Just In

dpj

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dreadful second half performance (apart from Scully in goal) but somehow we hung on to win 1-0

Here's a video of Cairney's penalty :

Aye, we didn't get going second half, but the players were probably worried about getting their legs broken. A very cynical and dirty team of cheats! Get it right up them!

Thank fcuk for that!!! made the journey home all the more pleasureable :thumbsup2:

Got to the game and heard Fox not playing and Scully was and after seeing him at the Dumbarton game i thought we were doomed!! but he played a blinder and certainly kept us in the game on numerous occassions, Thank you Ryan, for beating those dirty barstewards, it was great, what a really dirty team they were.

At times in the 2nd half it was like been at the Raith game again, passing out of defence was atrocious, especially against 10men, it really was sweaty bum cheek time again for the last 15mins. Ref was terrible, nothing new there, why he didnt send off their player for raising a hand at Erskine just on half time is unbelievable.

We should have scored more goals to make it a bit easier all round, but hey we are the Jags.

Also should have needled their number 7, as he was ready to blow a fuse.

Anyway we won, rejoice and dont get carried away :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

That was a strange game.

We started almost 3-5-2 with Sinclair playing quite far up the pitch and Paton tucked inside. We had a lot of the ball and passed it around quite nicely and had a good penalty shout when Cairney looked to be sandwiched.

The penalty came about when Erskine sprung the offside and ran through with Lockwood on his shoulder. He went past Douglas and went down as he was about to shoot. It looked like a penalty but big Rab went mental when the red card was flashed at him.

We started the second half cockily, holding onto the ball, stroking it around and it was a bit like the Berwick game since it just wound Dundee up and for twenty minutes they went at us like tigers. I have to say that Archie and Balatoni did a great job of keeping them in hand and Scully made a couple of great saves.

We could and should have wrapped t up in the last fifteen when Stewart and Cairney both had great chances.

Bemusing and wryly amusing in equal measure.

PS the ref was unbelievably bad.

Edited by honved

That was one of the longest and nerve-racking thistle games ive been to. We seemed to stop playing after scoring. Dundee should have had 3 players sent off. That tackle from weston was terrible, more like a rugby challenge. Scully had a brilliant game. Not sure the reason for scott fox being out, but i think he needs to take a few weeks out to regain his confidence. We pressed the self destruct button in the second half. Kyle Hutton gave the ball away far too much. But i think that we deserved a decision in our favour, especially after the dundee player dived for the penalty in the first match at firhill. Mon the Jags!

A hugely satisfying result. I truly loathe Dundee Football Club, and this result is so so sweet. Couldn't be there myself, but a huge well done to the boys (and girls) who went there today to roar the Thistle onto victoreeeee.

Hello, we are Thistle. Get it directly up you Dundee. We are the Jags.

That was awful. If it wasn't for Ryan Scully, we would deservedly had lost that game, shameful performance against 10 men, Dundee totally outfought/thought/ran us, delighted to have beaten Dundee, I despise them, and have avoided going there for years, can't stand to give them money, delighted to get it up them tonight, but that was just so bad.

Players had no confidence in each other, passing woeful, hutton wanting far too much time on ball, and we were toothless in attack with the exception of maybe Erskine.

I actually thought the ref was good, he was strong, could have gave Erskine second yellow for elbowing McGregor, Dundee fans baying for blood calling for penalties and bookings, and he was strong, thought he was least of our worries.

Delighted for Ryan Scully, one or two unconvincing moments with ball at feet, or knee should I say, but he was otherwise outstanding, well done young man.

Thought the 352 up until sending off looked good, Paton played well right side of back 3, but we thought we'd pish it after they got the sending off, and we were very lucky to win that match. Anyways, bring on the County.

So good to GIRU them. They are Dundee and deserve all the sh!t that comes their way. They'll be back to crowds of under 3000 by the end of the season.

We took 0 points from Dundee and Falkirk in our first 'round' of games - that's us taken 4 points in the second 'round' - long may it continue.

Performance might not have been up to scratch - but it's points in the bag.

Edited by MerryHell

A hugely satisfying result. I truly loathe Dundee Football Club, and this result is so so sweet. Couldn't be there myself, but a huge well done to the boys (and girls) who went there today to roar the Thistle onto victoreeeee.

Hello, we are Thistle. Get it directly up you Dundee. We are the Jags.

Ditto Blackpool, great day out, a very nasty shower that lot!

If the sign of a good manager is being able to win ugly, then Jackie must be the best we have ever had!

A game we should have coasted after going 1-0 up against 10 men, turned into a scary last 45 or 60 as it went on a bit.

Delighted getting the 3 points, though the fans were made to suffer right up to the final whistle.

I have to admit, like many I was not confident to find out Scully was in goal, and yes he did flap at a few, but fair play to Ryan, he pulled off a few great stops and fully merited the chants of "There is only one Ryan Scully....." at the end of the game. Ryan after a dreadful second half performance by the team, you were the the difference of 1 and 3 points.

Great 3 points, delighted but hard going too.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

When your man Riley 'dived' against us on the first game of the season, there was mass outrage.

When Chris Erskine went down under little contact yesterday (in my opinion), there is nothing here. Did Rab even touch him? I thought there might have been a brush with a defender.

We were rotten yesterday when they went down to 10 men, but its a great 3 points, well done to all of them.

Ryan Scully was absolutely superb apart from that dodgy knee. He made some top drawer saves and deserves the huge ovation he got at the end. Great noisy support through yesterday.

When your man Riley 'dived' against us on the first game of the season, there was mass outrage.

When Chris Erskine went down under little contact yesterday (in my opinion), there is nothing here. Did Rab even touch him? I thought there might have been a brush with a defender.

We were rotten yesterday when they went down to 10 men, but its a great 3 points, well done to all of them.

Ryan Scully was absolutely superb apart from that dodgy knee. He made some top drawer saves and deserves the huge ovation he got at the end. Great noisy support through yesterday.

Had a look at the Dundee website and there's a picture of Erskine with Douglas nowhere near touching him. Is it the moment of impact? Is Lockwood shoving him in the back? Hard to tell. I thought that it was a penalty from the second I saw it, but we were side on to it as you know so the angle was everything.

In the Riley incident, I think the entire Jackie Husband stand had a better view than the referee and I still think he invited the challenge. I don't think Erskine did that yesterday, I think he was trying to stay on his feet. But, hey, I'm a Thistle fan, so I have the red n yella tinted glasses on. I can't say that Dundee are a team I'd be inclined to feel any sympathy for in any circumstances. A great history, great supporters, but stained by a reputation gained over the last 20 years of shady dealings.

I'm reading great reports about Scully but not having been there did David Cairney and Sekhon have good debuts?

To be honest I was very disappointed in Sekhon, if ever a performance by a player could be termed invisible, this was it. Having said that Sekon was the only player that never gave the ball away - sorry was forgetting about David Cairney for a moment - and had it not been for Scully, Sekhon would have been a potential contender for MOM.

I am not going to lose any sleep over the fact we got a penalty yesterday. We have had dodgy penalties given against us this season, and stonewallers denied.

We won the game, 3pts in bag.

Top of the league Ross County next week. Anyone remember what happened the last time a team at the top of the league visited Firhill? ;)

I am not going to lose any sleep over the fact we got a penalty yesterday. We have had dodgy penalties given against us this season, and stonewallers denied.

We won the game, 3pts in bag.

Top of the league Ross County next week. Anyone remember what happened the last time a team at the top of the league visited Firhill? ;)

Can we get it played on the friday?

Erskine quoted in the paper today as saying big rab never touched him he was pushed in the back by lockwood

I can't remember us winning a match that we deserved so much to lose! It was quite frankly an atrocious display against a 10-man team.

Before the sending off we outplayed Dundee, who were about as poor a Dundee team as I can recall. But after the sending off they outplayed, outfought (sometimes literally) and outran us, and if wasn't for Ryan Scully's wonderful display they could have scored 5 or 6. Right enough we had several glorious chances too that were totally wasted (Elliot, Cairney, Stewart...).

In the second half we looked every bit like a team heading for relegation that has collapsed as a unit; that's how bad it was. No confidence in hitting passes to each other, players getting in each other's way, crowded in the middle of the park with no movement off the ball....

In fact, the gentlemanly thing to do would be to acknowledge how unlucky Dundee were and relinquish the three points.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Couple of questions then. Would Douglas have saved the penalty and would Lockwood off instead of McIntosh made much difference? :unsure::unsure:

You can never say, though doubt anyone would have saved Cairney's penalty.

as smith decided to sacrifice McIntosh instead of Lockwood, then have to assume he thought that was the best option and therefore Lockwood instead of McIntosh would not have made any significant difference.

In summary, No & No!