World Cup Sweepstake

Tam

This is how we are running ours in the work. It keeps things interesting up until the last game and saves you throwing money away if you get Algeria or England in the sweep stake :D

The principle is that the game's contestants get points for goals, depending on where and by whom they're scored. Not only are you counting on your own selections to hit the back of the net freely and often, but also - crucially - fervently hoping that the games featuring everyone else's choices are turgid no-score borefests. With Goal Club you get to experience that exciting, nail-biting tension of leading 1-0 in a cup final with 10 minutes to play in every game, even the dullest Honduras-vs-Switzerland first-round chess match.

HOW IT WORKS

You choose one from each of the following categories:

- an individual player

- a team

- a first-round group

- a venue

After each match, you score points as follows:

- For every goal scored by your chosen player: 2 pts

- For every goal scored for or against your chosen team: 1 pt

- For every goal scored in all games in your chosen group: 1 pt

- For every goal scored in your chosen stadium: 1 pt

Goals count individually in every category, so for example if you've put all your eggs in one basket and chosen Rooney, England, Group C and Rustenburg, and the celebrity goal-monger nets twice there against the USA on June 12th, you'd get 10 points. And basically, that's all there is to it. Most points at the end of the tournament wins.

I organised the sweep in our work. My boss picked out Italy and Holland in the draw. I then realised I had made a mess of the draw so had to do it again. He was in a meeting so I gave him the last two teams to be picked which were New Zealand and Honduras and I got Argentina and Holland. Fix!

I got New Zealand too. Be lucky if they score a goal!

Hey come on that's a bit harsh! A bit of a cliche too - we're not actually a crap team you know! Beat the Serbs a few days back, narrow loss to Aussie (2-1) too. Also had a decent showing against Italy last year, leading for most of the game only to lose 4-3 in the end. They'll score a goal alright, and will probably pick up a win or at least a draw, maybe two.

Guest grahamgibsonlickedmyaero

33 people entered ours. So somebody got a bogey team.

Poor lad sitting near me got Iraq. See you later fiver.

I specifically requested England and somehow got them. I think its basically because nobody else wanted them.

THREE LIONS ON THE SHIRT

Got the one we all really dread England!! :thumbdown:

Would £96 plus England winning the World Cup be worth it? :thinking:

You can work out the answer to that: it amounts to 44 years of travail since the last time, and if it were the same that would be £2.18 a year. Of course, you'd also have to add the redoubled crowing about two wins, which would discount the £2.18 by, say, 10%. (I'm being generous.) So your eventual gain would be something like £1.96 a year. :lol:

You can work out the answer to that: it amounts to 44 years of travail since the last time, and if it were the same that would be £2.18 a year. Of course, you'd also have to add the redoubled crowing about two wins, which would discount the £2.18 by, say, 10%. (I'm being generous.) So your eventual gain would be something like £1.96 a year. :lol:

More like £1.966