Mccall

ThistleMad

Since Lambie we have had a succession of rubbish managers, the fact that McCall may be the best of them isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement.

The same can be said before Lambie too, only Bertie Auld has been anything near to a fans favorite in my lifetime other than Lambie (IIRC), but to say McCall is the best, even of a bad bunch, and still want him out is a tad hypocritical is it not?

How much of the youth set up is McCall’s baby and how involved is he with it/ Seems to me that McCall has little to do with it. If this really is all down to McCall then fair play to him he deserves credit but I’m not sure what it is. And regardless, it doesn’t help that he is not a competent manager when it comes to putting a first XI on the park that can win games regularly.

Re the youth set-up, Mr Bunny has already answered this very competently. As for McCall being incompetent when it comes to picking a winning team, I give you the first season and the first half of this season. In our poor/disasterous/unlucky/sh!te spell no team played us off the park and Dunfermline were the only team to give us a doing over the course of the season, makes a change from the regular humpings we were getting a few sesons ago.

If we change manager we might get another Dick Campbell…however we might unearth an utter gem. That’s a risk I’m willing to take because it would take a monumentally poor manager to get us relegated from a league containing two part time teams. If people want names what about Gus MacPherson? Or surely it wouldn’t take much for the mighty Partick Thistle to prize away Lennon or Moore from their diddy part time teams (the Bino’s chairman isn’t making his stupid £160k demand anymore).

Correct but very very risky, too risky imo, especially with the Club in its current state. To be honest I'd expect McCall to say "fu*k this, I'm off" in the very near future (especially if a bigger Club show an interest in him).

Edited by Steven H

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It aint blind loyalty its sticking up for a guy who has done well at the Club and doesnt deserve the criticism he gets.

I'll concede that some of the criticism of McCall has been over the top, but the fawning and the God-like position some to which some fans - pointing no elbows - have elevated him is nauseating.

I'm not seeking a flawless manager - I don't think they exist - but to say that we don't have one must meaning that you're willing to accept he's made mistakes. If that's the case, then how about recognising that when people do post justified criticisms of his tenure to date, instead of running to his rescue like some pumped up red 'n' yellow St. Bernard?

Unlike you, I believe my opinion of McCall's pretty balanced. I recognise the good things he'd done, but also don't flinch when confronted with the bad. I don't think I need to gain any sense of perspective.

You do, though. McCall's divided the support at every club he's managed. He's an infuriating character. He appears to be on the cusp of great management, but his penchant for bullshit, or spin as you've called it, and his eagerness to hoor himself to every potential employer going counters this in the thoughts of fans.

You say you can't blame him for wanting to better himself, I say you can't blame those fans who've grown disillusioned with him.

As for McCall being incompetent when it comes to picking a winning team, I give you the first season and the first half of this season. In our poor/disasterous/unlucky/sh!te spell no team played us off the park and Dunfermline were the only team to give us a doing over the course of the season, makes a change from the regular humpings we were getting a few sesons ago.

We finished sixth in McCall's first season.

On another point, we won't be able to truly evaluate McCall's reign at Firhill until we stop comparing him to his predecessor. It's an easy cop out.

We have to start comparing him to his peers, and those who've assumed management positions in his wake. Guys like Gus McPherson, Owen Coyle, John Hughes, Derek McInnes, Gordon Chisolm, Derek Adams, etc.

I'll concede that some of the criticism of McCall has been over the top, but the fawning and the God-like position some to which some fans - pointing no elbows - have elevated him is nauseating.

I'm not seeking a flawless manager - I don't think they exist - but to say that we don't have one must meaning that you're willing to accept he's made mistakes. If that's the case, then how about recognising that when people do post justified criticisms of his tenure to date, instead of running to his rescue like some pumped up red 'n' yellow St. Bernard?

Unlike you, I believe my opinion of McCall's pretty balanced. I recognise the good things he'd done, but also don't flinch when confronted with the bad. I don't think I need to gain any sense of perspective.

You do, though. McCall's divided the support at every club he's managed. He's an infuriating character. He appears to be on the cusp of great management, but his penchant for bullshit, or spin as you've called it, and his eagerness to hoor himself to every potential employer going counters this in the thoughts of fans.

You say you can't blame him for wanting to better himself, I say you can't blame those fans who've grown disillusioned with him.

If you read my post again you will notice I have indeed conceeded he has made mistakes, a lot of folk are single minded when it comes to McCall I am not one of them! The line of your quote that I have made bold is just a daft personal insult that makes no sense, anyone who has seen me will tell you I'm more Jack Russell than St Bernard and I sure aint 'pumped up'.

I think my points are valid and can be backed up, as they were on jagsforum.net but I am yet to be convinced about peoples reasons for being dis-illusioned with him. What more is expected of a manager of Partick Thistle (the best since John Lambie as one McCall naesayer has near as damn-it admitted to)? Now factor in his skeletal backroom team, the very low player budget and the dwindling crowds and ask if your expectations of McCall are realistic for a Club like Partick Thistle?

Oh and if, in your opinion, I am 'fawning' over him and putting him in a 'God-like position' can you explain where I do this? Or is it just one of those wee quips designed to invalidate what I'm saying?

Gotta be up there as one of the worst and most pointless new posts ever!

Not really my fault. Its because there are certain things you are not allowed to know. They may not even be true, but you are still not allowed to discuss the possibility that they are. So you are left with pointless posts.

Really? Since he has been with us for over 3 years there has been plenty of opportunities with SPL/English clubs over that period I really dont recall him hooring over anyone then. I think he had an interest alright in the Dundee post but last I read it wasnt a hanging offence (though those who like Tangerine may feel it should be)

In addition you keep bringing up how some fans keep referring to McCall as some God Like figure, can you fin dme a single quote on this whole website where someone has called him a God Like figure? No he is just a human being prone to making mistakes like the rest of us. Apart from Lambie Thistle are never going to get any God like Managers to take us to the SPL and its about time a number of our supporters realised this.

Edited by Third Lanark

Apart from Lambie Thistle are never going to get any God like Managers to take us to the SPL and its about time a number of our supporters realised this.

We don't have to find a God-like figure, but we don't have to settle for mediocrity, either. And be reasonable, TM, I don't have to find a quote that specifically uses the words "God-like". That is the overriding feeling you get from reading posts from the likes of your good self, though.

And perhaps you should try a little harder to think of instances where there were managerial posts open at other clubs. McCall openely admitted the Inverness job was of interest, stating that it could be his last shot at top-flight management. 'Someone' also linked him to the Motherwell job at a crucial time in his contract negotations and I'm pretty sure he flirted with Blackpool, too.

There, even from that it's plain to see some are only prepared to scratch the surface when it comes to discussing 'the coolest manager in Scotland's' indiscretions.

This is a completely pointless thread given that McCall IS the manager and there's nothing to suggest that he'll be leaving so I see no point as to why you're even speculating or discussing the matter :thumbdown:

It's been fuelled by a rumour. That's generally the way things go on message boards. Whether or not he's leaving or not is irrelevant, it's led to a discussion on the situation that may arise should he leave and his performance in the three seasons he's been here.

Guest mod7

It isnt me that wants to supress the information.

Why don't you provide a link to the source of the rumour? If you can provide that then there is no issue.

This 'rumour' is most likely coming from the fact that someone on Pie and Bovril spotted McCall having lunch with a ginger guy. One of the Killie board is allegedly a ginge and two and two makes 18!

:help: Jim Spence is ginger, he loves all things Dungdee. That's it, McCall is away to either Dungdee Utd or Dungdee, you heard it here first. :thumbsup2::censor:

This 'rumour' is most likely coming from the fact that someone on Pie and Bovril spotted McCall having lunch with a ginger guy. One of the Killie board is allegedly a ginge and two and two makes 18!

Now, you aren't doing that rumour justice. McCall was seen having lunch with a ginger guy in Troon.

Really as opposed to Campbell who you believe was a very 'competent' Manager.

Off the top of my head McCall has:

Introduced a youth structure which is likely to be the future lifeblood for this club.

Worked at keeping us in the first divison where as previously we were bordering on a club in freefall, he has also on some occasions got us challenging for promotion.

Has had to work year upon year with a cut back budget which under a lot of other Managers would have seen us consigned to the second divison a long time ago.

Has already generated 200k in sell on fees for players he has signed, that surpassesLambie and a lot of others when it comes to sell on fees. Plus there are others who will generate sell on fees if need be - Cairney, Buchanan and who knows what will happen if Hodge, Erskine etc have a far better second year at the club.

As Steven said with the state this club is in then McCall is pretty much the best we can afford and if you believe 'competent' Managers like Campbell could do far better then you need your head read.

And? do you actually think I was being serious with the Campbell comment?

And, to the rest of your shit you wrote, that's very nice.

I'll concede that some of the criticism of McCall has been over the top, but the fawning and the God-like mr-perfect-can-do-no-wrong-nothing-is-his-fault position, to which some fans - pointing no elbows - have elevated him is nauseating.

I'm not seeking a flawless manager - I don't think they exist

I recognise the good things he'd done, but also don't flinch when confronted with the bad.

McCall's divided the support at every club he's managed. He's an infuriating character. He appears to be on the cusp of great management, but his penchant for bullshit, or spin as you've called it, and his eagerness to hoor himself to every some potential employers counters this in the thoughts of fans.

^^^these bits^^^ :thumbsup2::happy2:

McCall could be a Thistle Legend and deserve to be mentioned in same breath as Auld and Lambie if he gets us into the SPL and keeps us there, especially under current financial constrictions.

One element of McCalls reign I do wish to see continued and never dropped, is the Youth setup. I don't think McCall takes that much to do with it (other than going to some games and watching the occassional training session), and leaves the day-to-day running, coaching, organising of 95% of what the youths do and who is signed/released, to Cameron, Donnelly, Gerry (and Hinchy with Scully and Shepherd). But McCall SHOULD get credit for getting it set up and running (and would be entitled to more credit if he did bring them on as players to be regular picks in the team), and his coach appointments for the youths - from the few games I have seen of the under 19's, the young ones are doing mighty fine and every game have seen progress in individuals and also team performances.

Hopefully McCall can prove the increasing band of doubters wrong (which 6 months ago I joined) this coming season - and if not get us promoted, at least have us playing some great football, not repeating the same mistakes as last season and constantly being out-thought in the tactics department by almost every opposition team) and showing some genuine progress and hope for the future, and seeing a few of the current under 19's becoming regular features in the first team.

Another season like last (where the league was clearly not going to be won by us as early as December, and the subsequent slide), and I will be borrowing the Millenium Falcon from Hans and Chewy and will personally fly him to any club in the UK or Europe in exchange for a recharge on my lightsaber and 20 Regal. For another 20 Regal and a date with Princess Leia, I will drop him off on Mars (though I won't land there, but will literally drop him from 800 feet onto the planet's surface).