If The Warriors Move To Scotstoun...

Mediocre Pundit

...and assuming our long term plan remains to redevelop Firhill, what would people's thoughts be on us putting down an artificial surface?

Benefits: players can train at the stadium rather than paying for Glasgow Green, all youth teams can play (and possibly train) at Firhill saving pitch hire, less games postponed, better passing surface, and possibly further income from renting it out at any free times.

Costs: lump sum to purchase and install, it's not grass, potential for needing to rip it up if we get to the SPL (assuming they still don't allow it's use)

Thoughts?

...and assuming our long term plan remains to redevelop Firhill, what would people's thoughts be on us putting down an artificial surface?

Benefits: players can train at the stadium rather than paying for Glasgow Green, all youth teams can play (and possibly train) at Firhill saving pitch hire, less games postponed, better passing surface, and possibly further income from renting it out at any free times.

Costs: lump sum to purchase and install, it's not grass, potential for needing to rip it up if we get to the SPL (assuming they still don't allow it's use)

Thoughts?

I'm all for it. The savings from pitch hire and renting it out would outweigh the installation cost. On top of this the reduced maintenance costs over the next few years would be a great advantage.

Better quality playing surface than what we currently have. It would mean that the pitch can be used so much more frequently, and things like the fans charity match that took place this summer could be done more often. (edited to add, and at any time of year).

Slightly off topic, but something I've wondered in the past. If this was done while the rugby was here (the IRB do allow artificial surfaces) what would the situation with lines be? Would there be yellow lines for one sport and white for the other? And would 7 a side pitches run across the pitch requiring blue lines? Could look awfully messy, what was Hamilton's pitch like when they had theirs?

Edited by twinny

I'm all for it. The savings from pitch hire and renting it out would outweigh the installation cost. On top of this the reduced maintenance costs over the next few years would be a great advantage.

Better quality playing surface than what we currently have. It would mean that the pitch can be used so much more frequently, and things like the fans charity match that took place this summer could be done more often. (edited to add, and at any time of year).

Slightly off topic, but something I've wondered in the past. If this was done while the rugby was here (the IRB do allow artificial surfaces) what would the situation with lines be? Would there be yellow lines for one sport and white for the other? And would 7 a side pitches run across the pitch requiring blue lines? Could look awfully messy, what was Hamilton's pitch like when they had theirs?

Would you not just paint the lines not in use the same colour as the pitch so you can't see them when they aren't needed? I don't remember any different coloured 7 a side lines or anything when they had their fake pitch at Hamilton.

I've always said Scotstoun would be shit to watch anything at and when I was at the sports centre this morn I had a look around. If they do move to Scotstoun, I'd advise them to get a break clause in any contract after year one, because the fans are going to hate it. The stand is completely open to the elements with no wind shields at either end. It's so steep as well that I can't imagine a lot of it would be protected given rain and a bit of wind. It is all shiny and new, but I couldn't imagine sitting there on a wet, windy, baltic Friday night and not coming to the conclusion that anything else would be better. I don't particularly like rugby though so what do I know.

I'm almost inclined to think we should try and sell the propco development site to the Warriors and jointly redevelop Firhill. We each own half the stadium and share the pitch. No?

I've always said Scotstoun would be shit to watch anything at and when I was at the sports centre this morn I had a look around. If they do move to Scotstoun, I'd advise them to get a break clause in any contract after year one, because the fans are going to hate it. The stand is completely open to the elements with no wind shields at either end. It's so steep as well that I can't imagine a lot of it would be protected given rain and a bit of wind. It is all shiny and new, but I couldn't imagine sitting there on a wet, windy, baltic Friday night and not coming to the conclusion that anything else would be better. I don't particularly like rugby though so what do I know.

I'm almost inclined to think we should try and sell the propco development site to the Warriors and jointly redevelop Firhill. We each own half the stadium and share the pitch. No?

no

I've been wondering about exactly that too. Let the Warriors do something with the main stand and bing. Firhill Stadium/Arena jointly owned, with both clubs getting first refusal if the other wants to sell.

I've been wondering about exactly that too. Let the Warriors do something with the main stand and bing. Firhill Stadium/Arena jointly owned, with both clubs getting first refusal if the other wants to sell.

I don't think it's the Warriors that pull the purse strings rather the SRU. Rugger chappies I know tell me that getting that lot to make a decision could take forever.

As for an artificial pitch I'm far from convinced. Fairly sure that all clubs that have installed them have done so purely for financial reasons. Now that's a very good reason to do so but don't kid yourself on that football doesn't suffer.

I don't think it's the Warriors that pull the purse strings rather the SRU. Rugger chappies I know tell me that getting that lot to make a decision could take forever.

As for an artificial pitch I'm far from convinced. Fairly sure that all clubs that have installed them have done so purely for financial reasons. Now that's a very good reason to do so but don't kid yourself on that football doesn't suffer.

Correct. The football is quite different to that on a grass pitch, even with the "top grade" artificial surfaces.

I've been meaning to post this for a while now actually, I heard a rumour a wee while ago, perhaps on P&B, that Queens Park were going to be looking to groundshare in the near future due the the development of Hampden for the Commonwealth Games.

This link explains some of the changes that are going to take place, mainly raising the playing surface 1.5 metres to allow the track and surrounding area to be large enough (covering the lowest few rows of seats) and therefore reducing the capacity to 46,000.

Although this is a temporary change, I'm sure it is something that would take a while to implement. I would think that QP will be kicked out for most of the 2013-14 season at least, and perhaps for some time the following season. If the Warriors are moving away then I think it is very likely that QP will come to Firhill for that time. I'm not sure how this would be funded (i.e. would the games organisers or Hampden Park Ltd have to imburse QP for the displacement allowing them to rent wherever the move?), but would hopefully bring in a similar figure to the rent from the Warriors.

I've been meaning to post this for a while now actually, I heard a rumour a wee while ago, perhaps on P&B, that Queens Park were going to be looking to groundshare in the near future due the the development of Hampden for the Commonwealth Games.

This link explains some of the changes that are going to take place, mainly raising the playing surface 1.5 metres to allow the track and surrounding area to be large enough (covering the lowest few rows of seats) and therefore reducing the capacity to 46,000.

Although this is a temporary change, I'm sure it is something that would take a while to implement. I would think that QP will be kicked out for most of the 2013-14 season at least, and perhaps for some time the following season. If the Warriors are moving away then I think it is very likely that QP will come to Firhill for that time. I'm not sure how this would be funded (i.e. would the games organisers or Hampden Park Ltd have to imburse QP for the displacement allowing them to rent wherever the move?), but would hopefully bring in a similar figure to the rent from the Warriors.

Wouldn't they simply play at Lesser Hampden?

There will be work on that turning it into a training area for the athletics I think, though that wouldn't take nearly as much of the season as the conversion of actual Hampden.

Given that the Warriors play on a Friday night (I think), is there any good reason (apart from the state of the pitch) that Queens couldn't share with us in any case? The Warriors don't have a lot of games, and Firhill remains largely underused.

Given that the Warriors play on a Friday night (I think), is there any good reason (apart from the state of the pitch) that Queens couldn't share with us in any case? The Warriors don't have a lot of games, and Firhill remains largely underused.

I think the pitch would suffer significantly, being in use at least 36 times for football and probably more than a dozen (I don't know what their schedule is like) for the rugby between early August and late April, not taking into account cup draws (which could see us and QP both at home in one weekend/midweek) I don't see three clubs using this stadium. If the artificial pitch was in place then no problem. There are a lot of assumptions here of course, as it is only rumour (from P&B of all places) that QP would look for this.

Edited to add, I had a look for the thread I found the rumour on. Started by none other than our very own Third Lanark there are suggestions they had thought about it in the past, and a QP fan commenting that Queens haven't approached anyone regarding ground sharing.

Edited by twinny

I think the pitch would suffer significantly, being in use at least 36 times for football and probably more than a dozen (I don't know what their schedule is like) for the rugby between early August and late April, not taking into account cup draws (which could see us and QP both at home in one weekend/midweek) I don't see three clubs using this stadium. If the artificial pitch was in place then no problem. There are a lot of assumptions here of course, as it is only rumour (from P&B of all places) that QP would look for this.

Edited to add, I had a look for the thread I found the rumour on. Started by none other than our very own Third Lanark there are suggestions they had thought about it in the past, and a QP fan commenting that Queens haven't approached anyone regarding ground sharing.

Remember the old days when Firhill got used every Saturday, i.e. when the 1st team was away the Reserves would be at home? And there were also midweek games too. Nobody ever really complained back then when the pitch looked like the Somme on a rainy day.

It seems like a sign of the times these days that the poor pitch has to be mollycoddled, not over-used, etc. etc.

B)

Remember the old days when Firhill got used every Saturday, i.e. when the 1st team was away the Reserves would be at home? And there were also midweek games too. Nobody ever really complained back then when the pitch looked like the Somme on a rainy day.

It seems like a sign of the times these days that the poor pitch has to be mollycoddled, not over-used, etc. etc.

B)

I don't really care what the pitch is like to be honest, but it seems that matches are more likely to be called off on tatty fields with refs being overly cautious and players and managers being all girly about it.

What pisses me off more are Morton fans who are all high and mighty in the belief that a decent playing surface means they are the best team in the country, and that everyone else should be ashamed of themselves. You don't go to the football to look at the grass.

IMO Firhill is a mess, unused mainstand , bing at one end, underused away stand and the j.h. is to big for the current attendances , sell up and move to something purpose built , still in maryhill area, hopefully with a training facility with a/w pitches that could be hired out when not in use by the club .

My plan

Build a new fit for purpose stadium across the water 6K capacity.

That is all

IMO Firhill is a mess, unused mainstand , bing at one end, underused away stand and the j.h. is to big for the current attendances , sell up and move to something purpose built , still in maryhill area, hopefully with a training facility with a/w pitches that could be hired out when not in use by the club .

I agree with these.

if we sold Firhill, it is unlikely that we would get enough money to fund a new stadium. The bank would demand that we used a significant proportion to pay off our debts. Queens could move temporarily to Scotstoun, Petershill or Pollok.

Edited by kni