Scottish Independence

honved

Hooray! You have jumped to a conclusion about my political affiliation - sadly incorrect however - but well played you!

Hooray! I should have said "The spirit of Old Labour" to put my comment into a proper context - sorry. I'd never try to second guess anyone's politics on this forum.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you don't work in the public sector but you give a school based and, dare I say it, ridiculous example given the heidies were mostly all out today and the schools were shut. Trolling of the highest order but not unknown from you sadly.

:lol: I simply do not know where to start with this drivel.

I gave an example based on someone I know. All factually correct. Schools in our area were all shut to pupils but certain schools were opened and staff made to attend (to spend the day drinking coffee as they were not allowed to do any work on behalf of a striker)

I would suggest that if anyone is trolling here, it is you. Away back under your rock.

Those who choose not to strike should also choose not to accept the changes achieved by the strikers. Perhaps scab is an outdated term. Perhaps leeches would be more accurate. Is this bullying? With bullying there are victims. Leeches are only too happy to take the hard-earned positive outcomes of strike action whilst contributing nothing but ill-feeling during strikes. These are not victims. These are cowards driven by selfishness who enjoy the fruits of other peoples' struggles.

And yes I read implication in your question. I also did my best to furnish you with an answer based on my opinion.

Personally, I think Jack London called it right:

After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, he had some awful substance left with which he made a scab. A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles. When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and Angels weep in Heaven, and the Devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out....

:thumbsup2:

I gave an example based on someone I know. All factually correct. Schools in our area were all shut to pupils but certain schools were opened and staff made to attend (to spend the day drinking coffee as they were not allowed to do any work on behalf of a striker)

Ok fair do's - just to clarify there were a number of people at our place that crossed the picket line and went to work and I would consider none of the non-union staff who did so to be labelled a 'scab'.

Likewise there were another couple of union staff who went through but who do have quite horrendous personal circumstances(one being bankrupt and the other going through a costly divorce/lost house) who it could be argued really couldn't afford to come out with the rest of us.

For myself the true 'scab' definition applies to those (and there were a few) who are part of the union and have joint family incomes significantly >70k who used the excuse of not being able to afford a day off. By doing so they really didn't endear themselves to the rest of the staff and doubly so those who chose to circumvent the main gate and sneak in a side door.

As for the person you know it's perhaps time for them to sign up and ensure the person who had the chat knows that they are professionally ready for them should they come calling again.

I'm away back under my rock. :thumbsup2:

Ok fair do's - just to clarify there were a number of people at our place that crossed the picket line and went to work and I would consider none of the non-union staff who did so to be labelled a 'scab'.

Likewise there were another couple of union staff who went through but who do have quite horrendous personal circumstances(one being bankrupt and the other going through a costly divorce/lost house) who it could be argued really couldn't afford to come out with the rest of us.

For myself the true 'scab' definition applies to those (and there were a few) who are part of the union and have joint family incomes significantly >70k who used the excuse of not being able to afford a day off. By doing so they really didn't endear themselves to the rest of the staff and doubly so those who chose to circumvent the main gate and sneak in a side door.

As for the person you know it's perhaps time for them to sign up and ensure the person who had the chat knows that they are professionally ready for them should they come calling again.

I'm away back under my rock. :thumbsup2:

I agree with your principles. If you're part of the union, and the union votes to strike, you should be out too. Otherwise the democratic legitimacy of the union is completely undermined.

Where I disagree (not with your view - with others expressed here) is in a monopolised closed shop (illegal now?) or where union members bully non-union members. That's unacceptable behaviour, plain and simple.