Pre-Season Friendlies

Smurph

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed the game against English opposition is a 3:00 kick off on Tuesday 20th July,this may affect the crowd as most people will be working

Baws. It's 7:30pm and not, as some ar5e put on the OS, 3pm.

Opposition not fully confirmed but they do like cider. :cheers:

I personally don't care who the opposition is, after the world cup we get to watch the jags again just a couple of days later :thumbsup2:

or during it as is the case with the Queen's Park game. :thumbsup2:

I noticed East Stirling are having a tour of North East England, probably better than we can manage.

Wed 14th July: Bishop Auckland

Thu 15th July: Spennymoor Town

Sat 17th July: Blyth Spartans

Baws. It's 7:30pm and not, as some ar5e put on the OS, 3pm.

Opposition not fully confirmed but they do like cider. :cheers:

Yeovill Town?

Seriously, who comes up with the pre season agenda, McCall or the BoD?

I've never heard of a more unimaginative load of tripe in all my life. Is it too much to ask for a couple of away games slightly further afield than **** Dumbarton or **** Clyde? Even the abomination that is DC managed to get a couple of games in the highlands.

Grrrrr.

Renting a bus to go to St Andrews for the day or renting a bus to go to north of England, it must cost virtually the same. It’s a load of cobblers.

As for the cider drinking English team, it’s not the Wurzles is it? I’m going to take the away end if it is.

Yeovill Town?

Seriously, who comes up with the pre season agenda, McCall or the BoD?

I've never heard of a more unimaginative load of tripe in all my life. Is it too much to ask for a couple of away games slightly further afield than **** Dumbarton or **** Clyde? Even the abomination that is DC managed to get a couple of games in the highlands.

Grrrrr.

^^^this^^^ and

Renting a bus to go to St Andrews for the day or renting a bus to go to north of England, it must cost virtually the same. It’s a load of cobblers.

^^^this^^^

Im hoping it is Bolton at Firhill as it may at least get more people through the gateand buck the general trend that very few people turn up for friendlies anyway.

As much as I'd love it to be Bolton, it won't be - after all, what's their cider connection? It will most likely be a team from the South West, like:

:thinking: Hereford? Yeovil Town? Do Taunton have a team? :unsure:

I'd also suggest Plymouth Argyle or Bristol City (who do have Strongbow Cider as sponsors on the back of their jerseys) as possible opponents - but as it's Thistle we are talking about it's more likely to be less inspiring and will be a lowerleague team like Yeovil (EPL1), Hereford (EPL2) or some Blue Square South team like Weymouth or Weston-super-mare :confused1:

:thinking: Hereford? Yeovil Town? Do Taunton have a team? :unsure:

I have a bet on with a Hereford supporting mate that we would beat them. We'll probably never know the answer, but if we were to get Hereford in a friendly this summer... we'd probably both not really be all that bothered to be honest.

There are numerous ways in which pre-season matches are arranged but they are primarily the domain of the manager irrespective of the Club’s standing in the game. I don’t think a piss up for the fans is furthermost in their thoughts when they arrange these games. :P

Bigger clubs usually ask for a set fee for fulfilling an away fixture whereas clubs at our level quite often simply receive the takings from the away end instead of any fee (as we did at St Mirren a few years ago). If there is indeed any money involved at all.

We played Blyth a couple of years ago simply because we were looking for a game on the way back from the training camp at Warwick. Last year we went to Edinburgh and played Cowdenbeath at Edinburgh Uni. The Lancaster game was a strange one – don’t know how that came about it. It’s the furthest I can recall us playing a friendly match other than when we have been away anyway.

Personally, I’m no great fan of pre-season matches although no doubt I’ll, as usual, go to this season’s. They are nothing more than training games and I’ve always found it a source of irritation that too much emphasis, good or bad, is placed on the outcome of them. A poor substitute for the real thing.

I’ve long thought that you are best playing the majority of them behind close doors with perhaps one exception to give the fans a look at any new signings.

BTW the ar5e that had the kick-off wrong for the home game on the OS was, for the avoidance of doubt, me. Just in case anyone thought I was having a pop at anyone.

Oh, and it isn’t, sadly, Hereford United that are due to visit Firhill.

what a joke was really looking forward to a trip away in pre season, queens park in st andrews hardly exciting, clyde shite ! dumbarton round the corner from my house.

was it really to much to ask for a team in the north of england ? really ?

agree with balloch Jag, scunnered with this years pre seasons games just a re-run of last years :thumbdown:

Gutted.

Not as much as me. A lot of my family on my father's side come from Herefordshire and Hereford have been my English team because of that. Would love Thistle to play them some time. There was a chance a few years ago but a proposed trip to the midlands fell through.

Get it sorted out McCall! :P

Careful what you wish for here! I was always desperate to see the Jags play Newccastle Utd. I had thoughts of a mighty tussle with out boys edging the Geordied by the odd goal in 5.Well it did happen, I think around 1983, Keegan and McDermott playing for them, they scored twice in the opening 15 mins and had it not been a friendly would have easily reached double figures. Who wants to see their team get gubbed before the season begins? Mind you there's no saying we won't by QP, Clyde or Dumbarton, maybe its better to get gubbed by a big team?