Kenny Arthur

If he could have learnt to come out and claim a cross ball and command his back 4 then the potential was there but did not happen and for a big lad that's why he's just awright. Certainly a thistle man but there are better out there. Now let it go before we start talking how Bobby Law got a raw deal when his time was up !!! RAVE ON.

What actually happened hear? I don't remember anything.

Kept him on the bench in the last game of the season. Shocking treatment for a guy who was in his testemonial season.

Compare that to how McCall treated Tuffey against QoS.

There's a lot of sentimentality being voiced on this thread imo, KA was an awrite keeper but nothing special. An all round decent guy too, but what makes anyone think he would be a better goalie coach than Hinchy? Would have him back but he's still nothing special! Tuffey, now thats a special goalie :thumbsup2:

He seems to be doing alot of planning for his career post-playing days, including setting up a website which not only sells gloves, but gives tips to anybody looking for help and advice with goalkeeper training, and by the looks of it this is something he would like to continue. Perhaps he wouldn't make as good a coach as Hinchcliffe, but he'd definitely make a better number 2 keeper, which if we're looking at jobsharing could be a clincher. As has been said above, it appears McCall doesn't rate him, but I'd take him back.

He seems to be doing alot of planning for his career post-playing days, including setting up a website which not only sells gloves, but gives tips to anybody looking for help and advice with goalkeeper training, and by the looks of it this is something he would like to continue. Perhaps he wouldn't make as good a coach as Hinchcliffe, but he'd definitely make a better number 2 keeper, which if we're looking at jobsharing could be a clincher. As has been said above, it appears McCall doesn't rate him, but I'd take him back.

If he was to be player-coach, would he not effectively just be coaching himself?

Guest Argus

There's a lot of sentimentality being voiced on this thread imo, KA was an awrite keeper but nothing special. An all round decent guy too, but what makes anyone think he would be a better goalie coach than Hinchy? Would have him back but he's still nothing special! Tuffey, now thats a special goalie :thumbsup2:

Tuffey? Special? A legend in his own lunchtime?

Defo special at the way he flaps at crosses.

In 4 or 5 years time you can evaluate where JT is in his career and compare it to where KA is now, I know which one of them we'll be watching and telling our mates "I always knew that guy was a special goalie when he played for the Jags".

Twinny I dont dispute your point and KA may have a future in coaching, maybe even at Firhill, but if he came back to Thistle this summer (I know, big if) I'd expect it would be as No1 not as back-up, so player/coach would not be viable. Plus Hinchy has proven himself as being able to develop young goalies.

In 4 or 5 years time you can evaluate where JT is in his career and compare it to where KA is now, I know which one of them we'll be watching and telling our mates "I always knew that guy was a special goalie when he played for the Jags".

Yet only one of them will have played his part in securing back-to-back titles for our club and played for us in a Scottish Cup semi final.

I wish Tuffey all the best, but as far as I'm concerned? Meh.

At least he had Tuffey to work with!

I wasn't advocating the signing of Arthur as player/coach with no other goalkeepers, hopefully we'd get someone of equal/higher standard for him to compete with. Doesn't really matter I suppose, it's not like it's in any danger of happening.

• 2 weeks later...