Generic Music Thread

Red Yell

• 4 weeks later...

Do you like the cockney rejects meister?

Indeed I do, saw them support Rancid at the Barra's last December. I've heard that they're playing Ivory Blacks in November! (There was also talk of another Glasgow gig - something being arranged by an Airdrie fan; but maybe this the gig in November. I get all this from my son who's into the skinhead / ska scene. But sadly not the Jags. He leaves that to his mod brother who is Thistle daft :thumbsup2: In fairness, there appears to be a good mod crowd who support us and they seem like a good bunch.)

• Like 1

I've been into american hardcore punk since i was a teenager and a couple of years ago i found out that a lot of New York Hardcore had been influenced by Oi punk from back in the day, which kinda introduced me to cockney rejects. One of my favorite NYHC bands 'Judge' (from 1988) have the West Ham crossed hammers as their logo which i guess is a very visual representation of the influence of Oi in general and Cockney Rejects in particular. That logo has been used by many hardcore bands pretty much constantly since that period, although it seems that very few people in the hardcore scene are aware of that symbols west ham origins.

judgenyhc.jpg

You can also hear it in the style of backing vocals (the group shouting out parts), showing a direct connection between Oi and NYHC.

Edited by mrD

• 4 weeks later...

Hi MrD

Thanks for the above and apologies for not responding earlier. Been listening to quite a lot of Argy Bargy (named after a **** Sparrer song) and the strangely named Old Firm Casuals (I wanted to be put off by the name but the band seem sound and have drawn criticism from American far-right groups; which means they must be okay in my book!). Funny how brands like Lonsdale with the lion are big business in the States because of the British Oi / Skinhead scene and I guess the W Ham hammers logo has been similarly adopted as a sign of the movement. (My son showed me a pic of some Latin American and black skinheads from California who follow him on Instagram and it's the Brit' image thing that they're into; plus the music. From stuff they've posted, they're just into the scene and no hint of anything political.)

Something for the weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPAaVqGwBBE

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

... Following on from the above, this next lot cite Angelic Upstarts, Cockney Rejects, Sham 69 and The 4-Skins as their main musical influences...

... what do you nasty Punk reprobates reckon to ***** Riot then? (They are adamant that's how you should say it and not chicken out by saying ***** RIOT as the western news readers did).

As far as I'm concerned, their "Putin Zasal" (approx translation "Putin Has Pissed Himself") was song of the year 2012. Why? Well, lemme tell ya...

***** Riot are pissed off. LISTEN to these girls GO – there’s no restraint. Every second, every thwack, every pluck, every scream, every lyric is spewed forth as if their very lives depended on your hearing their message. They MEAN it maaan - that is shines through with such vitality from such a lo-fi recording source is testament to the depth of feeling inside. This is pure DIY-protest-punk with social commentary - where punk is always at it’s provocative best. And for those who care to join with them in physical spirit, hey hey hey, it’s a sing-a-long… you get two rounds at the chorus… altogether now… “Charizma Protesta… Putin Zassal… Myosha Zishpuyam… Rrrryot Rrrryot…" In particular FEEL the sneering DISDAIN in the “Putin Zassal”. In between the respond and call chorus is a shout along the lines of “Riot in Russia”. The overall chorus translation is "Revolt in Russia - the charisma of protest, Riot in Russia - Putin has pissed himself! Riot in Russia - We Exist! Riot in Russia – Rrrriot! Rrrriot!". Fun over, and with lustre suitably restored to roseified cheeks, you are now ready to ask some important questions – just WHY are these girls these SO pissed off? And has Vladimir sorted his incontinence issues yet?

Anti-corruption protests have been raging all over Russia since early in 2011. The root inspiration for “Putin Zassal” stems from one day in particular – 24th December 2011 – a day on which there were protest rallies in Vladivostok, Novosibirsk, Orenburg, Chelyabinsk, Saratov, Nizhny Novgorod and Saint Petersburg (where there were two). In Moscow that day, approximately 100,000 people attended anti-Putin rallies. In a 2011 interview with Reuters, Russian lawyer, politician, and political and financial activist, Alexei Navalny opined that Putin's political system is so weakened by corruption that Russia could face an Arab Spring-style revolt within five years. Navalny summed up the mood at the Moscow rally with his Christmas Eve address: “I can see that there are enough people here to seize the Kremlin and the White House right now. We are a peaceful force and will not do it now. But if these crooks and thieves try to go on cheating us, if they continue telling lies and stealing from us, we will take what belongs to us with our own hands....These days, with the help of the zombie-box, they are trying to prove to us that they are big and scary beasts. But we know who they are. Little sneaky jackals! Is that right? Is that true or not?” The rapturous crowd reportedly included liberals, anarchists, communists, nationalists and monarchists. Mikhail Gorbachev did not attend or speak but sent a message of support. On the day of the rally, the former Soviet President called on Putin to resign. Mikhail Prokhorov, the billionaire independent presidential candidate, was in the crowd but did not speak.

Later, ***** Riot’s "Shayba", speaking to the Financial Times, said "We saw how troops were moving around Moscow that day, there were helicopters in the sky, the military was put on alert. The regime just wet its pants on that day. And the symbol of the regime is Putin". And so it came to be that just 4 short weeks later, on January 20th 2012, in what the Associated Press described as their "breakthrough performance", eight members of the group debuted “Putin Zassal”, as dramatically as ever, on the Lobnoye Mesto in Red Square. During the performance they ignited a smoke bomb. This led to their being arrested and briefly detained on administrative charges, a Russian legal term similar to a summary offence or misdemeanor. A yellow card. Fair enough Mother Russia. Behind the scenes though, it seems as though the girl’s “cards were marked” – at the slightest hint of another foul the next one was a surefire RED. And who could possibly have foreseen the unbelievable repercussions that the disciplinary hearing had in store for the repeat offenders?

On February 21st, 2012, five members of the group staged a performance on the soleas of Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior. Their actions were stopped by church security officials. By evening, they had turned it into a music video entitled "Punk Prayer - Mother of God, Chase Putin Away!". The women said their protest was directed at the Orthodox Church leader's support for Putin during his election campaign.

On March 3rd 2012, two of the group members, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina, were arrested and charged with hooliganism. A third member, Yekaterina Samutsevich, was arrested on March 16. Denied bail, they were held in custody until their trial began in late July. On August 17th, 2012, the three members were convicted of hooliganism motivated by religious hatred, and each was sentenced to two years imprisonment. Two years imprisonment? Really Russia? Five clowns flail around in a church for a couple of minutes making a nuisance of themselves? Two years imprisonment? Where’s the victims? This sentence belongs in a bygone age, reminiscent of the sort of absurd punishments administered by overtly hysterical anti-heretics. This was instant martyrdom for ***** Riot. And a spectacular own goal for Putin’s regime. The judge stated that they had "crudely undermined the social order" with their protest, showing a "complete lack of respect" for believers. Russian human rights activist Lyudmila Alexeyeva called the judgment politically motivated and "not in line with the law, common sense or mercy". The foreign ministries of the United States and of European Union nations called the sentence "disproportionate". Putin stated that the band had "undermined the moral foundations" of the nation and "got what they deserved". Mark Feygin, a lawyer for the trio, stated that they would appeal the verdict, but that "Under no circumstances will the girls ask for a pardon [from Putin] ... They will not beg and humiliate themselves before such a b*stard". Tolokonnikova stated that "Our imprisonment serves as a clear and unambiguous sign that freedom is being taken away from the entire country."

On October 10th 2012, following an appeal, Samutsevich was freed on probation, her sentence suspended. Given that she hadn’t even entered the church, this seemed like a reasonable verdict!?! The sentences of the other two women were upheld. In late October 2012, Alyokhina and Tolokonnikova were separated and sent to prison camps. Two other members of the group, who escaped arrest after February's protest, reportedly left Russia fearing prosecution.

For the crime of mock-playing punk rock for 2 minutes in a church, a prison sentence of 2 to 7 years was seen as appropriate by 33% of the Russian public, whereas 43% saw two or more years as excessive, and a further 15% said the defendants should not have been prosecuted in court. The conservatism of the public has been criticized by some Russian commentators. Levada Center director Lev Gudkov commented on the results, stating that most Russians get their information from television, and therefore perceive events in accordance with the state's "official version". Ha ha! Are we not reminded of Alexei Navalny’s speech from the December rally? “These days, with the help of the zombie-box, they are trying to prove to us that they are big and scary beasts.”

Whilst acknowledging the outpouring of worldwide support, members of ***** Riot distanced themselves from Western artists, and reiterated their opposition to the capitalist model of art as commodity: “We’re flattered, of course, that Madonna and Björk have offered to perform with us. But the only performances we’ll participate in are illegal ones. We refuse to perform as part of the capitalist system, at concerts where they sell tickets.”

Contrary and difficult? Maybe. A nuisance to some? Probably. Naïve in certain regards? Arguably. Unorthodox? Most certainly. But above and beyond all of that, they are a brave group of girls who have decided that they are not happy with the regime that they are living under. And, whether you agree with their point of view or not, any dis-satisfied David with the gumption to peacefully challenge a ruling Goliath deserves some degree of respect. It is not right that a state can simply crush down upon such protest with such a cruel disregard for personal liberty. When an offence which merits, at worst, 2 weeks of community service, results in 2 years imprisonment, then it’s surely time for alarm bells to start ringing all over the globe. Quite frankly, this is one of Russia’s biggest embarrassment’s in the 21st century, a globally magnified mountainous problem where it should've been an irksome domestic mole hill. To the sleepwalking citizens of Russia I say this: “Never Mind The Zombie Box Bollocks, What About Your Very Own Civil Liberties? Wake up and smell the coffee – or it could be YOU next…” In the meantime, we’ll keep on rocking in the free world…

~ The Jukebox Rebel

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

... Following on from the above, this next lot cite Angelic Upstarts, Cockney Rejects, Sham 69 and The 4-Skins as their main musical influences...

... what do you nasty Punk reprobates reckon to ***** Riot then? (They are adamant that's how you should say it and not chicken out by saying ***** RIOT as the western news readers did).

As far as I'm concerned, their "Putin Zasal" (approx translation "Putin Has Pissed Himself") was song of the year 2012. Why? Well, lemme tell ya...

Apologies, JR, don't know how I missed your post; but I did... Think you missed the bit about them being: "part of the global anti-capitalist movement, which consists of anarchists, Trotskyists, feminists and autonomists." Don't know if they rock or not. Think they're actually pretty sh** myself; but at least they did time for Putin!

Cheers mate.

Edited by Meister Jag

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Saw Radiohead at Old Trafford Cricket Ground last night. They played a 2h 15m set ranging across their back catalogue. Best I've ever seen them play live. Jonny Greenwood was fantastic.

If you are going to TRNSMT at Glasgow Green, you are in for a treat.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...