-signing I think we have a good core, but instant success under Jackie just won't happen, it will take time. But...I think we all have reason to be optimistic.

I think this is a big risk, he has no real experience and it is a big jump from spl reserves into the first team of a first division club.

Let’s hope he will prove to be a good signing.

My thoughts exactly.

I think this is a big risk, he has no real experience and it is a big jump from spl reserves into the first team of a first division club.

Let’s hope he will prove to be a good signing.

Hate to be pedantic but look at Balatoni.

Ps. Lindsay has had first team experience at Dumbarton

Edited by Jeehon

Hate to be pedantic but look at Balatoni.

Ps. Lindsay has had first team experience at Dumbarton

Balatoni was not signed as a first-choice player. He took his chance when Kinniburgh and Robertson were unavailable. Balatoni was a loan signing. Lindsay has a two-year contract. By contrast, Archie, McBeth, Burns and Stevenson have one-year contracts.

Paddy Boyle had first team experience at Dumbarton but his first season at Firhill was poor. There is no sign of Paddy signing for another club so we may have a chance of re-signing him. We cannot afford any of our squad to have a poor season.

On the the official site, Jackie said that Lindsay was "defensive cover". Hopefully, Jackie still has enough in the budget to re-sign Boyle or sign a proven replacement.

Balatoni was not signed as a first-choice player. He took his chance when Kinniburgh and Robertson were unavailable. Balatoni was a loan signing. Lindsay has a two-year contract. By contrast, Archie, McBeth, Burns and Stevenson have one-year contracts.

Paddy Boyle had first team experience at Dumbarton but his first season at Firhill was poor. There is no sign of Paddy signing for another club so we may have a chance of re-signing him. We cannot afford any of our squad to have a poor season.

On the the official site, Jackie said that Lindsay was "defensive cover". Hopefully, Jackie still has enough in the budget to re-sign Boyle or sign a proven replacement.

Balatoni is I think an example of what Jackie is meaning about Lindsay. It's all very well saying Balatoni wasn't signed to play as a first choice defender but Hearts wouldn't have loaned him out if they weren't confident he'd get a fair amount of first team experience.

I don't think McNamara would sign a young relatively inexperienced player to play in a position where even if he was struggling he couldn't be replaced. At the same time Jackie can only sign players that he thinks can quickly step into the first team. That's where I think Lindsay is as was Balatoni last season.

It wouldn't be an unusual occurrence if Boyle doesn't sign with another club till the eleventh hour. In that case I would expect McNamara would have a loanee left-sided player (like Conroy a couple of seasons ago) that he could bring in. I'd like Boyle to stay but I hope it doesn't go to all that last minute nonsense.

i see it as we have quite a few u19 players making the move to the first team like bannigan, campbell, fraser etc but there is no one except stevenson( whos not made an appearance ) being a defender so lindsay will be a fringe player like fraser etc trying to make the move into playing first team week in week out. but he may be straight in the first team if we have no other left backs :)

• Members

I think a lot of contracts begin and end on the 1st of June. Next week should see a bit more transfer activity I suspect. As an aside, I dont recall Thistle revealing a list of released players at the end of this season. Did we release anyone?

I think a lot of contracts begin and end on the 1st of June. Next week should see a bit more transfer activity I suspect. As an aside, I dont recall Thistle revealing a list of released players at the end of this season. Did we release anyone?

Lochhead and Shepherd were buped.

Roson,Robertson,Flannagan, Hodge, McGeogh still in limbo. Boyle won't give an answer. Nothing about Stewart yet.

McCall told Shepherd and Lochhead that they would not be offered new contracts. Halliwell had been told to find a new club before being loaned to Clyde. Jackie then said that he would speak to Lochhead about his future.

The out-of-contract players are Halliwell, Shepherd, Boyle, Robertson, Flannigan, Hodge and Rowson. Jackie indicated that he would speak to Robertson, Flannigan and Rowson when he returned from Ecuador. I guess that Shepherd and Halliwell have been released. The big question is whether the contract offer to Boyle remains on the table or has been withdrawn.

Edited by kni