Glasgow Warriors

Jagman1876

According to the Scotland on Sunday newspaper - Warriors are at an advanced stage of taking their home games to Scotstoun Stadium

This wouldn't be good fornour finances

Dont want to be a merchant of doom, but if true, that could be the final nail in our coffin. Can anybody give us some GOOD news this week???

I was told by a member of the board in May that the" Warriors love playing at Firhill and intend on renewing their 5 year deal". I have also been told that the pitch at Scotstoun isn't wide enough for rugby. But if true (and I highly doubt it)this would cause massive problems for the club, as the Warriors are worth about 200k per season.

The new SRU marketing guy Dodson was on the TV news on Friday saying the two pro teams weren't pulling in big enough crowds and that they'd be taking steps to address that. Don't think it will be a decision for the Warriors to take if the bosses decide this isn't the best way forward and Scotstoun is.

The rugby money has been a huge bonus that no other club of our size has had the benefit of. How much of a disaster has that cash managed to conceal over the last few years?

I was told by a member of the board in May that the" Warriors love playing at Firhill and intend on renewing their 5 year deal". I have also been told that the pitch at Scotstoun isn't wide enough for rugby. But if true (and I highly doubt it)this would cause massive problems for the club, as the Warriors are worth about 200k per season.

This came up in discussions elsewhere, so here's some wild internet speculation based on no facts at all, but worth considering for a gloomy moment:

What if they ARE happy at Firhill but maybe have cause to believe there won't be a Firhill at which to be happy in a year or two?

Scotland's Rugby League team is planning to play Ireland at Scotstoun on 16th October. The dimensions of the pitches for League and Union are similar. The official Union pitch dimensions are not fixed. Many athletics stadiums offer their infield for hire as rugby pitches.

Here is John Beattie on Firhill and Scotstoun - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/johnbeattie/2010/08/beattie_4.html

"But, being a football stadium, the pitch is narrow and by accident of location it's a nightmare getting parked.

"They say you can't get a rugby pitch inside an athletics track and there are other considerations as to ground capacity and undersoil heating.

But I was told by someone high up in Glasgow City Council that they have measured a potential pitch at Scotstoun and it would be bigger than Firhill's - probably having sneaked up there with a tape measure."

We should be worried!!!

The Scottish Football League' website states that our pitch is 105 metres long and 69 metres wide. The maximum size for a Rugby Union pitch is 100 metres long and 70 metres wide. However, the dead ball line should not be less than 10 metres from the goal line. It can be as much as 22 metres from the goal line.

The maximum length of the Firhill rugby pitch may be as 85 metres or even shorter, i.e. 15 metres or more shorter than the maximum. The pitch will also be a few metres narrower than the maximum of 70 metres. The big stadiums in Britain have pitches of around 90 metres by 70 metres wide plus in goal areas of around 15 metres.

John Beattie's claims about the Firhill rugby pitch being small appear to be valid.

Edited by kni

I was only going by what I had been told by a member of the board. Obviously after reading the article you cited I am more concerned, since the income from the Warriors probably prevented us from going part-time and enduring even more hardship.

Might be a good idea to keep an eye on the Warriors forum as they have also have the same topic.

Warriors Forum

I was only going by what I had been told by a member of the board. Obviously after reading the article you cited I am more concerned, since the income from the Warriors probably prevented us from going part-time and enduring even more hardship.

Might be a good idea to keep an eye on the Warriors forum as they have also have the same topic.

Warriors Forum

A Google search revealed this - http://www.greenfiel...tstoun-stadium/

"GreenFields has completed a brand new rugby pitch at Scotstoun Stadium, a “state-of-the-art” complex in Scotland which will feature in the 2014 Commonwealth Games. GreenFields artificial turf system Slide Pro has achieved certification of the International Rugby Board (IRB) and will be used by the Glasgow Warriors.

"In addition Scotstoun Stadium has become Glasgow Warriors rugby team’s headquarters and is a center of excellence for rugby. This comes through a partnership between Scottish Rugby Union, Glasgow City Council and Culture and Sport Glasgow.

"GreenFields has been awarded the prestigious Preferred Turf Producer status by the International Rugby Board."

Sounds like a lot of expense for only a training pitch.

Even if the current infield is too small, the Warriors could probably lay artificial turf over the running track to produce a full size pitch.

We should be VERY worried.

Edited by kni

This seems like the nail in the coffin if anything. No amount of bullshitting from club directors or shareholders or whoever with a say in this current shambles could really convince me otherwise.

I hope that admin will me allow to repost my comments on the PTFC RIP thread. Our contract is supposed to run 2014... It is possible that the Warriors (or their above partners) have offered us a termination deal but not the full amount. Any deal would have to be approved by the shareholders.

Another possibility is that Warriors (and/or their partners) have offered the Board a deal for us to share Scotstoun, e.g. no rent for a few years, in exchange for terminating the contract without compensation. That would enable the board/PropCo to sell and/or develop Firhill. They could settle our debts and pay a dividend to the shareholders. There could be enough money to buy out the main shareholders.

Admittedly, it is possible that everything will carry on as now for three years. However, we should be on our guard and be very wary of any changes to how the club is structured or managed.

Edited by kni

Interesting Queens Park cannot use Hampden Park for2013-2014 and possiblyo 2014-2015 and on a tour of hospitality last year at Hampden the Queens Park Director was saying they were hoping to share Firhill that season but there maybe a problem because the Warriors would be sharing, obviously that does not look to be the case now, which would therefore make sense to share with us for that period of time.

Name please. Last time someone went around quoting members of the board it caused an awfy stushie.

There's always Broadwood or the redeveloped Lesser Hampden. Nice to see everyone getting used to the idea we'll have to give up Firhill. :thumbsup2:

I don't think people not wanting to move to Scotstoun is the same thing as people not getting used to the idea we'll have to give up Firhill. What do you mean by "give up" anyway?

:lol:

That is a point though - would anyone stand up on Southbrae Drive and watch the game for free?

At ground level there's no chance of that as there's a train line and a stand in the way, but certainly my block of flats lets you see about 3/4 of the pitch (only a wee bit of the near touchline is obscured by the stand from the top floor here). I'd imagine the even taller flats on Southbrae Gardens behind would be able to see the whole pitch and from a view that's really not much further away than you'd expect from a massive stadium like the Nou Camp. That lot have sun-terraces too.

Scotland's Rugby League team is planning to play Ireland at Scotstoun on 16th October. The dimensions of the pitches for League and Union are similar. The official Union pitch dimensions are not fixed. Many athletics stadiums offer their infield for hire as rugby pitches.

Here is John Beattie on Firhill and Scotstoun - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/johnbeattie/2010/08/beattie_4.html

"But, being a football stadium, the pitch is narrow and by accident of location it's a nightmare getting parked.

"They say you can't get a rugby pitch inside an athletics track and there are other considerations as to ground capacity and undersoil heating.

But I was told by someone high up in Glasgow City Council that they have measured a potential pitch at Scotstoun and it would be bigger than Firhill's - probably having sneaked up there with a tape measure."

We should be worried!!!

Parking at Scotstoun would not be much better, even with the old pitches in Victoria Park thrown in. You can hardly get a parking space inside Scotstoun on a regular night, and there not much available in the streets nearby.