Another Junior Heading Our Way

Lindau

In this scenario is it not fair to critics the 25k or so that Eddie Prentice or his company take home. Surely in the case of value for money if the Jags Trust ran the Centenary Fund for free then that 25k or so could be put to better use Graeme? Almost seems to me at times that while making every penny count with the playing budget the board are not so cautious with other areas of the club

I'm not going to comment on any individual member of staff, but in general terms, I don't think that our current financial situation can sustain the current number of full-time salaries it does, both on and off the pitch. At some point we're going to have to rethink how the Club is structured.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to comment on any individual member of staff, but in general terms, I don't think that our current financial situation can sustain the current number of full-time salaries it does, both on and off the pitch. At some point we're going to have to rethink how the Club is structured.

I think we are at that point now Greame, there has been some 'low-level' restructuring that is/should be saving the Club money so perhaps some of the 'higher-levels' should be restructured accordingly...starting with Directors (or their companies) who take money out of the Club. If this £25k thing is to do with someone running the CF then where is the profit being made?

This thread has gone waaay off course :blink:

I think we are at that point now Graeme, there has been some 'low-level' restructuring that is/should be saving the Club money so perhaps some of the 'higher-levels' should be restructured accordingly...starting with Directors (or their companies) who take money out of the Club. If this £25k thing is to do with someone running the CF then where is the profit being made?

This thread has gone waaay off course :blink:

Everything Thistle these days boils down to the cold hard facts of our wider situation, except perhaps Paul Paton's choice of boots, but I'm sure someone will find a way to link that back-in with Eddie Prentice's salary or PropCo somehow. :thinking:

Am I right in saying that Eddie is now also officially the Club Secretary? It would be interesting (partially just from a nosey point of view, and partly in light of the restructuring that I think is necessary) how the Club accommodate that on several levels.

That's exactly what it isn't. If we only bring in players who we can afford, the very future of the club will not be at stake. The massive massive gamble would be to spend money we don't have.

For the 100th time, I am not suggesting we spend money we dont have.

What I am suggesting is we spend the money carefully on players who are less of a risk than some untried players from the juniors who would put us (in my opinion) in more danger of being relegated to the oblivion that is the 2nd division.

As an example, I dont see the difference in offering a wage of £300p/w to a 19 or 20 year old freed by someone like Motherwell to offering the same money to a junior player who has had little or no professional coaching.

As an example, I dont see the difference in offering a wage of £300p/w to a 19 or 20 year old freed by someone like Motherwell to offering the same money to a junior player who has had little or no professional coaching.

:thinking: Can turn that around, Grant. Players being released from eg Motherwell have failed to impress even with the benefit of professional coaching. Junior players of the same age group who have impressed without pro coaching should surely improve with it.

We're not going to agree on this and the whole thread is based on conjecture so maybe it's all hypothetic. Also, in my mind the jury's out on both Doolan & Erskine. If they totally fail next season I'd be swayed towards Grant's opinion. If they progress, even if not greatly but enough, I'll stick to my view that signing a few well sourced juniors is a worthwhile policy till more of our own youths break through to the first team squad.

:thinking: Can turn that around, Grant. Players being released from eg Motherwell have failed to impress even with the benefit of professional coaching. Junior players of the same age group who have impressed without pro coaching should surely improve with it.

We're not going to agree on this and the whole thread is based on conjecture so maybe it's all hypothetic. Also, in my mind the jury's out on both Doolan & Erskine. If they totally fail next season I'd be swayed towards Grant's opinion. If they progress, even if not greatly but enough, I'll stick to my view that signing a few well sourced juniors is a worthwhile policy till more of our own youths break through to the first team squad.

You could argue that a player being released has failed. However, it may be that the club are well covered in a particular position and due to costs, cannot keep the player.

Twaddle is a good example of this, a young guy who came to us after turning down a contract at Falkirk because he wanted to play regularly and improve under McCall. He improved enough that we got a decent fee for him.

From the Evening Times

Meanwhile, the Partick manager has dismissed speculation linking him with a move for Cumnock Juniors duo Gary Wild and Gary McMenamin.

The Jags gaffer is understood to be monitoring several Junior targets but McCall said: “I know both these guys and although they are both good players they are not of interest to us.”

Several Junior targets! :thinking:

For the 100th time, I am not suggesting we spend money we dont have.

What I am suggesting is we spend the money carefully on players who are less of a risk than some untried players from the juniors who would put us (in my opinion) in more danger of being relegated to the oblivion that is the 2nd division.

This is where the difference is in what you and WJ are disputing Grant, any 19 20 year old Motherwell player who is good enough for the 1st div will not accept £300 a week, he is more likely to get double that from a Dundee, Dunfermline or Queen of the South if he is good enough. If we get a Motherwell reject for £300 a week he has probably been deemed not good enough by other clubs in Div 1.

You could argue that a player being released has failed. However, it may be that the club are well covered in a particular position and due to costs, cannot keep the player.

Twaddle is a good example of this, a young guy who came to us after turning down a contract at Falkirk because he wanted to play regularly and improve under McCall. He improved enough that we got a decent fee for him.

I bet it cost us a fair bit more than £300 a week for Twaddle tho. Lets use Doolan as an example, when he first signed he scored 5 goals between Jan and the end of the season, thus showing anough potential to merit a better deal. Same wi Erskine, sign on lowish wages and after showing the potential to cut-it at this level got a better deal that brought him into line with several other 1st team players. To try the same thing with released 19/20 year olds would first off be more risky but it may also be a bit of a sore yin for our own youngsters if we sign a Motherwell youth reject. For example if I were McGeough, Burns or Bannigan and McCall signed an untried 19 year old who plays the same position as me I'd soon become dis-illusioned.

Jeesh!

This is like the election all over again...

GrantB = Brown - spend our way out of the crisis

Woodstock Jag = Cameron - we're Donald Ducked, get used to it...

I vote Woodstock Jag!!!

For the 1000th time, I am not advocating overspending, just using the money more wisely!

Is Simon Donnelly the equivalent of Trident?...Do we really need him?

Chris Erskine is Thistle's equivalent of Trident, only he's not mind-bogglingly expensive but he's there to baffle the living daylights out of the opposition and we just might use him if provoked. :thumbsup2:

Well one thing's for sure. We shouldn't be trying to spend money we haven't got, GrantB - please take note.

Try actually reading my posts. I'm getting sick of repeating myself. I am not saying we should spend any money we dont have.

If he is good enough for the 1st division, and good enough for Thistle, then it stands to reason he will be good enough for teams who will pay more than £300 p/w, do you not agree?

Teams have budgets and can only sign so many players. We will be able to get players that will be able to do a job. Remember, Partick Thistle is still a big draw for a player and with McCall's record of being able to persuade players to come here on the grounds of improving them as players while they are here. How do you think we got Brian Hodge when there were SPL clubs after him at the same time?

If he is good enough for the 1st division, and good enough for Thistle, then it stands to reason he will be good enough for teams who will pay more than £300 p/w, do you not agree?

The player in question may be deemed good enough by Thistle, but not the other teams you've mentioned. Plus, all three of those sides have announced reductions in playing budgets. No guarantee they'd offer a 19 year old anything approaching double what Grant's suggested.

Teams have budgets and can only sign so many players. We will be able to get players that will be able to do a job. Remember, Partick Thistle is still a big draw for a player and with McCall's record of being able to persuade players to come here on the grounds of improving them as players while they are here. How do you think we got Brian Hodge when there were SPL clubs after him at the same time?

Fair point but when it has come down to getting players we want we are constantly losing out to other teams of similar stature. The risks involved in getting a youth player from SPL clubs and getting a Junior who is a wee bit older are similar, but financially we would be taking a slightly lower risk by going for juniors and offering them deals like Doolan and Erskine imo. McCall is 2 for 2 in the juniors signings (sort of) but his signing of seasoned pros and young players is not so good.

The margin of risk between the 2 is negligable tho and all dependant on what we would pay a junior in wages and what we'd pay a 'good enough' young SPL player.

Fair point but when it has come down to getting players we want we are constantly losing out to other teams of similar stature. The risks involved in getting a youth player from SPL clubs and getting a Junior who is a wee bit older are similar, but financially we would be taking a slightly lower risk by going for juniors and offering them deals like Doolan and Erskine imo. McCall is 2 for 2 in the juniors signings (sort of) but his signing of seasoned pros and young players is not so good.

The margin of risk between the 2 is negligable tho and all dependant on what we would pay a junior in wages and what we'd pay a 'good enough' young SPL player.

I disagree that McCall is 2 for 2 from junior signings. Doolan hasn't proven himself and my opinion of Erskine is well known.

Well one thing's for sure. We shouldn't be trying to spend money we haven't got, GrantB - please take note.

Try actually reading my posts. I'm getting sick of repeating myself. I am not saying we should spend any money we dont have.

Methinks Crazy Davie is on the wind-up, Grant ;)