Mccall

ThistleMad

Say, not for any particular reason, that McCall was to leave the glorious institution that is Partick Thistle, who would we get to replace him?

Not that i am suggesting he would want to leave. Personally i cant understand why anyone would want to leave such a great club.

Indulge me tho, try to imagine the unthinkable, who will replace Ian McCall?

Thanks folks

Edited by ThistleMad

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would've thought MacPherson was a shoe in for the Killie job, still don't see them being interested in McCall when they are skint and he has a contract with us.

Danny Lennon seems the obvious choice with him being out of contract soon (I think) and getting Cowdenbeath up.

I would be sorry to see McCall goes, but its only rumour and cant see many SPL clubs being able to afford any compensation.

Lennon would be a good choice as replacement but I wouldnt be surprised to see him at least give Cowdenbeath a chance at surving in this division and can see SPL clubs coming in for him soon.

But there has been very little linking McCall with anything else anyway so hopefully he is here for a while :thumbsup2:

Say, not for any particular reason, that McCall was to leave the glorious institution that is Partick Thistle, who would we get to replace him?

Not that i am suggesting he would want to leave. Personally i cant understand why anyone would want to leave such a great club.

Thanks folks

You started with the title possibly leaving then state that there is not any real reason for him to be leaving. A bit confusing is it not :unsure:

Thanks folks

Don't worry, I reckon McCall is pretty cemented into his position :thumbsup2::lol:

You started with the title possibly leaving then state that there is not any real reason for him to be leaving. A bit confusing is it not :unsure:

I said i cant understand why anyone would want to leave. However that does not mean that others, such as McCall, could find it in their interests to tear themselves away from our glorious club.

...............PLEASE DONT START THIS AGAIN! I'm fed up with McCall leaving threads and we all know its not going to happen (unfortunately). :thumbdown: So dont get my hopes up!

The period of stagnation that the club is now in means that it is only a matter of time before, like a rat, McCall leaves the sinking ship that is PTFC. And i dont think that he will be as easily replaced as you think.

Name any Partick Thistle manager in your lifetime (or mine even) who has been better than him except Lambie?

This is about the millionth thread on this subject over the course of 2 forums and no-one has came up with a suitable or better replacement. If McCall leaves we are screwed unless we get that £200k compensation. The one thing that should be giving us all some hope is the success of the youth structure and if we have a change of manager I'd be willing to bet the next guy will do as the BoD tell him if they say its costing too much money. That, in addition to the numerous other reasons I have given for wanting McCall to stay, is reason enough for me to say 'careful what you wish for'.

if we have a change of manager I'd be willing to bet the next guy will do as the BoD tell him if they say its costing too much money.

And what would McCall do if the board turned around and said that to him tomorrow? Fund it out of his own pocket or walk away in a huff?

Wise up, man. McCall demonstrated at the tail end of the season that he'd be willing to walk out on us. And that's despite the talk of 3-5 year plans, a move upstairs, an affinity with West Enders and a settled son. What would happen to the youth system you've accredited to him then?

Really, what has he achieved that's earned him blind loyalty and devotion.

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

I'd be cool with McCall leaving. He's not been that great.

Really as opposed to Campbell who you believe was a very 'competent' Manager.

Off the top of my head McCall has:

Introduced a youth structure which is likely to be the future lifeblood for this club.

Worked at keeping us in the first divison where as previously we were bordering on a club in freefall, he has also on some occasions got us challenging for promotion.

Has had to work year upon year with a cut back budget which under a lot of other Managers would have seen us consigned to the second divison a long time ago.

Has already generated 200k in sell on fees for players he has signed, that surpassesLambie and a lot of others when it comes to sell on fees. Plus there are others who will generate sell on fees if need be - Cairney, Buchanan and who knows what will happen if Hodge, Erskine etc have a far better second year at the club.

As Steven said with the state this club is in then McCall is pretty much the best we can afford and if you believe 'competent' Managers like Campbell could do far better then you need your head read.

Since Lambie we have had a succession of rubbish managers, the fact that McCall may be the best of them isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement.

How much of the youth set up is McCall’s baby and how involved is he with it/ Seems to me that McCall has little to do with it. If this really is all down to McCall then fair play to him he deserves credit but I’m not sure what it is. And regardless, it doesn’t help that he is not a competent manager when it comes to putting a first XI on the park that can win games regularly.

If we change manager we might get another Dick Campbell…however we might unearth an utter gem. That’s a risk I’m willing to take because it would take a monumentally poor manager to get us relegated from a league containing two part time teams. If people want names what about Gus MacPherson? Or surely it wouldn’t take much for the mighty Partick Thistle to prize away Lennon or Moore from their diddy part time teams (the Bino’s chairman isn’t making his stupid £160k demand anymore).

Since Lambie we have had a succession of rubbish managers, the fact that McCall may be the best of them isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement.

How much of the youth set up is McCall’s baby and how involved is he with it/ Seems to me that McCall has little to do with it. If this really is all down to McCall then fair play to him he deserves credit but I’m not sure what it is. And regardless, it doesn’t help that he is not a competent manager when it comes to putting a first XI on the park that can win games regularly.

If we change manager we might get another Dick Campbell…however we might unearth an utter gem. That’s a risk I’m willing to take because it would take a monumentally poor manager to get us relegated from a league containing two part time teams. If people want names what about Gus MacPherson? Or surely it wouldn’t take much for the mighty Partick Thistle to prize away Lennon or Moore from their diddy part time teams (the Bino’s chairman isn’t making his stupid £160k demand anymore).

The cost of sacking McCall alone would at very least ensure that we became a part time team. In fact this club is so skint I doubt we could afford the money alone to pay compensation for Moore or Lennon alone never mind sacking the Manager we have who a lot of the supporters are happy with anyway.

McCall decides what the budget is spent on. If he didn't want the youth set up we wouldn't have it. Remember, Lambie was never bothered too much about youth football - though that was a different era. I reckon now we have no option. Since the board has been keen to cut youth policy in the past when things got tight I'd say it's logical to assume this is something McCall has insisted on.

He may not be responsible for the actual technical running of it, as opposed to setting it up and supporting it - it would be reasonable for him to appoint guys he thinks will do a good job and let them get on with it - but I'm pretty sure under a lot of other managers we wouldn't have it.

And what would McCall do if the board turned around and said that to him tomorrow? Fund it out of his own pocket or walk away in a huff?

Wise up, man. McCall demonstrated at the tail end of the season that he'd be willing to walk out on us. And that's despite the talk of 3-5 year plans, a move upstairs, an affinity with West Enders and a settled son. What would happen to the youth system you've accredited to him then?

Really, what has he achieved that's earned him blind loyalty and devotion.

It aint blind loyalty its sticking up for a guy who has done well at the Club and doesnt deserve the criticism he gets. Like all managers, he uses 'spin' to try to keep things positive, like all managers (of Thistle quality at least) make mistakes and he is no different. He saw a chance of improved terms at a better Club with a bigger infrastructure and more chance of progressing in Scottish Football, and like ALL managers, players, coaches, any other employee at the Club you care to mention he was interested...so I for one dont blame him. That's the way things are at Thistle, its the way its always been and its the way it always will be while we are a small club crippled with debt and losing fans by the shed load (no pun intended).

You say wise up! Tell me what you expect then. Is it a faultless manager who will devote himself to Thistle and promise to never leave, a manager who will work with virtually no backroom team and not look to move if the chance presents itself? We are fans and the majority of us will be 'blindly loyal' to the Club always, do you expect the same from every manager we have? If so then I say to you wise up and gain a bit of perspective :thumbsup2:

Edited by Steven H