What Was The First Thistle Game You Went To?

jagfox

The first game I remember was the 3-0 win v Dundee the time they won the league (early '62). It was also George Niven's first game for us. I was told that wasn't my first Jags match so I'm guessing my first game would be in late '61.

My first away game was also at Cathkin but don't remember exactly when. I also saw Thirds play Hibs at Hampden in the very early sixties. Cathkin was getting renovated at the time (fat lot of good that did them) so I suppose the Jags were away from home that day :unsure: . Neither of my sojourns to Cathkin were by trolleybus. Think the only time I can mind going by that means of transport was for the Scotland v Brazil game in the year between 1965 and 1967.

Partick Thistle 6-3 Dundee - Season 92/93. I was 3.

Remember it so well. Sweet revenge for a 6-2 drubbing a year or two before, as I lived in Dundee at the time.

My first game was also against Dundee, but 0-0, a month or two after we won the League Cup. The next week I saw us beat Aberdeen 2-0, in front of a fairly big crowd. Scorers Glavin (my first) and Forsyth. I had to look that up, and now realise that my first Thistle game was Jimmy Bone's last.

First away game, a 3-1 loss at Cappielow around the same time, but the book dates that to 1974....ok then.

my first game was against hibs. we drew 2-2 in A cup game and it went to penalties. jim leighton saved 3 penalties in the shoot out. we got beat. least we had old drunken jakes behind the goals shoutin ' hey spazzy legs!' at jim leighton for lookin like he has rickets. whats happened to the old drunken jakes that were always at the game? bring them back! old men and their foggy headed drunken humour always gave me a laugh

Edited by fatha bacon

The first game I remember was the 3-0 win v Dundee the time they won the league (early '62). It was also George Niven's first game for us. I was told that wasn't my first Jags match so I'm guessing my first game would be in late '61.

My first away game was also at Cathkin but don't remember exactly when. I also saw Thirds play Hibs at Hampden in the very early sixties. Cathkin was getting renovated at the time (fat lot of good that did them) so I suppose the Jags were away from home that day :unsure: . Neither of my sojourns to Cathkin were by trolleybus. Think the only time I can mind going by that means of transport was for the Scotland v Brazil game in the year between 1965 and 1967.

61? u must use oil of ulay! Not a day over 30!

Edited by fatha bacon

My first away game would have been a 1-0 win at Love Street. I'm think I gave my mates' uncle my gate money then he pulled me over the turnstile and kept it, but I wasn't sure back then never mind now.

Edited to add, Andy Lyons scored the goal in front of the Thistle support, I think having run on to a through ball not very deep into the St Mirren half. The steepness of that stand scared me.

Edited by twinny

I don’t know when my first game was, I would have been still in nappies, possibly still with my eyes shut. My old man made sure my first game was a Cardiff game so he made my maw take him and me over the border to an away game with Carlisle when I was the ripe old age of 80 days, City drew 1-1 apparently.

I don’t remember when he took me to Firhill for the first time but it would have been not long after so the end of the 83/84 season or the beginning of the next, he’s unfortunately not around anymore to ask, but fair play to him for having the determination to instil his teams into me so young (he also had me on the North Bank at Highbury around 1 year old, my mum took me out at half time cause I was greetin).

August, '74. Pre-season game against Aalborg. Can't remember a damn thing about it except it seemed very exciting to me. Comparing that to the way I feel about pre-season friendlies now just shows what you lose as you get older and more jaded.

we might have won 4-3 after being 4-0 up. We also played another Danish team around the same time, Vejle I think they were called

I must have been about 7 so round about '58 and I saw us play, I think Motherwell. I remember being down at half time as we were getting beat but was up in the clouds when we came back to win. Odd how clearly I always remembered that since I've completely forgotten hundreds of games since then. At least I think so - could be conflating a couple of different games in my memory.

I was a Thistle fan in my mind (lived in Carnarvon St) because they were near and because my best mate was one. But my old man was never interested in football so never saw a game till my mates grandpa decided to take us to Firhill.

Actually after a couple of games I never got to a game again until years later in my teens (I'd moved from Glasgow then) when my folks thought it would be OK for me to go into the big smoke on my own.

Edited by Mr Bunny

1984-85 season 2nd last home game of the season i think defo against east fife 0-0 with benny rooney in charge. Sat in the excellent main stand with my dad and wondered why the jags didnt have red and yellow stripes as we had that mortons rolls yellow with black pinstripes strip infact i dont think i saw the jags score that season as we got beat (by motherwell) i think 1-0 last home game of the season

Edited by Norgethistle

Yes, excellent season. We also turned the tims over at Parkhead, "Geordie, Geordie Shaw, twice"

That song saved me from a doin twice that day.

Coming out of parkhead, on a high one can only ever attain from turning over the the old firm, in a moment of madness two pals and I decided to take a short cut to London Road past the front of the stadium, right into the disgruntled throng of celtic fans calling for their board to be sacked.

Still giddy with glorious victory and praising aloud our sporting triumph, we did not realise until it was too late that we were now "orange b*st*rds" in "Timland" and our unharmed passage to safety was in some doubt. We hastily attempted to make our escape to the comparitive sanity of London Road. Heads bowed amidst a volley of kwenchy cups and over cooked onions from under cooked hot dogs, navigating through the restless natives was tricky. Then, from somewhere in the distance, a friendly chorus could be heard, " Who put the ball in the celtic net? Geordie! Geordie!!!..." We were saved! Safe, at least that is, till we arrived at Bridgeton Cross....

To be continued....

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

My old man, who was a cream bun, would take me along to Firhill in the late 60s now and then when I was a nipper. First game I remember though was last game of the promotion season when I ran on the field with everyone at the end. No idea of opponents but I think we won 4-0.