What Was The First Thistle Game You Went To?

jagfox

I was 9 for My first Jags game - it was the Scottish cup tie Vs Aberdeen on 3rd Jan 1990 when we got beaten 6-2. I'm pretty sure it was 2-2 at half time - I remember chic charnley scored and think he may have got sent off too??

My upstairs neighbour Mark Watson and his brother James took me and we were right in the middle of the shed-I was sitting on the concrete railing thingy on the terraces and distinctly remember being carried forward by fans down the terrace when we scored! I got lifted over the turnstile and spent my admission money on pies! (-:

My first away match was a dufc cup replay that was played at Kilbowie.

My first Thistle game was in July 1971,the 1st game in their league cup section, when they defeated Arbroath 4-0. If I remember correctly, I think we had a good wee run in the competition that year. I was living on the Isle of Skye at the time and was staying in Glasgow with relations during the school holidays

I believe it was Hibs at Firhill sometime in the latter half of the 60's, but I know nothing about the game. I was taken to Ibrox maybe in 68 or 69 for Glasgow cup match which finished 2-2. I told my dad that I preferred the team in Red & Yellow and soon after he started taking me to Firhill. We got relegated & I remember a couple of games against Dundee United & St Johnstone. The St J match we were losing 3-1 & came back to win 4-3. We used to stand on the the north terrace & I remember loads of kids jumping the wall & celebrating behind the goal when we equalised then scored the winner. Like Willjag I wasn't allowed to go to the LC Final (I was 10) as my dad ran an amateur team & I had to go with him. If only I'd known!!!!!

I remember vaguely the st Johnstone match. Did johnny Flanagan not miss a penalty plus the retake as well? This was round about the time of my first game Feb 69 a midweek 2-1 win over raith rovers.I remember being gobsmacked when the floodlights came on full power just before kick off.it was magical.

Ok then I'll join the queue. It was at Firhill in 1959 when I was 4 yrs old and I can remember only one thing and that was the Jags were playing in Red N' Yellow Hooped Jerseys .Only remember sitting on the concrete crush barrier with my dad holding onto me. Dad reckons it was against Clyde and Thistle won but don't ask me the score. It was actually the other Big Glasgow Derby in those days. Hearts were Champions that year too!

First game was away to Brechin City in League Cup 82, we were living in Montrose at the time so was only just down the road. Roughie, my hero since '78 World Cup (though not sure why!) was still playing, went onto pitch during warm up to get his autograph.

Game finished 1-1, not sure on first home game, think it was the following season.

My dad used to take my brother and I to games when we were very young, but at that age our priority was using the terrace as a playground and not showing any interest in the game.

I remember a pre season friendly at Newlandsfield where my brother and I got under the barrier and invaded the pitch to play on the grass. My dad didn't realise we had left his side until the game had been stopped to get us removed.

But, when i was old enough to realise what it was all about, the first game that got the ball rolling was a 3-1 win at home to Raith Rovers on Tuesday the 5th September 1989. Me, my Dad and my Grandad all standing together on the North Terrace.

0-0 at home vs Airdrie at the back end of the 81-82 relegation season I had just turned 5. It would be over a decade before I saw Thistle in the Premier league again, coincidentally also vs those scum bags in the opening game of our return to the big time under Lambie.

I can corroborate this.

I was not allowed to go to said game because it was Christmas day. Even although my family lived in Wilton Street. Dad was overruled.

Having said that, I did get 'Who's Next' in my Christmas pile that day......................

ANCIENT?: In our prime Id have you know!

You forum guys are all ancient! I reckon I was at a 2-0 defeat to Aberdeen at Firhill in about 1980 ish? And not long after that, a 2-1 defeat to st Mirren at Fihill where Alan Rough saved a penalty. But this is vague memories and may be well off. Set me up for life though. My daughter's seen Jags winning four out of four and I'm worried that this is poor preparation.

You forum guys are all ancient! I reckon I was at a 2-0 defeat to Aberdeen at Firhill in about 1980 ish? And not long after that, a 2-1 defeat to st Mirren at Fihill where Alan Rough saved a penalty. But this is vague memories and may be well off. Set me up for life though. My daughter's seen Jags winning four out of four and I'm worried that this is poor preparation.

Good to hear as i have not seen him for a few years but couldn't imagine him not being a Jags fan.

He was a coach at the amateur team i played with and when our game was postponed we all went to Firhill and then on a belter of a pub crawl. :)

ANCIENT?: In our prime Id have you know!

I must now be in my second or even third 'prime' I think. First game v Hearts August 1939, aged 5 and more interested in the Frys Chocolate Crème being sold by a guy with a tray round his neck in the stand. than in the game, of which I remember nothing. Next match, which I do remember, was Christmas Day 1948. Thistle 1 Morton 0. Jimmy Cowan in goal for Morton, who boasted two other internationals - Tommy Orr and Billy Campbell. ( The latter's o.g. won the match) A hard low cross from John A Mackenzie sliced into his own net by Campbell at the Ruchill end Other Jags players that day were Legerwood,, Forsyth, Sharp ,O'Donnell Walker., Husband, McGown. Were they better than the current crop? Difficult to say but I remember these players more vividly than most of the hundreds I've seen in red and yellow since.
  • Like 4

23rd November 1996 - Airdrieonians at home. Nil Nil From memory Gregg Watson got kicked in the head and had to come off, I'd travelled up from Ipswich and my train home after the game was cancelled. I had to stay with a cousin in Edinburgh overnight but I didn't care I had been to my first match. Happy Days...

I must now be in my second or even third 'prime' I think. First game v Hearts August 1939, aged 5 and more interested in the Frys Chocolate Crème being sold by a guy with a tray round his neck in the stand. than in the game, of which I remember nothing. Next match, which I do remember, was Christmas Day 1948. Thistle 1 Morton 0. Jimmy Cowan in goal for Morton, who boasted two other internationals - Tommy Orr and Billy Campbell. ( The latter's o.g. won the match) A hard low cross from John A Mackenzie sliced into his own net by Campbell at the Ruchill end Other Jags players that day were Legerwood,, Forsyth, Sharp ,O'Donnell Walker., Husband, McGown. Were they better than the current crop? Difficult to say but I remember these players more vividly than most of the hundreds I've seen in red and yellow since.

Had many people tell me over the years that Willie Sharp was the best player they'd ever seen at firhill. The great Puskas was a fan of him as well apparently.

Just taking a wee work break via this most distracting of websites. What a great thread this is...

St Johnstone, 16th October 1971. 2-1 home win. Wasn't allowed to go the next week and I'll be forever gutted.

OMG. I feel your pain bro...

December 1962 - Thistle 3 (Hogan, Whitelaw, Hainey) Airdrie 0 Crowd 12,000

It was Thistle's ninth successive win in our best ever run in the top League - 15 games unbeaten. The crowd went mental at half-time when the scores were put up on the board at the City End - Rangers were losing, Thistle were top of the League.

Wow. An awesome moment in history...

I think my first away game was at the Cliftonhill Superdome in November 1970.

Oooooh yesh. A quite magnificent arena...

Christmas Eve 1977, Thistle 4, Ayr United 1. Alex O'Hara scored a hat-trick.

First away game was a 2-0 defeat at Kilbowie later the same season.

I was at Kilbowie that day too. Would you Adan & Eve it my bloody Uncle Gavin (Murray) scored for them - think it was his one and only goal for them as well. Before the game I'd leaned over the wall and shouted him over to sign my programme. Which was a bit stupid considering I could have just got him to sign in it in his house later on. I must have been like "look at me I know a player" :D (Gie's a break I was only 8!)

January 1969 - Celtic 8 Partick Thistle 1 in a cup replay.

It wasn't the best of starts for poor Albert... but mind you, whit disnae kill ye...

I'm really amazed at how people can remember precisely their first game. I honestly have no idea of what mine was, and I often have trouble remembering who we played last week.

:clapping: Jaggernaut has developed an excellent pain-preservation technique...

[/b]

Metz, now that was a Jags supporters' experience bettered maybe only by the League Cup Final of '71.

What, even that bit where "and McWilliams rounds the keeper, only has to tap the ball into an empty.... post" :o

I must now be in my second or even third 'prime' I think. First game v Hearts August 1939, aged 5 and more interested in the Frys Chocolate Crème being sold by a guy with a tray round his neck in the stand. than in the game, of which I remember nothing.

I take my hat off to you Sir. May you still be gawn in 2039... :fan:

I’m reliably informed that I was wheeled in via pram for several games in the early 70s. No danger of any recollection as to the actual first…

My first aware season was a cracker - 1975-76. It was all about Joe Craig and Dougie Somner that year as the Jags strolled to the title.

With a little help from the excellent statto.com I can trace the date of the first game to actually stick in the memory – 25th October 1975. Arbroath 0 Thistle 0. I was 6. I remember it well because it was a bit of an adventure. We were up early to catch the bus (the Summerston) which picked us up at Milngavie. The big men on the bus were drinking beer and singing songs. Talk about a template! I also remember being a bit annoyed because we couldn’t beat a wee team from the seaside. Attitude already…

Still got the programme too which cost the princely sum of 5p!

First game was a 0-0 at Firhill vs Raith Rovers in August 1987. Kenny Watson missed a penalty, the mists of time have put it in my head that he got to re take it and missed it again. Dunno if anyone else would remember such an unremarkable match but would be delighted to be corrected if so. Hamish Mcalpine was in goals for Raith.

First away game was the legendary 1-0 win over Falkirk at brockville when we were bottom of the league and them top on Christmas Eve 1988 as my mum was working and my dad decided to take me along. Paddy Kelly lobbed Gordon Marshall from (conservative estimate) 274 yards. That was the game that sealed the deal for me, dad had to do his best to hold on to me in the brockville shed when that goal went in.

Re: brigoadhs posts, kudos. Think it was Johnnie Mackenzie that Puskas raved about after he played against Hungary though.

No idea about first game Firhill sometime early 66-67 season might have been Falkirk or Hearts in late Nov early Dec First away game was at Broomfield December 1966 that is for sure First home game Im sure of was the cup game against Dumbarton in Jan 67

Just brought all the stories told by my dad about these players flooding back. He made Firhill, the players and the AULD LUM, seem magical and mystical to me. Of course, it actually is. He also said that we seemed to be the great Hibs sides bogey in those days. Hope you see many more years mate!