Clyde Doing It Right?

hamiltonjag

Through my job I had to attend the "Fun in the Park" Event in Cumbernauld yesterday. I was approached by a leaflet-weilding Clyde fan who's mission was to talk folk into buying a Season Ticket for Broadwood. Resisting the massive temptation to wind the guy up, I took a leaflet and listened to what he had to say.

OK this is 3rd Div football we're talking here so their season ticket is only £99 but.... the local business sponsorship deals attached are impressive...... on showing the season ticket the gyppo is entitled to discounts, 2 for 1 deals, a free car valet at Arnold Clarks etc. An impressive long list of businesses listed.

So that's one positive for prospective buyers (the season ticket can pay for itself on money-off deals elsewhere)

But here's what caught my eye as an interesting idea: You can use the season ticket book as you wish... you can attend the 18 different games yourself, or you can bring a mate and use 2 season ticket vouchers, or bring 2 mates and use 3 vouchers. Run out of vouchers and you pay at the gate. Gotta hand it to them... it's a good idea when you think about it. :thinking:

Now if a wee diddy 3rd Div club like Clyde can do this (and I witnessed at least a dozen folk signing-up for a season ticket on the spot yesterday) it begs the simple question..... why aren't Thistle doing something similar?

But here's what caught my eye as an interesting idea: You can use the season ticket book as you wish... you can attend the 18 different games yourself, or you can bring a mate and use 2 season ticket vouchers, or bring 2 mates and use 3 vouchers. Run out of vouchers and you pay at the gate. Gotta hand it to them... it's a good idea when you think about it. :thinking:

Now if a wee diddy 3rd Div club like Clyde can do this (and I witnessed at least a dozen folk signing-up for a season ticket on the spot yesterday) it begs the simple question..... why aren't Thistle doing something similar?

Does the designated ST holder have to attend him/herself to "introduce" his/her guests, similar to many golf clubs that have a book of tickets each season in their membership package? Or is the book essentially just a book containing 18 pre-paid discount tickets?

Sounds on face value quite a decent initiative. I'd assume (more theoretical admittedly) seating could be a problem if there was multiple use for a bigger game and season ticket holders wanted to use their regular seats. Easily surmountable all the same.

You ask "why thistle aren't doing something similar". I ask why aren't they doing virtually anything to make season tickets more attractive to the wider fanbase?

I like the idea of being able to bring mates and use a couple of vouchers from the book, that could persuade those who miss afew games a season and don't get their moneys worth, it also means fans of other clubs who live local could get one and visit when their team is away, and as they are still able to use all the vouchers despite missing games makes it worthwhile.

Does the designated ST holder have to attend him/herself to "introduce" his/her guests,

I don't know mate, sorry. Never thought to ask/didn't want to look as if I was interested and waste the guy's time.

You ask "why thistle aren't doing something similar". I ask why aren't they doing virtually anything to make season tickets more attractive to the wider fanbase?

My thoughts exactly.

I think it could be a winning idea atClydes level, but as her ladyship above says, what happens when everyone wants to bring along mates to a bigger game?

I could still see it working at Firhill although it would be a finer line we walked as it's essentially a book of comps you would have rather than a season ticket.

Lots of nice ideas in that Clyde package that include discounts on leisure spending. Always handy. A coupon for a few bob off dinner for two at DiMaggio's in Ruthven Lane wouldn't be unwelcome with my season ticket. There's a ton of potential cross-marketing opportunities in the West End.

Lots of nice ideas in that Clyde package that include discounts on leisure spending. Always handy. A coupon for a few bob off dinner for two at DiMaggio's in Ruthven Lane wouldn't be unwelcome with my season ticket. There's a ton of potential cross-marketing opportunities in the West End.

And the City Centre.

Agree with other points folks have mentioned above. Alot of good ideas in Clyde's season ticket voucher.

You can debate all you want about some deals working well because they're in the 3rd Division but at least their season ticket displays and contains deals to entice the fans to renew and claw back lapsed fans.

To me their season ticket shows that they care about the supporters.

I read something I thought was really daft - then I thought it wasn't as daft after all. I watched a Seattle Sounders game on telly and at one point a plug for 'the official dentist of the Seattle Sounders' appeared onscreen.

Seattle has had an MLS side for two seasons and now has about 30,000 season ticket holders. There's tons of good marketing ideas Thistle could borrow that wouldn't cost the earth. If a club can push the boat out and find a dental practice willing to sponsor it, why can't Scottish teams do the same?

Official beers, whiskies, burgers, gyms, car dealerships, teas, coffees, Mexican food joints, pizzas. Fecking hell, hands up the Jags fan who hasn't eaten pizza? Would it really be that difficult to put something together.

Dare I say, if Clyde can do it ...

I think it could be a winning idea atClydes level, but as her ladyship above says, what happens when everyone wants to bring along mates to a bigger game?

I could still see it working at Firhill although it would be a finer line we walked as it's essentially a book of comps you would have rather than a season ticket.

What bigger games....... even if every ST holder brought 3 mates theree would still be seats for all

What bigger games....... even if every ST holder brought 3 mates theree would still be seats for all

Fair point and I did consider it when I posted , my point was it was a finer line for Thistle than for Clyde , in todays climate certainly not as fine a line but I still don't see our BOD considering it.

Point I was making is that ST holders could hardly use their own seat if they brought a few mates along for a more high profile game in the assumption that other ST holders would be doing likewise. I wasn't exactly meaning it would be a major problem in a stand the size of the JH.

Personally I think that this idea should be introduced alongside the status quo STs, as an alternative rather than as a replacement. Perhaps this scheme would be more manageable without issuing a designated seat to the purchaser :unsure: . Give the punters the choice between an open 18 match book and the standard ST package as it is today.

I'm all for more imaginative and varied methods of admission such as this idea, early bird schemes, an open 10 game voucher book, "club" tickets incorporating season ticket & occasional hospitality, concessions for unemployed etc.

What we need is more of the positive/radical thinking that got the under 16s for free introduced. Just about any change to the status quo is open to abuse and with those doubts the idea may just be discarded without further thought. I'm sure with a bit of imaginative thinking those obstacles can be overcome.

Through my job I had to attend the "Fun in the Park" Event in Cumbernauld yesterday. I was approached by a leaflet-weilding Clyde fan who's mission was to talk folk into buying a Season Ticket for Broadwood. Resisting the massive temptation to wind the guy up, I took a leaflet and listened to what he had to say.

OK this is 3rd Div football we're talking here so their season ticket is only £99 but.... the local business sponsorship deals attached are impressive...... on showing the season ticket the gyppo is entitled to discounts, 2 for 1 deals, a free car valet at Arnold Clarks etc. An impressive long list of businesses listed.

So that's one positive for prospective buyers (the season ticket can pay for itself on money-off deals elsewhere)

Good post Hamilton Jag, have you thought to email the club about these details. They may not be aware of what happens with the Ckyde season ticket so worth emailing them to give them some ideas.

Good post Hamilton Jag, have you thought to email the club about these details. They may not be aware of what happens with the Ckyde season ticket so worth emailing them to give them some ideas.

Thanks.

But I'd be surprised if the club powers that be don't read the forum..... even out of curiousity.

Guest Argus

Who's suggested that?

Alan Cowan in reply to a suggestion that Thistle sell books of ten tickets that could be used at any game you fancied through the season.