Generic Music Thread

Red Yell

If you'd like summit different for the weekend, try this:

&

Deal's Gone Bad are from Chicago, Illinois. Their sound mixes reggae, rocksteady, and ska music with American soul. With apologies for the use of cut 'n' past but I got into this band a while back and their current lead singer, Todd Hembrook, is the real deal. As good a voice as anyone past or present.

P.S. Hope the links work ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Dexy's Midnight Runners: Don't Stand Me Down. Perhaps my favourite ever bonkers nut job ego trip in music. Bonus points, if you like that kind of thing, for the preppy outfits, and a wee bit of plagiarism when he borrowed a Warren Zevon riff on "One Of Those Things."

Funny thing about this was that he slagged off Adam Ant in the album and then went onto write with him. F*** knows what they wrote and if it was ever recorded but it must have been a meeting of unstable minds given that AA was sectioned and Rowland was later canned and bottled off stage when he strode on wearing full stockings and suspenders garb.

Dexy's Midnight Runners: Don't Stand Me Down. Perhaps my favourite ever bonkers nut job ego trip in music. Bonus points, if you like that kind of thing, for the preppy outfits, and a wee bit of plagiarism when he borrowed a Warren Zevon riff on "One Of Those Things."

Dexy's finest moment ever that album :worshippy: .

Flopped (they say) because 3 years had passed since the mass-sales of TooRyeAye and the various singles, the media didn't get it and slagged it rotten and the recordbuying public had moved on and forgotten about the band. But to this day, 25 years on, it is a masterpiece of beauty and brilliance, lyrically and vocally Rowland is at his best. Never Ever Tire of this album. Anyone who likes music, should buy it.

Funny thing about this was that he slagged off Adam Ant in the album and then went onto write with him. F*** knows what they wrote and if it was ever recorded but it must have been a meeting of unstable minds given that AA was sectioned and Rowland was later canned and bottled off stage when he strode on wearing full stockings and suspenders garb.

Never knew about AA and KR writing together - i'd love to hear the demo's if they even got that far.

As for KR's crossdressing stage - musically and visually, his lowest moment ever. What was he thinking? :blink:

Dexy's finest moment ever that album :worshippy: .

Flopped (they say) because 3 years had passed since the mass-sales of TooRyeAye and the various singles, the media didn't get it and slagged it rotten and the recordbuying public had moved on and forgotten about the band. But to this day, 25 years on, it is a masterpiece of beauty and brilliance, lyrically and vocally Rowland is at his best. Never Ever Tire of this album. Anyone who likes music, should buy it.

Never knew about AA and KR writing together - i'd love to hear the demo's if they even got that far.

As for KR's crossdressing stage - musically and visually, his lowest moment ever. What was he thinking? :blink:

Not sure if you've been to see Dexy's Bootleg Runners: http://www.myspace.com/dexysbootlegrunners and

(DBR are towards the end of the clip). I saw them on the Renfrew Ferry and they played 'Searching for the Young Soul Rebels' from cover-to-cover plus a few others. Great night out. Even took my 18-year old along and he enjoyed them too.

Will try to find out a bit more about KR and AA. I agree, a totally bizarre writing partnership. They were probably only allowed crayons at the time of this collaboration! B)

Not sure if you've been to see Dexy's Bootleg Runners: http://www.myspace.com/dexysbootlegrunners and

(DBR are towards the end of the clip). I saw them on the Renfrew Ferry and they played 'Searching for the Young Soul Rebels' from cover-to-cover plus a few others. Great night out. Even took my 18-year old along and he enjoyed them too.

Will try to find out a bit more about KR and AA. I agree, a totally bizarre writing partnership. They were probably only allowed crayons at the time of this collaboration! B)

Hadn't come across DBR, but will be making the effort to see them live asap - SFTYSR as well as TRA and DSMD are 3 unique and excellent albums in their own inividual rights and would be right into seeing (even a covers/tribute act) performances of these albums in their entirety or a set pooling various tracks from each - thanks for the tip-off MJ :thumbsup2:

Anything you can dig up re KR&AA collaboration would be of interest to me.

To add: just done a bit of searching (for the young crayon rebels) - seems a song "If you keep on" was cowritten by the two of them in '89 and appeared on the 'Manners and Physique' album (released 1990). Not one I think i have in my collection (but have loads in various boxes, rooms, corners of the universe, forget all i have at times) but will check or try track it down - but still curious to know more indepth info on their time together writing and what (else) may have been worked on (to possibly never see light of day).

• 2 weeks later...

Frank Black and the Catholics eponymous debut album. Loads of highlights on this one with my favourite tracks being "The Man Who Was Too Loud"

& I Gotta Move
Backing vocals by the weirdly named Cult of Ray.

Never heard of this band but have now listened to both tracks. Am very very impressed. Gonna check these guys out big time. Thanks for posting...

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to three or four of their albums now. Just a great band.

[ Frank Black and the Catholics that is ]

Glad you like them, check out stuff that's been put out by Black Francis and by the Pixies. Sure you'll enjoy.

Try this:

sent to me by a mate from work. Pretty good IMO.

Happy New Year and FTOF!

Glad you like them, check out stuff that's been put out by Black Francis and by the Pixies. Sure you'll enjoy.

Try this:

sent to me by a mate from work. Pretty good IMO.

Happy New Year and FTOF!

Sorry, mate. Snorefest. Will be checking out Black Francis and the Pixies though..

Happy New Year to you too and FTOFFE !!!!!!

Edited by crazy davie

• 2 weeks later...

Off to see them at the weekend - haven't actually heard them to be honest, but there's enough interesting people involved to suggest that they're worth a shot.

Thinking of going too. Only got the lp the other day and I think its amazing. Kind of what you'd expect from the people involved but still a fantastic lp. Worth buying.

• 2 weeks later...

Music new to me that I've being enjoying during the last few weeks...

Black Angels - great rock 'n' roll sounds

Gogol Bordello - high-octane (as they say) gypsy (hahaha) folk music sounds

Frank Black / Black Francis / Francis Black / Frank Black and the Catholics - don't know what to make of this at all, it's got everything you could think of

• 2 months later...