Taking Mind Off Berwick Game

thornwoodjag

..................................Alan Rough

John Hansen..........Jackie Campbell........Alan Hansen..........Alex Forsyth

Denis McQuade........Ronnie Glavin..........Chic Charnley........Bobby Houston

.....................Dougie Somner..........Joe Craig

That's a side and a half and you don't look that old either.

Ah the good old days!

1. Nicky Walker - a class act

2. Don Mcvicar - can't believe he has not been mentioned yet a cracking player with some long throw

3. Steve Pittman - who could forget his strikes from about the half way line that found there way into the net, especially a game against hearts I seem to remember.

4. Alan Archibald - a true thistle legend

5. Gregg Watson - always felt safe with gregg at the back

6. Chico - they greatest player I have ever seen, a real crime never got to represent Scotland at international level.

7. Albert craig - the ghost, his goals for games ratio was tremendous for a midfielder.

8. Davis Rowson - on so many occasions as held the midfield together.

9. Ian Cameron - we were so lucky in the 90's to be blessed with great midfielders and Cameron had an awesome touch.

10. Mark Roberts - played with some really poor players over his time with us, without him god knows where we would be now.

11. George shaw - who put the ball in the Celtic net?

Subs

12. Craig Nelson - we have been blessed with great keepers over the years and Nelson was terrific I was heartbroken when he left until I seen nicky walker.

13. Bobby law - practically spent his whole career with us and was treated so poor by the club.

14. Davie Elliot - was the fastest player I have ever seen in his first spell with the club.

15. Colin mcglashan - a terrific wee striker

16. Gerry Britton - will never forget the goal he scored against dundee best goal I have ever seen and who can forget the one against rangers.

Manager John lambie - no manager since has come close to the great man.

Not mentioned in that team but just missed out willie jamieson, shaggy, craigan, Callum Milne, Alan dinnie, grant teirney, stevie welsh, Alex Taylor, Garry harkins, quinton Jacobs, Peter lindau, Scott McLean, Martin hardie, roddy grant, John flood, John Buckley, jim Duffy, Gordon Rae, Davie irons, Des mckeown, Kenny Arthur, Danny Lennon, Paul Kinnaird etc etc etc.

Walker

Mcvicar, shaggy, irons, Pittman.

Ghost, Chico, Cameron

Marco

Roddy, Shaw.

Best eleven I ever saw together was the team that played Celtic off the park at Hampden when they were lodgers. Not a smash and grab/ backs against the wall match but purely a far better footballing team that cuffed them.

Rednyella 4ever

This is a lot harder than I would have thought! I'll go with:

1 - Nicky Walker - A class act. Exactly the kind of keeper a defender wants behind them.

2 - Stephen Craigan - He was an absolute rock for us in our league winning seasons and in the season we stayed in the SPL. One of the few players over the years who actually looked like he really loved playing for us.

3 - Archie. More so when he played on the left. Scored a few screamers after charging up the left wing, most notably against Hearts at Firhill. Also a natural leader.

4 - Scott Paterson. I've never seen a defender so comfortable with the ball at his feet. Ridiculously skillful. I can only remember him ever scoring two goals for us. Both were screamers, both were in the cup against ICT and both were important. But the thing I'll most remember him for was in his second spell with us. We were playing St Johnstone at Firhill in our last relegation season. A high ball was punted up the wing, towards the city end, Peter McDonald gave chase, Shaggy shaped up as if he was going to volley the ball out of the park, but he let the ball fall almost to the ground, before he skinned McDonald with one slick movement. McDonald ended up on his arse but sadly, the sudden movement aggravated the injury which had plagued his career and he was promptly stretchered off. He never played for us again.

5 - Martin Hardie - I used to love watching him charging past players, chipping in with plenty of goals and getting it right up the opposition players and fans. Scored so many important goals in the first division championship winning season. His double at Inverness and his header against St Mirren at Firhill spring to mind.

6 - Albert Craig - Scored a ridiculous ammount of goals for a midfielder and loved a goal against Killie which is no bad thing. His skill level was on another planet in comparison to the midfielders we have in our squad today.

7 - Danny Lennon - Everything a captain should be. He always led by example and had a cracking right foot on him. It's great to see him getting so much praise for the way his team have been playing so far this season.

8 - Chic Charnley - The most naturally gifted player I've ever seen in a Thistle strip (apart from me at 5's). The only reason he was never capped was purely down to snobbery and who he played for. If you compared him to some of the dross that have turned out for Scotland in recent years it would make you sick.

9 - Mark Roberts - I shudder to think where we would be without his goals. He carried one of the worst Thistle teams I have ever seen with his goals. Utterly prolific.

10 - Alex Burns - What an amazing buy he was. Scored some vital goals to help us win promotion and had an unbelievable season for us in the SPL. The partnership he formed with Gerry Britton was magnificant.

11 - Gerry Britton - Maybe my favourite player ever. He scored so many goals for us over the years including my favourite ever Thistle goal at Dens. He always worked tirelessly and his unorthadox style made him an interesting player to watch. Excellent partner for the likes of Grady, Burns and Shaw with his workrate. He also had a phenominal scoring record against the Old Firm. This still wouldn't stop the grumpy old farts in the shed/Jackie Husband Stand giving him dogs abuse at times though.